Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: which players will play their last test matches in the forthcoming ashes series

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Watto was doing exactly that. Quickfire 30-40 with the chance of a little higher on occasion. He was dropped down the order specifically because it wasn't what the team needed, hence why Cowan. Cowan is doing what Watto did but slower, hurting the oppo less and looking worse.

Anyway, that's my perception of why Cowan will be dropped. He's not scoring tons and not really contributing so I'm guessing they'll go back to Watson, especially since he's been meh for Notts. He might not score many more but the way he'll go about it will hurt England more, he bowls really well even as a part-timer (especially in England) and is far more useful in the field.
    Shane Watson far more useful in the field than Ed Cowan? I don't agree with this, Cowan has been good under the lid for us. I think Cowan will continue for now just because there are other better with more question marks even if they have a higher upside.

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    A regular Akash Chopra..
    Exactly, why did India do so well in 03/04? They got through the new ball, while Australia don't have the same middle order talent they will be better off surviving Jimmy and the first hour than losing early wickets.
    Proudly supporting the world's no 1 spin bowler Rangana Herath and the mighty Sri Lankans!

I even made a domestic thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Shane Watson far more useful in the field than Ed Cowan? I don't agree with this, Cowan has been good under the lid for us. I think Cowan will continue for now just because there are other better with more question marks even if they have a higher upside.
    Come on, you're just being contrary for the sake of it here. Watson has Cowan beat as a catcher anywhere but short-leg, in ground-fielding and has a bigger arm. In the field, Watson an athlete, Cowan's a plonker.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 25-06-2013 at 10:20 PM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Come on, you're just being contrary for the sake of it here. Watson has Cowan beat as a catcher anywhere but short-leg, in ground-fielding and has a bigger arm. In the field, Watson an athlete, Cowan's a plonker.
    No actually, I said what I said because its what I think.

Watson most definitely has a bigger arm, but I disagree that his ability at catching or ground fielding is anything above Cowan's.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Watson isn't really good at the whole moving around thing while fielding
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Watson in the field resembles the Tin Man from Wizard of Oz.

watson does have a chat to the younger bowlers, not sure if what he is saying is of any use but he does
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

U19 Cricketer
    Can't help but feel as though Cowan may have played his last test

Tournaments Won: 1
    Cowan was never going to be anything more than a plug, imo. He's done well but is never going to be more than sufficient. As soon as a talented opener proves himself ready for international cricket, he'll take Cowan's place.
    @CowsCorner - 202 followers and counting!

Disclaimer: I am a biased South African. Anything I say is likely to have something in it that ultimately favours the Proteas.

Watson as a bowler seams to have what it takes to get the wickets. Boof putting him up top of the order sounds strange for what people are used to for an allrounder I think but if it works gee I won't say no. I want a good opener to take the new ball out of it.
    Cowan does that too to a certain extent, yeah he probably needs to count himself lucky until someone really puts their hand up at shield level.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPrez View Post
    Cowan was never going to be anything more than a plug, imo. He's done well but is never going to be more than sufficient. As soon as a talented opener proves himself ready for international cricket, he'll take Cowan's place.
    talented opener?

Was Katich ever "talented"? Graeme Smith?

Anyway, There's only Warner who would possibly fit into the "talented" category without having major technical problems.

Talented, meaning having the potential to be a quality international opener. The choice of words may not have been ideal.

As opposed to Cowan, who's done a good enough job, but will never be anything more than a useful domestic star.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPrez View Post
    As opposed to Cowan, who's done a good enough job, but will never be anything more than a useful domestic star.
    I don't get this.

He has a decent technique. Has scored a century against a quality attack. And doesn't appear to have glaring weaknesses.

I see no reason why he won't be a "quality international opener".

That's just it. He has decent technique. He doesn't have any glaring weaknesses.

He's a good cricketer. But he hasn't got anything that will make him anything more than a useful international player.

"Useful" is still better than "has glaring weaknesses" though.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information