• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

which players will play their last test matches in the forthcoming ashes series

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Cowan wouldn't be under so much pressure if the middle order actually consolidated on the solid starts he often makes, so instead everyone hounds him for not going on and making big scores. TBH If he made 30 every innings and saw off the new ball he would be just about doing his job.
A regular Akash Chopra.. ;)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd be careful about that. Cowan came into the side when Watson was injured, and did OK against India. Had a couple of rough decisions but went OK. Then the most obvious person to drop from that side once Watson returned was Smarsh, so Watson moved into three. That's pretty much where he's batted since, until Hughes came in to replace Ponting, and as Hughes is a more natural opener, that's why he bats three and Watson four.

That's just how I see it anyway. I can see your gripe with Cowan. I personally would keep him, just because I think the alternatives aren't all that flash anyway. But I'd be careful about suggesting that Watson was moved down the order because they weren't happy with what he was doing at the top of the order. I think it was more just that they weren't displeased with what the other openers did when Watson was injured.
Yeah, quick spot of Googling and what I said is probably more a reflection of what I said at the time than what anyone in the hierarchy were saying. :ph34r:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Watto was doing exactly that. Quickfire 30-40 with the chance of a little higher on occasion. He was dropped down the order specifically because it wasn't what the team needed, hence why Cowan. Cowan is doing what Watto did but slower, hurting the oppo less and looking worse.

Anyway, that's my perception of why Cowan will be dropped. He's not scoring tons and not really contributing so I'm guessing they'll go back to Watson, especially since he's been meh for Notts. He might not score many more but the way he'll go about it will hurt England more, he bowls really well even as a part-timer (especially in England) and is far more useful in the field.
Shane Watson far more useful in the field than Ed Cowan? I don't agree with this, Cowan has been good under the lid for us. I think Cowan will continue for now just because there are other better with more question marks even if they have a higher upside.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
A regular Akash Chopra.. ;)
Exactly, why did India do so well in 03/04? They got through the new ball, while Australia don't have the same middle order talent they will be better off surviving Jimmy and the first hour than losing early wickets.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shane Watson far more useful in the field than Ed Cowan? I don't agree with this, Cowan has been good under the lid for us. I think Cowan will continue for now just because there are other better with more question marks even if they have a higher upside.
Come on, you're just being contrary for the sake of it here. Watson has Cowan beat as a catcher anywhere but short-leg, in ground-fielding and has a bigger arm. In the field, Watson an athlete, Cowan's a plonker.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Come on, you're just being contrary for the sake of it here. Watson has Cowan beat as a catcher anywhere but short-leg, in ground-fielding and has a bigger arm. In the field, Watson an athlete, Cowan's a plonker.
No actually, I said what I said because its what I think.

Watson most definitely has a bigger arm, but I disagree that his ability at catching or ground fielding is anything above Cowan's.

uvelocity

International Coach
watson does have a chat to the younger bowlers, not sure if what he is saying is of any use but he does

MrPrez

International Debutant
Cowan was never going to be anything more than a plug, imo. He's done well but is never going to be more than sufficient. As soon as a talented opener proves himself ready for international cricket, he'll take Cowan's place.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Watson as a bowler seams to have what it takes to get the wickets. Boof putting him up top of the order sounds strange for what people are used to for an allrounder I think but if it works gee I won't say no. I want a good opener to take the new ball out of it.
Cowan does that too to a certain extent, yeah he probably needs to count himself lucky until someone really puts their hand up at shield level.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Cowan was never going to be anything more than a plug, imo. He's done well but is never going to be more than sufficient. As soon as a talented opener proves himself ready for international cricket, he'll take Cowan's place.
talented opener?

Was Katich ever "talented"? Graeme Smith?

Anyway, There's only Warner who would possibly fit into the "talented" category without having major technical problems.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Talented, meaning having the potential to be a quality international opener. The choice of words may not have been ideal.

As opposed to Cowan, who's done a good enough job, but will never be anything more than a useful domestic star.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
As opposed to Cowan, who's done a good enough job, but will never be anything more than a useful domestic star.
I don't get this.

He has a decent technique. Has scored a century against a quality attack. And doesn't appear to have glaring weaknesses.

I see no reason why he won't be a "quality international opener".

MrPrez

International Debutant
That's just it. He has decent technique. He doesn't have any glaring weaknesses.

He's a good cricketer. But he hasn't got anything that will make him anything more than a useful international player.