• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Trent Bridge

Backlash

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hmm would surely be a tight 2nd. League and soccer must be close. Even tennis couldn't be too far behind, although it's probably dropped somewhat in recent times. What would you have in 2nd for England?
Yes soccer will go past it. Probably a few other sports too.

I would had guessed Rugby was bigger in England than Cricket nowadays.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes soccer will go past it. Probably a few other sports too.

I would had guessed Rugby was bigger in England than Cricket nowadays.
Depressingly Rugger may well be second, but they're all really pecking at footballs scraps. For comparison the Rugger-buggers got 800k watching yesterday. Tennis will get massive figures today, then be practically ignored for the rest of the year.

sphynx

U19 Debutant
In terms of popularity, crowds and money.

AFL

daylight

League
Cricket
Soccer
Union

In that order imo. Close between cricket and soccer.

The Big Bash is getting bigger, and bringing coin into CA coffers, but so is the continual world cup qualifications of the socceroo's. They'll close the gap on the AFL in the next 20 years, never get there though.

The AFL is the 3rd highest attended sport in the world for a reason.

The AFL to Australia is pretty much what the Premier League is to England.

Last edited:

Backlash

School Boy/Girl Captain
Depressingly Rugger may well be second, but they're all really pecking at footballs scraps. For comparison the Rugger-buggers got 800k watching yesterday. Tennis will get massive figures today, then be practically ignored for the rest of the year.
Yeah, the distance between the #1 and #2 in Australia is nowhere near as big as it is in England.

Which begs the question why aren't you any good at it?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, the distance between the #1 and #2 in Australia is nowhere near as big as it is in England.

Which begs the question why aren't you any good at it?
Do you want a serious answer or are you just having a dig?

Personally I've always believed it's a lack of understanding and coaching for the technical side of the game, not as simple as that obvs, and others will have other answers.

Still it's not easy to be good at it, as every other bugger in the World wants to be too.

Off-topic though, sure there's threads about it elsewhere.

Backlash

School Boy/Girl Captain
In terms of popularity, crowds and money.

AFL

daylight

League
Cricket
Soccer
Union

In that order imo. Close between cricket and soccer.

The Big Bash is getting bigger, and bringing coin into CA coffers, but so is the continual world cup qualifications of the socceroo's. They'll close the gap on the AFL in the next 20 years, never get there though.

The AFL is the 3rd highest attended sport in the world for a reason.

The AFL to Australia is pretty much what the Premier League is to England.
Hmm AFL still isn't that big in NSW & Queensland. I wouldn't say that myself.

Do you want a serious answer or are you just having a dig?

Personally I've always believed it's a lack of understanding and coaching for the technical side of the game, not as simple as that obvs, and others will have other answers.

Still it's not easy to be good at it, as every other bugger in the World wants to be too.

Off-topic though, sure there's threads about it elsewhere.
Yes, I was having a dig, sorry. I had to get a kick in, the English have been running their mouths nonstop of late. A lot of it has been about the Rugby too which is weird since it was the Welsh who won it last night, not them.

Ruckus

International Captain
I think how a country plays a sport, especially with football, can often be reflective of the culture. E.g. South Americans play football much like they express other elements of their culture - with flair, zeal and flamboyance. Countries like Australia, England and the US have a far more mechanical approach to playing, which in general just isn't as successful.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At the risk of stereotyping I guess you can see it in cricket as well. Asia tends to come up with the more unorthodox players compared to places like England. Sometimes it's good, other times not so much.

Many counter examples obviously..

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Sub-continent conditions probably have something to do with the difference in players, as well as the lack of uniformity in grassroots level coaching, it allows some players with unorthodox methods to stick to them and refine them at international level.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Hmm would surely be a tight 2nd. League and soccer must be close. Even tennis couldn't be too far behind, although it's probably dropped somewhat in recent times. What would you have in 2nd for England?
Union easily.

Cricket probably scores pretty well in terms of participation (IIRC it's 2nd in Scotland) but not in terms of spectators.

Swingpanzee

International Regular
the lack of uniformity in grassroots level coaching, it allows some players with unorthodox methods to stick to them and refine them at international level.
I think this is a bit true. I play with friends in India and often each of us comes up with unorthodox techniques which make the game interesting and lend it a bit of variety. It's also to do with the pitch of the subcontinent, easy batting so it allows rooms for experimentation and successful improvisation. The exact opposite with fast bowling, though.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I think a few of the CW crowd in England and in NZ might have a squizz at it.
yeah, there's all these randoms suddenly posting "go maroon" on facebook and I'm like wtf? why do you care?

I love you too man.

It's funny when Kiwis move here and find out for themselves. They always end up so devastated. They actually thought they were beating us at something Australians cared about.
yeah we tend to just send over our second-rate union players to become your top NRL stars. works out allright.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Just how long have you been living here Adders? You don't seem to have much of a grasp on Australian sports. Union is about 4th or 5th in the pecking order and it's never do much better than that.
Well first up Backlash I'd like to congratulate you on your first post in 60 that is not a boring whinge about Cricket Australia..........well done. Unfortunately it is still a rank effort.

I wasn't placing Rugby Union in any sort of ranking order, I was merely replying to Burgmeisters comment.....

Umm, no one in Australia gives a **** about rugby mate.
Apart from being a predictable and rather weak response from someone from the losing side, it is also bollocks. You might only rank Union 4th or 5th in the pecking order here and that may be the case, but to say no one in Australia cares about the sport is just rubbish. These 3 Lions games were played in packed stadiums in 3 different States, no idea what the TV viewing figures were like but if Channel 10 were showing the games in prime time one would assume very decent. I myself had half a dozen texts during Saturday along the lines of "Go Wallabies" from friends around the country (funnily enough I haven't had any response to my replies sent on Sunday!!)

I doubt tennis ranks that highly in England as a sport, but I'll bet more than half the country stopped and watched the Wimbledon Mens Final yesterday........but no one in England gives a **** about tennis right?? If by some major miracle the Aussie rabble should manage to win this Ashes series, I'm going to pull out a Burgesque line that no one in England gives a **** about cricket.........wonder how far that will get me in here.

Just because something isn't the most popular, doesn't mean it still can't be popular. There was plenty of interest in this Rugby Series in Oz, to say otherwise is bull****.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Heard a report this morning that Lehmann had indicated the batting order is really a matter for Clarke (as it traditionally would be). Assuming that's the case, you would think Clarke will bat five as its his preferred spot. Presumably that means Cowan and Hughes at three and four with Smith or Khawaja at six.

Does anyone really think Faulkner will play? I'd have thought a standard line up with Haddin at seven and four bowlers would be favoured for this test.

Siddle, Patto and Lyon seem to be a lock, so it's probably out of Starc and Bird for the third quick spot, unless there's a real concern about Siddle's form in the lead up. I think they'll run with Starc, which actually would give us a ridiculously strong tail, not that that should really come into reckoning.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Forkers won't get a start IMO. After the peanut gallery came down hard on Invers for the all-rounder strategy in India it's hard to see him as either our 6th best option with the bat or 4th best option with the ball. Didn't really see the logic of him in the squad ahead of Smith.

If injuries really hit the fan he'll get a go, but it won't be in Ashes-winning circumstances.

I'm quite inclined to be conservative and field Siddle/Patto/Harris/Lyon, which on paper is our best Test attack since 06/07.