• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Trent Bridge

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I hadn't read that anywhere, tbh. This article today strongly suggests to me they're still tossing up who to bat at 3.
Fair enough. The interview with Cowan the other day made it seem like his place at #3 is assured, to me. Or rather, he basically said if he plays it will be at 3, as opposed to opening, and he'd known that for some time. I think they'll see Cowan at 3 as a safe pick and be worried about a fragile order tending towards collapses if they pick Warner at 3, Hughes at 5 and Smith at 6, though that'd the team I'd go for. I expected them to leave Warner out until today but if they are going to pick him, I think it'll be lower down the order instead of Smith/Khawaja.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
What do English fans feel about the treatment meted out to Compton? I'm reading some stuff on cricinfo and it seems like the selectors *think* that Root is the best opening partner for Cook in the country. On the basis of Compton's twin failures against the Kiwis at home. One wishes the young man luck but I think England are going to miss some dourness.

Expressway76

U19 Vice-Captain
What do English fans feel about the treatment meted out to Compton? I'm reading some stuff on cricinfo and it seems like the selectors *think* that Root is the best opening partner for Cook in the country. On the basis of Compton's twin failures against the Kiwis at home. One wishes the young man luck but I think England are going to miss some dourness.

My guess is that with Cook and Trott in the upper order, they were looking for someone to add a bit of stroke play and urgency to their dogged crease occupation. Compton is a bit too similar a type of player to those two and our innings sometimes get sapped of momentum. I do think he's been unfairly treated though as he's done what they've asked of him after his NZ series failures.

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm pretty much on record as saying it's the wrong decision. Compton has done better in some ways then his average expresses. He bats for a long time and has taken the brunt of the new-ball on most of his appearances. Would be invaluable against a team whose only threat maybe the new ball. Also Root was performing where he was why **** it around, JB has looked every bit as nervy as Compo at times, but Compton has scored the more runs.

Mind you they'll all score runs against the rabble, so it matters little, Boycotts mum, any of the English Sky commentary team or even Ravi could bat a session I reckon.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Regardless of what side of the Root v Compton fence you sit, I'm not convinced by Bairstow at 6.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Regardless of what side of the Root v Compton fence you sit, I'm not convinced by Bairstow at 6.
+1. This really isn't Root V's Compton it's Compton V's Bairstow.....and as a test cricketer to do a job in an Ashes series my money is on Compton every day. Reckon Flowers made a major **** up here........just hope it doesn't cost us.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Billy the trumpeter has been banned from Trent Bridge (well his trumpet)
Absolutely ****ing disgraceful.

Lords is a bit of a different kettle of fish and I wouldn't expect the stuffed shirts there to ever let Billy in with his trumpet........but for any other English test venue to ban him is just unbelievable. With the exception of Brisbane (quickly sorted) he has been welcomed all over the world.........but not in his own back yard?? ****ing joke.

The administrators in England need to start appreciating what the Barmy Army has done for English cricket......they should be bending over backwards to accommodate them not ostracising them. The reason England is the draw card for any test series anywhere in the world is not because of the team.......it's because of the 1000's of fans that follow them everywhere spending up.

This news has seriously pissed me off.......bastards.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We all know if they let him play there'd be just as many whinging Poms bitching about the noise.

Many of them would be the same people now whinging he's not allowed to play. It's a whinge-a-thon.

It's Englishism.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Adders. Addressing cricket's biggest issues since July 2013.

All relative Burgmeister. I'm quite sure it is of no interest or consequence to you......but I can assure you it is for a great many cricket fans.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah it's a stupid policy. It's Trent Bridge ffs, what do they have to lose?
Their status as a test venue if I had my way. ****ers have only just got this Ashes test back by the skin of their teeth.........don't deserve to have it.

flibbertyjibber

We all know if they let him play there'd be just as many whinging Poms bitching about the noise.

Many of them would be the same people now whinging he's not allowed to play. It's a whinge-a-thon.

It's Englishism.
Judging by the rugby yesterday I presume Australianism is going down with no fight or character. Cricketers to follow in the next few weeks.

Spikey

Absolutely ****ing disgraceful.

Lords is a bit of a different kettle of fish and I wouldn't expect the stuffed shirts there to ever let Billy in with his trumpet........but for any other English test venue to ban him is just unbelievable. With the exception of Brisbane (quickly sorted) he has been welcomed all over the world.........but not in his own back yard?? ****ing joke.

The administrators in England need to start appreciating what the Barmy Army has done for English cricket......they should be bending over backwards to accommodate them not ostracising them. The reason England is the draw card for any test series anywhere in the world is not because of the team.......it's because of the 1000's of fans that follow them everywhere spending up.

This news has seriously pissed me off.......bastards.
rules are rules imo.