• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Trent Bridge

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Billy the trumpeter has been banned from Trent Bridge (well his trumpet)

Also Mike Selvey on twitter suggesting Onions will be in the squad as selectors unhappy with both Bresnan and Onions form.

edit. Judging by all the england players coming out of support of him on twitter i have a feeling the trumpet ban will be overturned.

Bresnan and Finn's form? Yes, I read that too. According to his piece in the Guardian, Onions out-bowled them both in the latter stages of the Essex match. And you'd think that Trent Bridge is one of those grounds that would suit Onions.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Bresnan and Finn's form? Yes, I read that too. According to his piece in the Guardian, Onions out-bowled them both in the latter stages of the Essex match. And you'd think that Trent Bridge is one of those grounds that would suit Onions.
Yeah sorry typo.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Guessing the comments today about Warner indicate he might bat 6. They've all but confirmed that Cowan is batting at 3 so it seems like there's no other place for him.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Twatto
Rogers
Cowan
Hughes
Clarke
Warner

Is what I'm expecting after those comments. Apparently Clarke doesn't like Smith or Uzi. Is Uzi set to be the non playing reserve bat again. He really needs to buy Clarke a latte or something.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Guessing the comments today about Warner indicate he might bat 6. They've all but confirmed that Cowan is batting at 3 so it seems like there's no other place for him.
I hadn't read that anywhere, tbh. This article today strongly suggests to me they're still tossing up who to bat at 3.

ne of the touring team's most troubling cases is that of Ed Cowan, possessed of an accumulator's method that suggests he should reach three figures regularly. It was with a scoring sequence of 134*, 145, 10, 65, 145* and 109 in the lead-up to the 2011 Boxing Day Test against India that Cowan won his international berth, but since being given his baggy green cap he has made only one century in Tests - against South Africa in Brisbane last year.

Lehmann acknowledged that Cowan had left his place open to conjecture by repeatedly failing to go on to big scores, the latest a typically middling double of 58 and 34 against Worcestershire. "He got some runs, you'd love him to make some hundreds and put his position beyond any doubt at all," Lehmann said. "But we've just got to sit down and work out whether he's in that top six or not."
As I've said before, Cowan being an accumulator but having the ability to go on an anchor an innings for regular tons was literally what he was picked for. That he hasn't translated that from FC to Tests means there's not many reasons to retain him. Your number 3 definitely has to be scoring tons.

In the current environment, I'm thinking a bloke who might miss a bit more often than Cowan but is more likely to rip a ton off the English would prove more valuable over the course of a series to the current selectorials. I'm telling all you ****s, Warner's batting at 3 the next Test.

Last edited:

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
A proper 3 can consolidate or attack. Warner has 1 speed. Him at 3 with Clarke at 4 means we are 1 good pill and a bad slog fromour best bat walking out way to early.

Top_Cat

That's not been true for a long time. He seriously has one of the only solid techniques in the top-6 (not saying much, I know).

uvelocity

International Coach
well the way its going it could be all new positions since last season, which is pretty extraordinary

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What's a Shook, is it a chicken, I haven't watch Neighbours or H&A for awhile since I discovered Imagefap obvs.

Spikey

ECB said to be left fuming after hamish amla knocked back their selection offer.

aussie tragic

International Captain
England 13-man squad for first Test:

Alastair Cook, Joe Root, Jonathan Trott, Kevin Pietersen, Ian Bell, Jonny Bairstow, Matt Prior, Stuart Broad, Graeme Swann, Steven Finn, James Anderson, Tim Bresnan, Graham Onions