• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Trent Bridge

Philhughesisbes

School Boy/Girl Captain
That Aus has so many 'openers' in the squad sorta tells you about how rubbery that delineation between batting positions really is. Selection based on position doesn't really happen that way, comes down to who wants it and whether they can do it as well as team balance, etc. If all 4 of Cowan, Watson, Rogers and Hughes got hit by a bus tomorrow and Steve Smith woke up in a crazy mood saying he wanted the job, the selectors aren't going to say nup, sorry mate but you're a number 6 and go scouring the country for Shield openers. This idea that you pick guys set in stone at their positions and never will they bat anywhere else just ain't true.

It remains true that if your technique is good enough to play Test cricket, it's good enough to bat anywhere. Just depends on how adaptable you are, team balance/needs, etc.
Agreed with this.

On another note imo Smith has †o be our number 6 now. He has been in top form and has come of age.If Warner had match practise then my opinion would be different though.I can"t imagine Cowan lining up for the first test, has †o be Khawaja at 3 nøw.I"m not a fan of Watson opening but that won't change.Rogers though is a gun and a good move from selectors in picking him.Hughes and Khawaja need an extended run now and with Leehman (sp) that looks likely.I susupect the lineup for the first test will have a good blend of youth and experience and also the best 6 batsman in the country.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
Hoping for

Watson
Rogers
Usman/Hughes
Clarke
Warner
Smith
Haddin
Pattinson
Harris
Bird
Lyon

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Except we already have an opener at 3 called Hughes. I don't see what Cowan in particular brings over Hughes, Uzi and Smith. Warner is explosive on his batting but only made his name as an opener. Plus he's been a real **** recently and needs a wake up IMO.
I think Cowan can consolidate more (block out) if an early wicket falls than say a a Hughes or Smith, I like Uzi's technique over all of them probably, but I wouldn't mind Cowan at 3 over Hughes.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Thinking Harris won't play unless he bowls really well today. Guessing:

Rogers
Watson
Cowan
Clarke
Hughes
Smith
Haddin
Siddle
Pattinson
Starc
Lyon

Could also see them picking Warner or Khawaja over Smith, or Bird over Starc. Rest will play I think.

greg

International Debutant
England's middle order feels vulnerable to me. Too many counter-attackers and not enough consolidators.

Also, and it may sound strange, but i fear that Root could be a bit too "busy" to open the batting. England's first priority in this series should be to see off the new ball with wickets intact with the domination coming in the middle order. I don't care how fast they score from the start. I predict running mix-ups between Root looking to run quick singles and Trott sitting on his bat immersed in his own little world. In the Essex match i also worried a bit how often he seemed to defend with an angled bat.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England's middle order feels vulnerable to me. Too many counter-attackers and not enough consolidators.

Also, and it may sound strange, but i fear that Root could be a bit too "busy" to open the batting. England's first priority in this series should be to see off the new ball with wickets intact with the domination coming in the middle order. I don't care how fast they score from the start. I predict running mix-ups between Root looking to run quick singles and Trott sitting on his bat immersed in his own little world. In the Essex match i also worried a bit how often he seemed to defend with an angled bat.
He plays that way a lot from what I have seen

The Kiwis aren't bad bowlers but Pattinson is all that plus 5 mph and I can see him getting Root to nick off regularly if he continues trying to run balls down to third man

iamdavid

International Debutant
Hoping we go with

Watson
Rogers
Hughes
Cowan/Khawaja
Clarke*
Smith
Haddin+
Starc
Pattinson
Lyon
Bird

Harsh on Siddle, but they should be wary of picking him and Starc in the same side, they're both just too prone to having poor days. With Bird on the other hand I feel like there's much less that can go wrong and he's no less likely to be penetrative than Siddle, With Starc and Pattinson at 8 and 9 they don't really need Siddle's batting either. Harris by all reports is a little under-done at present so I wouldn't pick him either.

Smith ahead of Warner for number 6, Smith has form, momentum and attitude on his side, Warner has looked suspect starting his innings against spin in the past, this in combination with inexperience in the middle order and left-handedness mean I fear Swann would be all over him.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Does seem likely that Hughes will bat 5 given how many times he batted there in the warm ups... So maybe as someone already posted, this is the probable line up:

Rogers
Watson
Cowan
Clarke
Hughes
Smith
Haddin
Siddle
Starc
Pattinson
Lyon

King Pietersen

International Captain
Should be:

Cook *
Root
Trott
Pietersen
Bell
Bairstow
Prior +
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Finn

For England, but it wouldn't surprise me if Big Tim ended up in the side. I hope not though. Finn's a much better bowler, and looks a more consistent threat than Bresnan. Bell and Bairstow in need of runs in the middle order. Bell's not had the best 18 months, and there are still question marks over Bairstow, especially considering the lack of cricket he's had this summer. Hopefully they'll both perform, but a fresh from long layoff KP, an out of form Bell, and an out of practise Bairstow doesn't look particularly strong on paper. Just need to hope the Top 3 put in consistent performances really.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
that England team looks all right, but a few early strikes to the Aussies certainly puts the middle order under the spotlight, Pietersen is a handy reinforcement though.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
From an England perspective I hope Australia go with Starc and Siddle. Not to say that with Pattinson that it is not a dangerous line-up because it is but it could also leak a lot of runs if they don't bowl well. If one of those is expensive then it puts an awful lot of pressure on Lyon, really hope England don't play him in the same plodding manner that they did Bruce Martin.

FBU

International Debutant
Well England would be happy with Clarke batting at 4, average 22.20 instead of at 5 average 63.95.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Billy the trumpeter has been banned from Trent Bridge (well his trumpet)

Also Mike Selvey on twitter suggesting Onions will be in the squad as selectors unhappy with both Bresnan and Finn's form.

edit. Judging by all the england players coming out of support of him on twitter i have a feeling the trumpet ban will be overturned.

Last edited: