• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Trent Bridge

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ed Cowan just interviewed on Sydney radio. Said the move to Watson and Rogers was something he had been told about before leaving on the tour. He have a very, very strong indication that he will likely be batting three in the tests.

If that comes to pass, I suppose te line up would be something like

MeMeMe
Ranga
Fast Eddie
Prince
MJ
Smitteh/ 9mm
Rad Hadds
***eh Vegeh
Starceh/ Alcatraz/ Rhino
Patto
Gazza

Unless 9mm has usurped Prince.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I feel like if Hughes is being taken on tour he should be played.

Like, either they have confidence that he's fixed his weaknesses or they don't. If they think that he has then he's surely the incumbent, and I can't see what Khawaja has done to change that.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Ed Cowan just interviewed on Sydney radio. Said the move to Watson and Rogers was something he had been told about before leaving on the tour. He have a very, very strong indication that he will likely be batting three in the tests.

If that comes to pass, I suppose te line up would be something like

MeMeMe
Ranga
Fast Eddie
Prince
MJ
Smitteh/ 9mm
Rad Hadds
***eh Vegeh
Starceh/ Alcatraz/ Rhino
Patto
Gazza

Unless 9mm has usurped Prince.
Where the **** did you get Alcatraz from? Jail Bird?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think this might be the line up and potentially and theoretically, it is a better balanced one than the ones Aussies have been fielding in the last 24 months..

Rogers
Watson
Cowan/Khawaja
Clarke (c)
Hughes/Warner
Warner/Haddin
Haddin/Faulkner
SiddleBird/Harris
Starc
Pattinson
Lyon

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
a few more slashes and you could cover every possible permutation.
lol.. yes but the batting order seems settled and I did pick the most likely guy first.. the rest were juz options IMO. Their XI I expect to be similar to wat I posted as the first names in that post..

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Cowan's no good. Besides, wasn't he a bit of a rat during the homework saga? Give Khawaja a shot...actually, Warner, if and when he comes back, wouldn't be a bad shout at 3 either. Since Watson's happy opening with Rogers for the time being, why not have an attacking sort like him at 3 with a bit of shine lost off the ball?

Burgey

Reckon if Warner plays he could end up a crackin number six - almost a left handed Doug Walters in his approach to it.

But it won't happen. The people have spoken. They want Smitteh. #Smithmentum

Spikey

the people will be so disappointed once smitteh walks out and they find out he still touches his pads and nuts at the conclusion of each ball

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Ed Cowan just interviewed on Sydney radio. Said the move to Watson and Rogers was something he had been told about before leaving on the tour. He have a very, very strong indication that he will likely be batting three ...
Wait. That would be when Arthur was still coaching? So that means Ed and Warner were both getting dropped.

If Cowan doesn't open he shouldn't play. Warner seem to have his fans but he shouldn't au with no lead up and has a poor record away from opening.

Tangles

Ed Cowan just interviewed on Sydney radio. Said the move to Watson and Rogers was something he had been told about before leaving on the tour. He have a very, very strong indication that he will likely be batting three ...
Wait. That would be when Arthur was still coaching? So that means Ed and Warner were both getting dropped.

If Cowan doesn't open he shouldn't play. Warner seem to have his fans but he shouldn't play with no lead up and has a poor record away from opening iirc. If they seriously think Twatto and Rogers are our best then man up and drop the other openers.

Top_Cat

That Aus has so many 'openers' in the squad sorta tells you about how rubbery that delineation between batting positions really is. Selection based on position doesn't really happen that way, comes down to who wants it and whether they can do it as well as team balance, etc. If all 4 of Cowan, Watson, Rogers and Hughes got hit by a bus tomorrow and Steve Smith woke up in a crazy mood saying he wanted the job, the selectors aren't going to say nup, sorry mate but you're a number 6 and go scouring the country for Shield openers. This idea that you pick guys set in stone at their positions and never will they bat anywhere else just ain't true.

It remains true that if your technique is good enough to play Test cricket, it's good enough to bat anywhere. Just depends on how adaptable you are, team balance/needs, etc.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah but in the case of players like Cowan, Rogers, Compton and older examples like Richardson etc etc it can be said that they've been selected with a particular job in mind based on the skill set that they have.

Now obviously that's less of an issue for Cowan than say Richardson, but there's still some type of scale there.

I certainly agree with the premise that Warner and Bairstow would be better choices batting at 6 than Cowan or Compton.

Number 3 however? nah, no issue with an opener playing there.

Top_Cat

That's the point, though. It depends on what the teams needs, not purely where they've batted before. I'm not in favour of, for example, Cowan playing at 3 but it's got nothing to do with the mere fact he's opened the batting previously.

Tangles

Except we already have an opener at 3 called Hughes. I don't see what Cowan in particular brings over Hughes, Uzi and Smith. Warner is explosive on his batting but only made his name as an opener. Plus he's been a real **** recently and needs a wake up IMO.

Spikey

Adam Mountford ‏@tmsproducer 2h
Weather forecasters are predicting a heat wave for the @TrentBridge and possibly also the @HomeOfCricket #ashes Tests #feelinghothothot

Spikey

i look forward to discovering what the temperatures for an english heat wave are