• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Trent Bridge

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I didn't realise that but still...

At the start of the day, you could not have anticipated England on course for the highest score of the match?
The England top order probably averages around 45 runs per wicket, so the fact they've put on less than 200 runs and lost 4 wickets doesn't mean they've had a far better day than the market should've expected. It might be marginally England's day, but not to the extent that the market is suggesting.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For me 250 Aus favs. 275 Eng favs so somewhere in between. Right now I have Aus as clear favs as England do not yet have the runs on the board.

Yeah, I'd go with this, think the bookies have just got it wrong. Pitch is getting slower, which doesn't help any bowling really. Might turn a bit, but it'll be slow turn I reckon. Obviously the Ozzies might just bat like crud, like they're quite capable of doing, but I want many more runs.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Funny people talk about Bell and hard runs. I actually don't think his problems in the last year or so have been hard runs at all, in fact, his best innings have been backs to the wall rearguards. Think Nagpur or Auckland. Heck even the Oval against South Africa last year was one of his better knocks.

His issue since the start of 2012 has more been a lack of fluency and an inability to cash in when set. I can't really remember the last time I really looked at Bell and thought I was watching a guy in really good form. Maybe a couple of innings against the Windies last summer, but other than that, you have to go back to the India series in 2011. His scoring rate in that time has in particular been really poor, and he just seems to get bogged down regularly against any sort of consistent or accurate bowling. It's probably the reason he keeps getting out in stupid and frustrating ways when set. Lots of attempts to manufacture things because the runs are rarely flowing easily.

What's weird about all of what I just said is that he's been good in one day cricket in the same time, having been really poor in the format before that. Maybe he's become to fixated on forced attacking shots or has overcompensated to a more defensive game in tests. As Spark said, the amount of blocking back of half volleys has been abnormally high, even in this innigns.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I think 150 Australia favourites and 200 England favourites.
To defend 200 then not one of the Aus top order have to bat well. While that is entirely possible for Aus to go 0-6 with the top order playing wel, it isnt likely. Probability is that someone will get some runs and graft an innings. Chasing 200 and Aus are massive favourites IMO. or England to be favs they have to set a total that can be defended if one Australian bats well. For me that is approaching 275.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, I'd go with this, think the bookies have just got it wrong. Pitch is getting slower, which doesn't help any bowling really. Might turn a bit, but it'll be slow turn I reckon. Obviously the Ozzies might just bat like crud, like they're quite capable of doing, but I want many more runs.
Yeah, the pitch is so slow that it should be possible to grind them out, but...

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia able to chase 270 at most, opening and 2nd wicket partnerships mean everything, especially Watson