• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Trent Bridge

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
England are considerably shorter than they were before the start of the day though. The inplay movements have made no sense to me all game.
Haha yeah I do agree. I also think Australia are value at the moment; I make the game only slightly in England's favour. I just think it'd be wrong to say "oh it's only Day 3, nothing wrong with the pitch, only chasing ~ 250" etc because although all that is true, Australia's batting lineup is bad at the best of the times. Day 3 or not I think this pitch will turn for Swann and that essentially gives Australia two relevant batsmen.

Last edited:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
That's because they are now in a much better position.

Also the betting companies might just be hedging their profits (or losses) a bit.
This is with Betfair.

They're not really in a much better position - they've added less than 200 runs and lost 4 wickets. Surely this sort of progress is roughly according to expectation? Also they're roughly the same price in the draw no bet market as they were before the match, and they are in a worse position now (don't know how else to put it) than they were at the start of the match.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I really don't think they are.
Definitely are. Australia have four wickets to take. With no bowler looking particularly threatening, that could take a long time.

Also, England bowling Vs Australian batting looks like it can only go one way.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
What sort of lead (at the end of this innings) would make the chase a 50/50 affair?
For me 250 Aus favs. 275 Eng favs so somewhere in between. Right now I have Aus as clear favs as England do not yet have the runs on the board.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
Haha yeah I do agree. I also think Australia are value at the moment; I make the game only slightly in England's favour. I just think it'd be wrong to say "oh it's only Day 3, nothing wrong with the pitch, only chasing ~ 250" etc because although all that is true, Australia's batting lineup is bad at the best of the times. Day 3 or not I think this pitch will turn for Swann and that essentially gives Australia two relevant batsmen.
tbf Hughes did play Swann well in the first innings

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
What sort of lead (at the end of this innings) would make the chase a 50/50 affair?

I really don't think they are.
Of course they are. This has been England's day.

This is with Betfair.

They're not really in a much better position - they've added less than 200 runs and lost 4 wickets. Surely this sort of progress is roughly according to expectation? Also they're roughly the same price in the draw no bet market as they were before the match, and they are in a worse position now (don't know how else to put it) than they were at the start of the match.
Oh okay, yeah Betfair is different. I'm not sure how much the odds have changed, but I definitely think England are in a better position now compared to the start of play. We still need 4 wickets..

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Definitely are. Australia have four wickets to take. With no bowler looking particularly threatening, that could take a long time.

Also, England bowling Vs Australian batting looks like it can only go one way.
You do realise we were comparing England at the start of the day v England now in that exchange right, and not England now v Australia now?

At the start of the day Australia had eight wickets to take and Australia's batting hasn't got worse since then. I don't think 200/4 would've been above expectations which is how the market should work.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
You do realise we were comparing England at the start of the day v England now in that exchange right, and not England now v Australia now?

At the start of the day Australia had eight wickets to take and Australia's batting hasn't got worse since then. I don't think 200/4 would've been above expectations which is how the market should work.
I didn't realise that but still...

At the start of the day, you could not have anticipated England on course for the highest score of the match?

Stapel

International Regular
For me 250 Aus favs. 275 Eng favs so somewhere in between. Right now I have Aus as clear favs as England do not yet have the runs on the board.
/yeah, figured 260 would make it 50-50. I don't agree with the latter part though. I think England are quite likely to get there from where they are now.

tbf Hughes did play Swann well in the first innings
Agreed!
Actually, that was forgotten a bit, due to Agar's innings. Hughes actually playing Swann the way he did, makes a hell of a lot of difference for this series.