• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Trent Bridge

Woodster

International Captain
It's sooo close!!! Got the rest of the working week off and I am ready for the Ashes!!! Just seen Michael Clarke concerning himself with the choice of England's opener, unusual thing for him to come out with as this has come as no surprise at all at this point. Obviously just trying to apply a bit more pressure on the young England opener on the eve of the Ashes. Would have thought he has more pressing matters with his own middle order.

I do think this series will be closer than maybe some are predicting, it may only take a session for Pattinson, Starc and Siddle to get it right and wreak some havoc and open up a Test. I do think Pattinson is the more likely candidate to ambush an England victory at TB, his brand of brisk away swing, should the ball be inclined to curve, will cause a good few problems for the usually reliable England batting unit. I am tipping right here right now a big series for Ian Ronald Bell, this may be met with some derision, but I do think he will take his game on again in this series. Here's hoping.

BeeGee

International Captain
If it's not the ultime then why does it have its own subforum? Pretty conclusive proof IMO :p
The ashes is the ultimate cricket forum event. It's like watching two groups of angry baboons confront each other. Thumping their chests, waving their red asses and throwing poop at each other. :p

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I am tipping right here right now a big series for Ian Ronald Bell, this may be met with some derision, but I do think he will take his game on again in this series. Here's hoping.
I hear ya brother!!! Wagered my Avatar on Belly out performing all the Aussie bats bar Clarke..........I've got faith in our No 5 too.

Woodster

International Captain
So many match-up's to look forward to -
Cook vs Starc - With Cook's recent issues against left-armers Starc may be an awkward proposition for England's skipper, but he has overcome many more daunting situations than Starc.
Anderson vs Watson - Watson has been Mr Consistency at the top without the big scores he has looked destined to make. Anderson will look to curtail his innings early doors before he begins to unfurl his textbook and crunching drives.
Swann vs Clarke - Probably the contest I am most looking forward to. Two of the very finest in their trade. Clarke's quick and incisive footwork and an unwillingness to simply let Swann bowl at him will captivate the watching public worldwide, Swann will look to deceive with his drift, arm balls, natural variation and serious revs on the ball. Should Swann come out on top in this battle it may have a big say in the series.
Prior vs Haddin - I admire Haddin's fight and have enjoyed his style of batting in the past, but Prior is surely as complete a package as there is in a keeper-batsman in the world today. Potential mis-match.
Aussie new ball duo vs Root - Young Joe has dealt with everything in his career so far admirably, this will be his biggest test to date. Not just facing Pattinson and co. armed with a new ball, but the hype surrounding the series is likely to be something he'll never have experienced before in England. His role at the top is crucial.
England's bowling attack vs Rogers - For me barring the obvious dangerman in Clarke, I think Rogers could be a thorn in England's side. Knows the grounds and conditions, has the experience albeit not Test experience, and can bat long and big should England not pick him up early.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Thumping their chests, waving their red asses and throwing poop at each other. :p
LOL, what a terrific idea, never thought of that, wheres my poop pile. Look out Convicts........Incoming!!!!!!!!!

PS,

Your location states USA BeeGee, are you actually an American who likes cricket or an expat from a cricketing country??

BeeGee

International Captain
LOL, what a terrific idea, never thought of that, wheres my poop pile. Look out Convicts........Incoming!!!!!!!!!

PS,

Your location states USA BeeGee, are you actually an American who likes cricket or an expat from a cricketing country??
Expat Kiwi.

Carn_the_pies

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Well I'm off work tommorrow and Thursdee so a couple of all nighters for me.

Surely Bird or Harris must play??

BeeGee

International Captain
Who you going for in the Ashes then, or don't you care??
At first I was leaning towards supporting England, then Botham's arrogant BS pissed me off, so I was leaning towards Australia. I'm on the fence at this stage, just looking forward to some good test cricket.
I do have some favourite players I'm supporting. Cowan, Root, Pattinson and Prior.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Well I'm off work tommorrow and Thursdee so a couple of all nighters for me.

Surely Bird or Harris must play??
I know you won't agree PieMan being a Vic and all but I reckon your best attack is Patto, Harris, Bird and Lyon, with Siddle sitting out. No way that will happen though as Siddle is a lock in (and understandably)......so Patto, Siddle, Harris and Lyon?? For the first test anyway, I'm sure Bird will feature at some point in the series. Starc is 5th in line for mine.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
At first I was leaning towards supporting England, then Botham's arrogant BS pissed me off, so I was leaning towards Australia. I'm on the fence at this stage, just looking forward to some good test cricket.
I do have some favourite players I'm supporting. Cowan, Root, Pattinson and Prior.
Don't let Botham sway you mate.........must of us English folk can't stand him either.

I have noticed on here that a lot of the Kiwis don't fall into the "Anyone but Australia" category, which is a surprise to me as in my own experience with them they certainly do. Had a phone call from a Kiwi mate last night actually who is living in the UK now, he was carrying on about the Lions win and how the POMS are gonna smash the Aussies in the cricket even more than me LOL.

howardj

International Coach
I can't believe that Cowan (who averages 31 in Test cricket over 20 consecutive games) is going to bat at first drop, and they are leaving Harris out (who averages 23 in Test cricket with the ball)

Anyway, people who are giving Australia a chance, I think forget about how diabolical our batting has been in the past couple of years (that Ed Cowan is held up as a pillar of our batting order, speaks volumes)

For us to win the Series, at least three of our batsmen need 400+ run series

Otherwise, forget it

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I can't believe that Cowan (who averages 31 in Test cricket over 20 consecutive games) is going to bat at first drop, and they are leaving Harris out (who averages 23 in Test cricket with the ball)

Anyway, people who are giving Australia a chance, I think forget about how diabolical our batting has been in the past couple of years (that Ed Cowan is held up as a pillar of our batting order, speaks volumes)

For us to win the Series, at least three of our batsmen need 400+ run series

Otherwise, forget it
He's been better than your hero Watson.

Change the ****ing record.

Ruckus

International Captain
TBH I reckon it's better for world cricket as a whole if Australia is strong.

But that's because I reckon it's better for world cricket as a whole if all teams are strong.

Nobody wants to watch absolute mismatches series after series; bunched-up world rankings (preferably with Australia on top because I can't be completely objective :p) is the best thing for the game of cricket as a whole. And to be fair, that is where cricket is right now. All of the top 8 nations are capable of beating each other on their respective days and have produced some great cricket in recent times. England deservingly go into this series as favourites, but we're definitely not looking at the complete mismatches that were 2001 and 2010/11.

This 'without 'Straya dominating Test cricket will die' rubbish is absolute bull**** though; add nationalistic on top of the 'arrogant crap' label.
Well I hope your not referring to what I said here, cause I didn't say that. I said it's important for Australia to be competitive. I didn't respond to GF's post because I thought it was pretty basic as to why that's true, and it's pretty much along the lines of what you said above.

Woodster

International Captain
I'd be happier seeing Starc in the line-up than I would if Harris is in the XI. That may come back to bite me on the arse with Starc running through us, but I currently do fear the threat of Harris more.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Well I hope your not referring to what I said here, cause I didn't say that. I said it's important for Australia to be competitive. I didn't respond to GF's post because I thought it was pretty basic as to why that's true, and it's pretty much along the lines of what you said above.
Nah, you're overstating your own importance. As long as there's some sort of competition in the game, the identities of the good nations at any one time doesn't matter (as long as one of England or India is competitive). The Ashes is always going to be the ultimate in Test cricket. It was still the big series for 18 years when Australia were brilliant and England were crap.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd be happier seeing Starc in the line-up than I would if Harris is in the XI. That may come back to bite me on the arse with Starc running through us, but I currently do fear the threat of Harris more.
+1. With Starc we'll have to watch his good balls for sure but there will be plenty of runs on offer so long as our bats are tuned on. He's not going to create too much scoreboard pressure IMO, at this stage Harris is a far more dangerous proposition for us.

howardj

International Coach
He's been better than your hero Watson.

Change the ****ing record.
haha no matter how you spin it, he averages 30, yet Watson averages in the mid 40s in the same spot

but apparently you know better than the Aus hierarchy that Cowan should actually be opener ahead of him

furball >>> Aus hierarchy

we await your further words of wisdom during the series