• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Trent Bridge

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I am an AFL tragic, but what makes you say that? It is far more complicated than soccer and even rugby league. Stupidly so at times.
The participation rates I was referring to were junior levels

From what I have seen from my little guy's Auskick, aussie rules at that level is nothing more than an organized match of forcings back with a few pile-ons thrown in

Kids don't have to worry about being off-side, forward passes, knock-ons etc - it's simply a case of grabbing the ball and hoofing it towards the sticks

What's more, the coaches (even in Dubai we had a head coach who was fully accredited) encourage it as they know that is what the kids enjoy

Compare that experience to spending time setting scrums or lineouts, forming a defensive line set back a certain distance or being pulled back for every little mistake

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Saying no one cares it is over the top but saying barely anyone cares most of the time is more on the mark. The stadiums were packed because at least half were Lions fans. Only times the Wallabies get really big crowds is when they're playing either the Lions or All Blacks (lots of Kiwi expats here sadly) or at the Home World Cup. TV viewing figures were pretty good but weren't as good as they had hoped. Nowhere near as good as SOO and this thing only happens every 12 years here.

I've gone to Rebels home games and a solid amount of their fans are expats from the British Isles, New Zealand and South Africa. People will get on the Wallabies bandwagon here and there (like they do for Tennis in England for Wimbledon I guess) and the Super Rugby teams will get solid support from the locals but most of the time Australians don't really care about Rugby Union. At this time of the year most Australian sports fans only care about the AFL or League.

I know this isn't what you want to hear because it takes away from your Lions' marvellous win. But at the end of the day this was 4 nations beating one nation were most people don't really care about the sport. This wasn't some great sporting achievement, sorry.
Super 15 matches in Australia attract higher average attendances than the NRL

Whilst this might be partially due to the socio-economic background of fans (e.g. someone told me recently that a ticket to watch the Titans at Skilled Park costs $50 - little wonder that they are struggling for crowds when the GC has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country), to say that no-one cares about union or the result of the Lions series just isn't true

Backlash

School Boy/Girl Captain
Super 15 matches in Australia attract higher average attendances than the NRL

Whilst this might be partially due to the socio-economic background of fans (e.g. someone told me recently that a ticket to watch the Titans at Skilled Park costs $50 - little wonder that they are struggling for crowds when the GC has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country), to say that no-one cares about union or the result of the Lions series just isn't true
Dammit Social, you have dragged me back in! There are more NRL teams in Australia and they play more games. NRL doesn't attend well for how popular it is. I didn't say no one cared, I said barely anyone cares most of the time. The result of the Lions series doesn't matter if we're being honest.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
seems to me Australian cricket isn't solely just the Australian national cricket team

Ruckus

International Captain
yeah think Australian test cricket would die if it happened. Public support of the team is already waning, so it would take an absurd amount of high profile victories to win back favour. But that just wouldn't happen because, aside from the fact the confidence levels of the players would be absolutely shot, we just don't have the talent to be that good. World cricket would probably take a bit of a blow too considering it's very important for there to be a competitive Australia.

Backlash

School Boy/Girl Captain
seems to me Australian cricket isn't solely just the Australian national cricket team
No it isn't, but the national team plays a big part and it's hardly like the rest of Australian Cricket is going well is it?

Cricket Australia are playing with some serious fire here, if this Ashes event backfires on them really badly result wise it will have a horrible effect on Australian Cricket as a whole and Cricket's on pretty uneven ground with the sporting public as it already is. Just think of how many more kids would be put off the sport forever after this summer if this ends up badly? Good work as always CA.

Burgey

If people are put off a sport for life because of bad results then we'd be winning the upcoming Ashes by forfeit.

Spikey

After going through the gallery, I can only guess Lehmann has taken away their razor blades

Spikey

and james faulkner really really needs it back

edit whoops typed the wrong last name

Last edited:

ajdude

International Coach
there's also

• "nathan lyons"
  • apparently doherty is a regular warner
  • hurr hurr warner loves bars hurr
  • cowan didn't make a ton on debut
  • watson/khawaja weren't sent home
  • nobody knows anything about faulkner, he has never played a cricket match in his life and therefore it is impossible to know anything about him
  • harris has never set the world alight when fit?
  • siddle and starc are the main threats
  • starc is our best bowler
  • mitchell johnson comparison

wait does that sign being held in front of warner say "all rounder"? good grief

Last edited:

Spikey

Brad Haddin - Wicketkeeper (VC)
A familiar foe for England, Haddin has been recalled due to a spate of missed stumpings and catches by Matthew Wade.

and also because we really really needed a vice captain