• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Trent Bridge

Furball

Evil Scotsman
4 nations??? How ignorant can you get??

Have you been to the UK Backlash, travelled between England, N Ireland, Scotland and Wales?? What sort of border control did you pass through?? Did you remember to change your currency before passing into the other Nation?? What about Visas......did you have to apply for separate ones for each??

How do you define a "Nation"?? My passport clearly states I'm from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.......did I get issued the wrong one since I was born in London and am surely an English citizen?? And how come my mates; Ivor from Cardiff, Jock from Glasgow and Mick from Belfast are all getting around with the same passports?? How the **** does that work??

They are no more separate nations than NSW, Queensland and Victoria etc.

I've heard plenty of strange excuses from Australians when they lose, but playing the 4 countries onto one card is just about as piss weak and wrong as it gets mate.

Fact is we give our competition a huge advantage by competing separately most of the time when there is only a historic and absolutely no political or geographical reason for us to do so.
All that sunshine has obviously melted your brain.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Apparently it's a deliberate policy of secrecy, Clarke will only show his hand when they swap team sheets at the toss.

Ruckus

International Captain
From the article I just read it def does sound like it will be Pattinson, Siddle and Starc. Farkkk...if the ball isn't swinging we are gonna be in trouble. Think that's about the 3rd best attack we could have picked.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Errr. what about Ireland buddy.
Fair call, I thought the Lions only included Northern Ireland, didn't realise it also involved the South.....my bad, I'll cop that.

All that sunshine has obviously melted your brain.
Yeah total baloney.
Apart from my misunderstanding of the Irish involvement, I think the point I made was valid regarding Scotland, England and Wales....I fail to see how they can be considered separate countries, just because they compete independently in most sporting events doesn't change that.

And for the record, it wasn't me that brought the Rugby into this thread, I simply responded to other posts which I didn't agree with on the subject.

But anyways back to Trent Bridge..........

England by an innings and plenty:p

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well because they are quite clearly different nations, and they most certainly are in a sporting context but yeah let us not get into that.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I see what Adders is saying though. All the people at Wimbledon didn't seem to consider Scotland a different country yesterday, after all.

Pothas

I see what Adders is saying though. All the people at Wimbledon didn't seem to consider Scotland a different country yesterday, after all.
Think Alex Salmond did. Individual sport is never the same anyay.

The big teams sports of Football and Rugby (cricket is obviously a bit different) have always been seperate, I mean the first internationals were between them. They are an important part of all those nations identity.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Well Andy Murray travels on the same passport I do, so I'm not sure how we come from different countries. As I said in my original post that got hammered......the reason we compete in "most" competitions independently is more historic than geographical or political.

My only point I was trying to make is when we do compete together such as the Olympics it is wrong to say it is 4 countries joining forces.......if anyone can convince me that's wrong I'll be happy to listen to the argument.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean the first internationals were between them. They are an important part of all those nations identity.
Exactly why I have been saying the reason why we do compete separately are all historic......and I'm not suggesting for a minute that should ever change.

And Uvo and Burg are also both right.........I'm sure no Scottish footballer or Rugby player ever wants to play for Britain at a World Cup, he wants to represent Scotland. And yes Andy Murray will only ever be ours when he wins.........when he loses he's a grumpy Scotch Git.

Pothas

Exactly why I have been saying the reason why we do compete separately are all historic......and I'm not suggesting for a minute that should ever change.

And Uvo and Burg are also both right.........I'm sure no Scottish footballer or Rugby player ever wants to play for Britain at a World Cup, he wants to represent Scotland. And yes Andy Murray will only ever be ours when he wins.........when he loses he's a grumpy Scotch Git.
Well you can't really separate a nation and history. History (or perceived history) is pretty integral to the idea of what a nation is. You were talking about this in the context of Rugby where the nations of the UK have always competed separately. Surely the whole point of the Lions is that it is a joining of forces? that is part of what makes it good, in a sporting context it is very similar to Europe in the Ryder cup.

uvelocity

International Coach
btw i didnt watch any of the ruggers. went to a test once (free ticket) saw eales kick a penalty for us to beat the all blacks. union itself is a great sport, but the way it's played is boring as bat**** and as burgey has said, the bunyip aristocracy completely own and ruin it

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Well you can't really separate a nation and history. History (or perceived history) is pretty integral to the idea of what a nation is. You were talking about this in the context of Rugby where the nations of the UK have always competed separately. Surely the whole point of the Lions is that it is a joining of forces? that is part of what makes it good, in a sporting context it is very similar to Europe in the Ryder cup.
Well the Lions thing has really deflated the argument I was originally making as I had no idea they included Southern Ireland <facepalm>

But if for arguments sake the powers that be decided that we should field a British team for the Football World Cup, of course there would be plenty up in arms about it from all parts of the UK, but I don't see how any other competing countries should have any case to complain.

Now if the South American countries decided to join forces that is a totally different kettle of fish.

And my apologies to all, I really didn't want this topic to get this in depth.........the off topic convo that just keeps on giving.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bat First at TB if you win the toss??