• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Warm up Matches Discussion

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Wouldn't it be funny* if the XI we are playing in this game is the XI that we plan on playing in the First Test.

* This funny

adub

International Captain
Just on Starc taking too long to be a danger...

He has opened the bowling now in 11 test innings. In those 11 innings he never taken a wicket in his first spell.
In those 11 innings he has taken a wicket inside 30 overs twice, and inside 80 overs only 6 times. (22.4, 23.1, 32.3, 42.1, 51.6, 56.2)
2 of those 6 times he went on to take a 5-fer. In each instance his second wicket came after the 100th over.

To be fair he did take wickets in his first spell in three of 6 innings where he has come on as a first change bowler (his first three tests v NZ and WI) but failed to take any in two others.

When he gets it right there's no doubt he can destroy a lower order, but for mine he just doesn't do enough to threaten top order bats yet. He's got a future, but he's not the finished item yet and I think we have more dangerous options at the moment.

Last edited:

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Patto, Siddle and Starc as the trio puts all the pressure on Patto to make inroads with the new ball. If Siddle has to play then Starc can't imo. Harris or Bird has to be the 3rd seamer because there no way we win with our batting.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I'm glad you called that. I saw that post from Cab earlier and didn't have time to reply.........weakest argument yet from the pro Siddle camp.
Meh, the point is it's just plain up arrogant and ignorant to say he can't run through a side, when he has before and will probably do again.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Meh, the point is it's just plain up arrogant and ignorant to say he can't run through a side, when he has before and will probably do again.
I actually wasn't saying that, but to use "he took more 6 fers than the Eng bowlers in the last Ashes" is an incredibly flawed argument for obvious reasons.....it's got hair all over it mate. No POM bowler went 0/121 either.

There are far better statements you could be making to make your case for Siddle.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
ohhh Cowan, the wolves are circling now, hopefully the rest make big scores and put some pressure on him.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lehmann already making logical moves with Watson as opener and Khawaja at 3

If players are going to fail, at least let them do so in positions to which they are most suited

Ruckus

International Captain
Watson sounds like he is in excellent form, Khawaja not so. All edges bar 1 for his boundaries.

John73

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
At least Lehmann has got the Aussies conserving energy ahead of T1 - hit boundaries and then you don't have to run :laugh: 14 fours out of a total of 69 (13 off the bat)

I didn't see the scorecard until an hour ago, and it's one of the weirdest scorecards I've seen in a long time - 5 consecutive ducks, but not one golden duck and obviously no hattricks.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Honestly, Watson's been prima facie hitting them well for some time. The problem isn't that he's not in form, it's that even when in form, he's one of those guys who switches into a period where it's like he forgets he's 60not and bats like he's on nought. Smashing a popgun county attack around just muddies the waters now.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Watto with a flashy 50, Uzzie with a no doubt sublime looking 30 odd. Who says these blokes haven't progressed?

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Clarke in at 4. Big clue as to the ashes?
Wouldn't surprise me at all. I really don't think his form in the past couple years is solely because of batting at 5 (surely would have had similar results anywhere from 4-6) and if anything this whole mantra that Clarke CANNOT be moved from 5 just restricts our team balance. I would have no problem with any of Hughes, Khawaja, Smiffy or even Wade batting at 5.