• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Warm up Matches Discussion

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Where do you think Freddie would fit into the current England side mate?
I'd have him batting 3, opening the bowling, bowling offspin and keeping wicket.

Failing that, having him in a seam attack with Jimmy and Broad solves one dilemma, then you bat him wherever he fits best. As flibberty said, probably 8 atm, and you'd be talking one strong lower order. But of course you're relying on him to be part of a four man attack, which goes back to the great Freddie dilemma...

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd have him batting 3, opening the bowling, bowling offspin and keeping wicket.

Failing that, having him in a seam attack with Jimmy and Broad solves one dilemma, then you bat him wherever he fits best. As flibberty said, probably 8 atm, and you'd be talking one strong lower order. But of course you're relying on him to be part of a four man attack, which goes back to the great Freddie dilemma...
I feel like you could manage it a lot better now though. As he showed at Trent Bridge, Jimmy can bowl and bowl, while having Swann instead of Giles means that you're guaranteed a good option from the other end.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Definitely true, and there's no bigger advocate of Freddie than me. However, the big objection was always that if he got injured we would be down to a two man seam attack. I agree with those, such as Goughy, who feel that is no basis upon which to select a team but I don't think the selectors would ever take such a risk with someone like dear Freddie

Spark

Global Moderator
Took Freddie's lot until January of course. Mind you your lot took about that long if you exclude the CT didn't they, this time out?
Our warm-ups were pretty good IIRC, though I don't know if we had time to actually win any of them.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah I would see Fred as No.8 and the 3rd seamer, with his workload managed correctly and less pressure (virtually none) on his batting he would have much better statistics with the ball IMO (although not with the bat obviously).

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah I would see Fred as No.8 and the 3rd seamer, with his workload managed correctly and less pressure (virtually none) on his batting he would have much better statistics with the ball IMO (although not with the bat obviously).
Would depend how he batted at 8, though. Could wind up with a lot more not outs.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah, very little chance he ever scores a ton from there though. His average may have been around the same mark.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Funnily though I think England are much, much better set up to have Flintoff play as part of a five man attack than they were when he actually did it. Prior is an infinitely better batsman than Jones to the point where Flintoff would bat seven rather than six, and Broad+Swann provide much better lower order help than.. Giles+Hoggard.

And despite that I'd probably still bat him at eight. Shows what I thought of the selection back then, really.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Definitely true, and there's no bigger advocate of Freddie than me. However, the big objection was always that if he got injured we would be down to a two man seam attack. I agree with those, such as Goughy, who feel that is no basis upon which to select a team but I don't think the selectors would ever take such a risk with someone like dear Freddie
Which was a bollocks argument as Flintoff would have found a way to bowl even if all his limbs fell off halfway into the game.

Consistency of selection was the issue with Flintoff given his injury record post 05. His ability to bowl his fair share, regardless of the state of his body was never in question. He took 5 wickets on the last day at Lord's bowling relentless 90mph stuff on one leg ffs.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Which was a bollocks argument as Flintoff would have found a way to bowl even if all his limbs fell off halfway into the game.

Consistency of selection was the issue with Flintoff given his injury record post 05. His ability to bowl his fair share, regardless of the state of his body was never in question. He took 5 wickets on the last day at Lord's bowling relentless 90mph stuff on one leg ffs.
And that was pretty much it for him as a bowler. He had nothing left. So while I agree the break down argument was redundant, he couldn't maintain playing with such a workload every game.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
looking forward to Jonathan Trott being exposed by the left arm pace of Michael Beer in the coming days

Riggins

International Captain
Jeez it's adding insult to injury when you get belted at the Gabba like that and then need to go to ****ing Alice Springs.