Page 69 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,035 of 1810
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: *Official* Warm up Matches Discussion

International Regular
    Ben Stokes doing nothing to change my opinion that he is a bowler who bats a bit.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave View Post
    Watto with a quick forty odd then out
    Most of them from Kegga it would seem - wac he is

The Australian batting inspiring confidence as per usual
    There are two colours in my head

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Most of them from Kegga it would seem - wac he is
    This 'can't start against spin' thing is looking more and more like tosh, at least in this country.

Hopefully Stokes has done enough to push up the Test bowlers pecking order - if he was playing he'd be down at 8 probably.

Should be ahead of Woakes now, probably behind Rankin I guess. I guess either/both of them may scrape into the squad for the final Test.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    If getting Khawaja out moves you up the Test pecking order then I'm staking a claim for the 2015 series.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Hopefully Stokes has done enough to push up the Test bowlers pecking order - if he was playing he'd be down at 8 probably.

Should be ahead of Woakes now, probably behind Rankin I guess. I guess either/both of them may scrape into the squad for the final Test.
    Are you seriously saying Stokes should be considered primarily as a bowler now? The man has only just started bowling regularly and has had serious injury problems when he does bowl a bit. I've said for a while he'll end up being a bowler that bats, but he's got to be doing a damn sight better than bowling twenty overs a first-class match before that. Currently 5th in bowling averages for Durham.

Anyway, Plunkers, I was his biggest detractor on here for a while. Yet I'm not going to let my bias go on to his new life.

He always was a frustrating bundle, he bowled at good pace and he swung it, but he was so ridiculously inaccurate, which for a bowler of his type was just not the point, you need to build pressure and keep plugging on the same line. People look at his record in Tests and may think it's just bad, but he was bowling in choice conditions at times, still never had the consistency to produce.

Yet hey, people are saying he's more accurate now, and as we know with bowlers of these type, Jimmeh and Vernon, they can improve later on. So if he has things under control I'm willing to see how he goes, certainly seems okay in Limited-over stuff, which we're pretty desperate at in the time being.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Yeah, not a bad call to stick him in the pyjamas. He's had some pretty controlled ODIs, and given he's only had one comeback season it'd be nice to try and gather some fresh evidence while we have space.
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theegyptian View Post
    Yes but Kerrigan is no ordinary bowler.

Can;t think in a million years that Ballance would ever want to go and play from Zimbabwe. Rigged elections, persecutions of whites, economic disaster..... and all.
    Sounds like the Abbott-led Liberal Party's view of modern Australia.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    oh my god guys

Fapping material if there ever was any.

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Are you seriously saying Stokes should be considered primarily as a bowler now? The man has only just started bowling regularly and has had serious injury problems when he does bowl a bit. I've said for a while he'll end up being a bowler that bats, but he's got to be doing a damn sight better than bowling twenty overs a first-class match before that. Currently 5th in bowling averages for Durham..
    He's averaging 23 overs a match for Durham, and he's a first/second change bowler. Durham bowl teams out pretty quickly and tend to spread the load thinly, so his figures are as expected. It's the pace he can generate that makes him high up the pecking order. He bowls with pace and a decent average. Usually people have one or the other in County Cricket. Obviously Stokes also has the batting ability and top notch fielding.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    He's averaging 23 overs a match for Durham, and he's a first/second change bowler. Durham bowl teams out pretty quickly and tend to spread the load thinly, so his figures are as expected. It's the pace he can generate that makes him high up the pecking order. He bowls with pace and a decent average. Usually people have one or the other in County Cricket. Obviously Stokes also has the batting ability and top notch fielding.
    It's been over a very limited period though. He bowls pretty quickly, but honestly I'd rather Mark Wood played as a bowler for England, Stokes has not proved he can consistently operate a workload. Again I think the guys a talent, but honestly if he was a Surrey player and was picked as a bowler on such limited returns you would fume, hasn't even taken a 100(yeah I know a bit cheap, but still) first-class wickets.

Plenty of bowlers have more pace, Meaker and Dernbach for two.
    marc71178 likes this.

grecian, what are you hoping to achieve here

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    grecian, what are you hoping to achieve here
    Hey I'm one of the few people that think Scaly isn't an awful poster, he makes me chuckle in fact, so I treat him like any other one. Not like a rabid North-east insanitly-biased scabrous scrabble-addled person of ****ed-up partizan zealous cantankerous.

Anywat who are you?
    Last edited by grecian; 17-08-2013 at 06:11 PM.

International Debutant theegyptian's Avatar
    Stokes is a massive prospect. He could easily be a lot better than Flintoff(not that Flintoff was that great) but there are a load of similarities also.

I really feel like he has the potential to bat 6 and also be a third/fourth seamer. His bowling is really improving. I don't think he has outstanding pace but he can bowl hostile spells and more importantly he swings the ball conventionally and reverse. I don't want to or think he should become an out and out bowler because his batting has the potential to be very good also.

At the moment his batting is average and he has a couple of technical things as well as a confidence issue from not scoring many runs for a couple of years.

I don't think England should think of playing him as a bowler (say batting 8) because if he gets it right he will be England's most important player for the next 10-15 years batting at 6. Treat him and play him as a bowler and you limit his future potential. I also agree with grecian that at the moment he isn't good enough as a bowler alone - Durham manage his workload and that's correct given he bats in the top 5 - If he didn't bat he'd probably open the bowling . I think probably leave him another year or so and hope his batting does develop a bit more and then select him at 6.

Going back to the similiarities between Stokes and Flintoff and it is pretty amazing. Both initially batsmen who bowled a bit (albeit Stokes was a much better batsmen initially). Both as their bodies developed became more reliable with the ball than the bat. Both are nervous against spin but can bash them when confident. Stokes thinks a bit more like a batsmen having batted his whole career basically at 4 and 5 and will grind out the runs initially. Both mavericks with a few discipline problems.

Maybe Stokes will be unfulfilled as a player but he certainly has the talent and I certainly wouldn't rule out him averaging 40 at number 6, and 28 with the ball in test cricket as a 3rd/4th seamer.

Thread Information