• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Warm up Matches Discussion

adub

International Captain
website not playing for me for some reason - must be my missus trying to get me to do some work

91Jmay

International Coach
34/0 after first hour. Slow but pretty decent from England. Cook's back looks a little bit dodgy, but he is getting time at the crease which is vital.

ajdude

International Coach
did anybody else see that ad for nimble insurance? new holder of the 'worst ad I've ever seen' title

91Jmay

International Coach
He said it can be a good batting pitch, which is correct, there have been other high scoring matches at Hobart
Didn't Ian Healy then give a stat about the average first innings score being really low?
Fire alarm was better to listen to.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Didn't Ian Healy then give a stat about the average first innings score being really low?
Fire alarm was better to listen to.
Yes, but the point was that Hobart could be a good batting wicket, not that it consistently is, and there is evidence to back that up. You really don't need to mis-represent those two to find faults in their commentary

91Jmay

International Coach
Yes, but the point was that Hobart could be a good batting wicket, not that it consistently is, and there is evidence to back that up. You really don't need to mis-represent those two to find faults in their commentary
Well the point of averages is they generally show likelihood, so pulling out an example from 13 years ago seems rather pointless compared to say the average from this season.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is this one of those games where the captain gets instructed to give everyone a go, like it's an under 11s match? Because I can't understand why Holland would get a bowl after an hour when the ball was seaming and swinging around a bit.

That and he's Victorian.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Well the point of averages is they generally show likelihood, so pulling out an example from 13 years ago seems rather pointless compared to say the average from this season.
Yes but averages don't mention the fact that many Hobart pitches are lively on the first day but sometimes flatten out nicely as McGrath was eluding to, he used that example because he probably likes talking about that test match. Last season Australia scored 5-450 first innings and SL replied with about 320 if you want a recent example.

Looks like the sting has gone out of the attack and England are cashing in nicely now, but England wasted some good starts last ashes too...

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah, new ball did some but this spinner seems to be doing nothing so far. Apparently if it seams it doesn't always spin.