• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Warm up Matches Discussion

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This 'can't start against spin' thing is looking more and more like tosh, at least in this country.
Nah, it's not. Has demolished spinners in ODI's by basically playing one shot in the arc between mid-wicket and mid-on. A spinner in ODI's doesn't have a lot of recourse when a guy is getting out of jail like that and he's ended up skying them on a few occasions anyway. Without fielding restrictions, legside wides, etc. spinners can bowl how and where they want knowing there'll be little need to vary pace, line or length because he never leaves his crease and is rank at knowing what to play at.

uvelocity

International Coach
It's been over a very limited period though. He bowls pretty quickly, but honestly I'd rather Mark Wood played as a bowler for England, Stokes has not proved he can consistently operate a workload. Again I think the guys a talent, but honestly if he was a Surrey player and was picked as a bowler on such limited returns you would fume, hasn't even taken a 100(yeah I know a bit cheap, but still) first-class wickets.

Plenty of bowlers have more pace, Meaker and Dernbach for two.
woodeh! might even go for the poms if you picked him

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
yes i mean i've got no idea what's going to happen and what's happening in Stokes head and whether he really wants to be a good player.

I just really think he has potentially everything. Similiar qualities to Flintoff in someone who is a matchwinner and can massively influence a match in a session. I just feel that if everything went right he could do it better. He bowls a fuller length than flintoff and swings the ball(and fyi he has been over 90mph on sky this season), his body is leaner and less thickset than flintoff so he should be less predisposed to injury. 5 first class hundreds before he was 20 shows a genuine batsman and some of those tons were dominant tons.

Like Flintoff he won't be the finished article when he comes into the team and he will struggle especially you'd imagine with the bat but I think England realise that he could give vital balance to the team and give him the time when he gets his chance.
I can understand why you think this for sure but got to side with Grecian. The thing is that Stokes is that ultimately tantalising cricketer, the player that can bat in the top 6 and is a real frontline bowler. Stokes is one of those people that you just really want to be that player, I know I do, but that cricketer is pretty much a myth. It is why for the obvious faults, that Flintoff was actually a very special cricketer, even if only for a short time. I really want Stokes to be good but I don’t think picking him for England when he is obviously not good enough will do anyone any good. Pick him as a number 8 and I just see his batting going backwards.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
I can understand why you think this for sure but got to side with Grecian. The thing is that Stokes is that ultimately tantalising cricketer, the player that can bat in the top 6 and is a real frontline bowler. Stokes is one of those people that you just really want to be that player, I know I do, but that cricketer is pretty much a myth. It is why for the obvious faults, that Flintoff was actually a very special cricketer, even if only for a short time. I really want Stokes to be good but I don’t think picking him for England when he is obviously not good enough will do anyone any good. Pick him as a number 8 and I just see his batting going backwards.
Did you not reaad my previous post. I said I wouldn't select him. He needs time to work on his batting. It would be a waste to treat him as a number 8.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The thing is England have already picked Stokes for limited overs cricket, so I think that really weakens the argument for keeping him out of the Test squad - as does the fact he's had some brilliant performances in limited overs cricket this season with bat and ball. And of course him being picked for ODIs and T20s will mean he's not playing FC cricket for Durham.

91Jmay

International Coach
The thing is England have already picked Stokes for limited overs cricket, so I think that really weakens the argument for keeping him out of the Test squad - as does the fact he's had some brilliant performances in limited overs cricket this season with bat and ball. And of course him being picked for ODIs and T20s will mean he's not playing FC cricket for Durham.
I fail to see how him being picked for ODI's has any relevance to him being picked for the Test squad. Especially as he has done very little of note in the ODIs.

benchmark00

WA vs Eng (3-dayer): M.Beer (c), J.Allenby, B.****ley, M.Dixon, R.Duffield, M.Harris, C.Lynn, M.Marsh, L.Towers, T.Triffitt, A.Turner, A.Tye

Burgey

Is that being played at the WACA or at another ground? If it's at the WACA they're taking the piss with two spinners, surely.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
In Australia that would make him a PONI but it's probably less of an indicator in England.
It's still a good indicator when you take into account how poor his record in domestic one day cricket is, especially the first time he got selected as he wasn't fit to bowl at the time.

Daemon

Nice triple post. Love how excited PEWS gets when it comes to domestic players that he somehow knows quite a bit about.