• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Warm up Matches Discussion

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Starc getting in some good practice by the looks of things..

Starc to Compton, no run
Starc to Trescothick, 1 leg bye
Starc to Trescothick, FOUR
End of over 1 (1 run) Somerset 1/0
NRD Compton 0* (4b) MA Starc 1-0-1-0
ME Trescothick 1* (2b)
Starc to Compton, no run
Starc to Compton, no run
Starc to Compton, no run
Starc to Compton, no run
Starc to Trescothick, 1 run
Starc to Trescothick, no run

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Starc on from both ends, apparently. Australia's player management still needing work.

Starc to Compton, no run

Starc to Compton, no run

Starc to Compton, no run

Starc to Trescothick, 1 leg bye

Starc to Trescothick, FOUR
End of over 1 (1 run) Somerset 1/0
NRD Compton 0* (4b) MA Starc 1-0-1-0
ME Trescothick 1* (2b)

Starc to Compton, no run

Starc to Compton, no run

Starc to Compton, no run

Starc to Compton, no run

Starc to Trescothick, 1 run

Starc to Trescothick, no run

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Faulkner just got hit for 3 4's in an over plus bowled a no-ball, so I guess I get to compare him to MJ forever and ever

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Have to laugh at the commentator suggesting that Ed Cowan got banned for punching Joe Root. Probably the least likely candidate in Australia.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
So what happens if Compton goes on and makes a big score here against a good chunk of the bowlers he (would have) been facing in the Ashes??

Surely there couldn't be a bigger statement to make for his case??

But then how is Geoff Miller going to back down from saying this.....

We believe Joe Root is currently the best opening partner for Alastair Cook
I don't like this at all. I'd rather have Compton opening than Bairstow at 6.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
So what happens if Compton goes on and makes a big score here against a good chunk of the bowlers he (would have) been facing in the Ashes??

They won't change course now. If either Root or Bairstow fail in the first 2 back to back tests the clamour will be enormous however.

I don't like Bairstow at 6 either.

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Does anyone know how Compton is looking? He seemed so jumpy and nervous against NZ that I don't think that helped him.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
The commentators commented on how Jones wasn't looking as assured as Compton, but I don't know how much that tells us...All his boundaries have been authoritative shots anyway.

Big LBW appeal off Lyon just then though. Padded up to it.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

I think they made the right choice and a Compton ton here will not change that but it would be exactly what he needs to do, and keep doing.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I think they made the right choice and a Compton ton here will not change that but it would be exactly what he needs to do, and keep doing.
I'm interested to know why?? In 8 tests Compton has got us off to 3 100+ opening stands and made 2 tons himself, I know he hasn't set the world on fire but we are essentially dropping him for a bloke that has also played 8 tests with far poorer returns. Has Bairstow been cleaning up in county to earn this recall? Genuine question that, I don't know.

Pothas

I'm interested to know why?? In 8 tests Compton has got us off to 3 100+ opening stands and made 2 tons himself, I know he hasn't set the world on fire but we are essentially dropping him for a bloke that has also played 8 tests with far poorer returns. Has Bairstow been cleaning up in county to earn this recall? Genuine question that, I don't know.
I can certainly understand the reasons for people wanting to stick with Compton and keep Root where he is but I think the potential benefits outweigh the risks.

Said it earlier in this thread but I think that our best possible opening partnership is Cook and Root, and could well be for years to come. Bairstow has not totally convinced at this level but he has shown some glimpses of real talent. I would rather my potentially weakest bat be a young, attacking player, at number 6, rather than an opening bat.

Compton has performed admirably at times but I am just not convinced that he is good enough, yes he scored two hundreds in the New Zealand series, but so did Peter Fulton.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Compton has performed admirably at times but I am just not convinced that he is good enough, yes he scored two hundreds in the New Zealand series, but so did Peter Fulton.
None of the other England players did though, tbf. :p

I can't remember who it was, but someone did point out the irony of Compton being replaced in the strongest XI, by a middle order player, after having to come in as a makeshift opener. Cribb was a fan of Root opening and Compton batting at 5 in New Zealand, and it's something I wouldn't be at all against. Hopefully there's still a place for Compton at four or five if one of the B's has a poor first few Ashes tests or there's an injury. Would be a better option than recalling Taylor, a lad they've never given much backing, for an Ashes test.

Pothas

None of the other England players did though, tbf. :p

I can't remember who it was, but someone did point out the irony of Compton being replaced in the strongest XI, by a middle order player, after having to come in as a makeshift opener. Cribb was a fan of Root opening and Compton batting at 5 in New Zealand, and it's something I wouldn't be at all against. Hopefully there's still a place for Compton at four or five if one of the B's has a poor first few Ashes tests or there's an injury. Would be a better option than recalling Taylor, a lad they've never given much backing, for an Ashes test.
Yeah if Compton keeps making runs for Somerset I would not be against him getting a go in the the middle order if there is a space. Certainly if Trott got injured he would be the obvious choice.