Page 3 of 121 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: *Official* Warm up Matches Discussion

I hope it just means Cowan and Watson are batting off for the other opening spot. Would be a mistake to include Rogers and then not play him in the test. I sure hope Faulkner is no where near consideration at 7 with Haddin at 6.

but seriously look at that ****ing top four. look at it.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    if that's any guide for the first test side i'm going to be really, really annoyed
    *** marsh and lehmann

this seems weird though, afterall

Inverarity has revealed something of his plan for running the squad through the county matches. Of the six available pace bowlers, three will play at Taunton and the rest will charge in at Worcester. Among seven available batsmen, five will play in each fixture, and two will have a match each. This leaves the sixth place in the order open to most conjecture, and it may yet be filled by any one of Usman Khawaja, Shane Watson, David Warner, Steve Smith, or even Brad Haddin, should the bold option of four bowlers plus Faulkner be entertained.
    The Investec Ashes 2013 : Lopsided Australia in search of balance | Cricket News | Australia in England - The Investec Ashes | ESPN Cricinfo
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

The bold option. Since when is stupidity bold? How about picking the best 6 batters plus Haddin and 4 bowlers. The battings not strong enough to bat the Haddin at 6 so we can experiment with yet another bloody bits and pieces player at 7.

Can't Faulkner just come in at 8? He is a pretty damn good bowler, and he would fit well into a 4 man pace attack at Trent Bridge if the pitch permitted. I don't think that will happen though, and it probably won't given Graeme Swann managed a 10 wicket haul at Headingly earlier in the season and Lord's also turned. It's a shame that Faulkner is a bowling all-rounder, because that makes him a bit of a useless commodity in the squad given we have several seamers.
    There are two colours in my head

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    but seriously look at that ****ing top four. look at it.
    I'm not a fan of Faulkner at 7 either. Maybe if Watson isn't in the team, then I guess there's a case to be made for him, but I just don't like it when Watson is already there. Especially with that top four.

Anyway, hopefully with regards to that side, they feel Rogers and Smith have already had enough batting time in England this year, so want to give the rest of the batsman in the squad a run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post
    The bold option. Since when is stupidity bold? How about picking the best 6 batters plus Haddin and 4 bowlers. The battings not strong enough to bat the Haddin at 6 so we can experiment with yet another bloody bits and pieces player at 7.
    Brettig is a Faulkner fan. So that explains that.

I stand by my original thoughts on Faulkner's selection, in that I don't see how he plays and it doesn't really piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    I'm not a fan of Faulkner at 7 either. Maybe if Watson isn't in the team, then I guess there's a case to be made for him, but I just don't like it when Watson is already there. Especially with that top four.

Anyway, hopefully with regards to that side, they feel Rogers and Smith have already had enough batting time in England this year, so want to give the rest of the batsman in the squad a run.
    i really ****ing hope this is true. i don't mind the faulkner thing insofar as they seem to be giving everyone in the squad a crack (with one obvious exception), and it's better to play faulkner in the first tour game than the second if he's not gonna be picked (imo) but that's predicated on him not being picked...
    Last edited by Spark; 25-06-2013 at 07:12 AM.

First Class Debutant Swingpanzee's Avatar
    Heavily disagree with the inclusion of Rankin. Should've tried Tremlett instead. If he fires, he along with Jimmy and Broad (hopefully) can spell serious trouble for Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by LegionOfBrad View Post
    I assume this has been on the cards for a while so I'd love to know why they've had Bairstow carrying drinks around for a month. They commented on this more than once on TMS.

I still think England are a better team with Compton at the top than Bairstow at 6 and I hope he scores a stack of runs for Somerset.

In 05 when they dropped Thorpe for KP it turned out to be the right choice so we shall see.
    This one also reminds me of Finn being dropped for Tremlett in the last Ashes, despite the former's decent figures. That was a brave decision rather than working on the basis that Finn had 'done enough' at that stage.

I do have some sympathy for Compton though. I suspect that he's less than impressed that he's been overtaken in the pecking order for a middle order place whilst having to play all of his test matches as an opener. It maybe won't be the end of his test career. Given KP's fitness and maybe his appetite for all this after the winter, Bell's unconvincing form for most of the last 18 months and the fact that Bairstow is barely proven, there may well be a vacancy in the middle order at some point in the next 12 months.
    Last edited by wpdavid; 25-06-2013 at 11:24 AM.

Trego to take out Clarke within the first over he bowls to him.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    This one also reminds me of Finn being dropped for Tremlett in the last Ashes, despite the former's decent figures. That was a brave decision rather than working on the basis that Finn had 'done enough' at that stage.

I do have some sympathy for Compton though. I suspect that he's less than impressed that he's been overtaken in the pecking order for a middle order place whilst having to play all of his test matches as an opener. It maybe won't be the end of his test career. Given KP's fitness and maybe his appetite for all this after the winter, Bell's unconvincing form for most of the last 18 months and the fact that Bairstow is barely proven, there may well be a vacancy in the middle order at some point in the next 12 months.
    I don't think they'd pick Compton as anything other than an opener though. Meaning that if someone gets injured they'll likely shuffle someone like Taylor in at 6 rather than change the openers.

As obviously Cook will keep his place even through a very lean time his only real hope of getting back in is Root to have a nightmare ala Phil Hughes in 09. I will laugh if he gets a hundred against the Aussies.
    Last edited by LegionOfBrad; 25-06-2013 at 02:16 PM.

Adam MountfordVerified account ‏@tmsproducer

There is commentary on Australia v @SomersetCCC today via @bbcbristolsport BBC Sport - Cricket commentaries … plus updates from @patmurphybbc @bbc5live
    https://twitter.com/tmsproducer/stat...98933817597952

dunno know if we'll be able to listen in

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    i assume it's not being streamed or anything?

they dont have that sort of technology in england yet

Page 3 of 121 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread Information