• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Warm up Matches Discussion

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Smith hits a smart shot and gets a four! #smitteh

also i guess we should comment about how this presumably means hughes has a totally secure place while smith is still in the picture

Spikey

Smith just went down the pitch and played a delightful drive through cover 12* off 17 #betterthanpaine

Spikey

Smith hits ball, calls single, Cowan decides to slip over and selfishly costs Smith a run. Also Cowan is now out

Spikey

Smith lofts the spinner for six as the local Worcestershire commentators praise his good attitude. Meanwhile Usman is probably playing call of duty or something #Smitteh

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Worcestershire's innings is going to be very interesting to see which of the Australian bowlers steps up and bowls himself into the first Test (or attempts to do so).

the big bambino

International Captain
This is just ridiculous.

Cummins has been injured as a teenager. He was bowling thunderbolts at 17 years of age. Do you not understand that fast bowlers historically haven't been even a blip on the radar at senior level by this point? It is an unnatural punishment to put your body through, it takes time to strengthen the body and become accustomed to the rigours.

Tait was a crap athlete. Always overweight, always struggling for aerobic capacity, well into his 20s. Cummins is a jet, lean and fit, and only just leaving his teens. Apples to oranges.
A little less emotion and more consistency. You can simultaneously talk up his athleticism and make excuses for his lack of fitness I suppose: You just can't do it with credibility. If people are willing to talk up the wunderkind at such a young age and say isn't he amazing, then its also fair to mention his lack of fitness is an issue. There is nothing to state its all to do with his age. He just might be fragile and has to prove otherwise. Yes I realise Tait was crap. That is where Cummins is atm. Like Tait he's made his name in T20 and has been barely able to bowl more than 4 overs. Yes I'm aware of his test...

As to thunderbolts thats all well and good. I've seen youtube of his test and when bowling speeds came up on some of his wkt taking balls he was in the mid to high 130s. Which is considerably less than Tait. Next excuse?

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
A little less emotion and more consistency. You can simultaneously talk up his athleticism and make excuses for his lack of fitness I suppose: You just can't do it with credibility. If people are willing to talk up the wunderkind at such a young age and say isn't he amazing, then its also fair to mention his lack of fitness is an issue. There is nothing to state its all to do with his age. He just might be fragile and has to prove otherwise. Yes I realise Tait was crap. That is where Cummins is atm. Like Tait he's made his name in T20 and has been barely able to bowl more than 4 overs. Yes I'm aware of his test...

As to thunderbolts thats all well and good. I've seen youtube of his test and when bowling speeds came up on some of his wkt taking balls he was in the mid to high 130s. Which is considerably less than Tait. Next excuse?
Just because he has played more t20 cricket than FC cricket doesn't mean he has made his name in t20, everyone got excited about him because of the test, that's where he made his name. All young fast bowlers have injury issues these days, it's a fact of life, Cummins is also mismanaged to a degree, take the Champions league for example when they kept playing him when he complained of soreness, nek minnet out for almost a year. He has only just finished growing, his body isn't ready to sling down cricket balls at high 130s (which is still bloody quick) consistently without putting high strain on his body. Let him grow up before you make judgments on his fitness please.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Not arguing that Cummins is going to be a star or anything as anything can happen after a series of injuries, but he was definitely bowling up into the 140s early in his spells in his one test. He wasn't always at that level but... well he was 18. Happens to every bowler to a degree but it's especially reasonable at his age that he'd slow down as the spell/match wore on. Just checked youtube and a couple of the wickets are in the 140-145 range.

Burgey

Have seen him clocked in the 150s tbh. Might depend on the radar gun of course, but I think we can safely say he's "quick enough".

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Isn't Cummins meant to be playing some low level matches this tour? I heard he went over with the A squad but haven't heard about him since. Anyone know what happened?