• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Warm up Matches Discussion

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Definitely looks like a good declaration now. Pretty much ideal to get another full innings of bowling and then a non-trivial chase, instead of chasing 50 or something.

Midwinter

State Captain
Perhaps the idea is to play cricket instead of turning it into an extended net session.

Making the players play with the pressure to perform as a team.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, it's why 4-day warm-ups are better than 3-day games; have an outside chance of some performance pressure aside form 'get a ton/take a bag'. Doing either of those does give you some confidence but doing it in a real-deal match is different.

aussie tragic

International Captain
For 2nd game, I'd play

Rogers
Cowan
Khawaja
Hughes
Smith
Wade
Faulkner
Starc
Harris
Siddle
Bird

This is because Clarke, Haddin, Watson, Pattinson and Lyon are penned into the 1st Test, while Hughes and Starc are pencilled in.

Leaves 3 batsmen from Cowan, Rogers, Khawaja, Smith and Warner and another pacer from Siddle, Harris, Bird and Faulkner

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Seems like Watson, who not only has got his opening back, but his spot at first slip back, has shelled one
How was Cowan in the field? I definitely don't rate Watsons fielding has highly as TC does. I really like the way we've gone about this match in terms if bowling and batting order. LHC, I agree with the XI, maybe Lyon ahead of Faulkner but it's only a maybe. Who would captain, Cowan?

Spikey

Clarke definitely has to play next game. He's played one game in months, Cowan's done half a county season. I would have thought after this game we'd have a pretty damn fair idea whether we're pushing ahead with Cowan or not. And we could say similar in regards to Usman who has had plenty of recent game-time right under the nose of Lehmann. Only one of them should play imo.

I'd go four bowlers, so

Rogers
Watson
Khawaja/Cowan (if cowan, rogers 3)
Clarke
Hughes
Smith
Wade
Agar or Lyon no biggie
Harris
Siddle
Bird

If we want to play a 5th bowler, and there's just no reason to play Faulkner so not him, remove Watson. If we go in with 4 bowlers, Watson may be called upon to bowl 5-10 overs which would be nice preparation because he will surely be expected to do that in the tests, but if we play 5 bowlers he won't, so there's no real reason to play him

Last edited:

Spikey

It feels really weird placing Clarke at 4. I really hope Lehmann's 2nd big plan isn't to push Clarke to 4

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
That's just how good we are. Can dictate a match so much we can make it unfold precisely how we want it.

uvelocity

International Coach
Clarke definitely has to play next game. He's played one game in months, Cowan's done half a county season. I would have thought after this game we'd have a pretty damn fair idea whether we're pushing ahead with Cowan or not. And we could say similar in regards to Usman who has had plenty of recent game-time right under the nose of Lehmann. Only one of them should play imo.

I'd go four bowlers, so

Rogers
Watson
Khawaja/Cowan (if cowan, rogers 3)
Clarke
Hughes
Smith
Wade
Agar or Lyon no biggie
Harris
Siddle
Bird

If we want to play a 5th bowler, and there's just no reason to play Faulkner so not him, remove Watson. If we go in with 4 bowlers, Watson may be called upon to bowl 5-10 overs which would be nice preparation because he will surely be expected to do that in the tests, but if we play 5 bowlers he won't, so there's no real reason to play him
love how you have clarke at 4 here spikarooly

Burgey

Jim Maxwell on the radio this arvo said Patto got it reversing a bit yesterday and Lyon bowled well. Anyone see any highlights or live play yesterday at all?

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Patto screaming at the umpire for the Tres nick and all you hear is some bloke trying to tell him he's walking :laugh:

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Whats the odds on Watson having a word with Clarke about Uzi retiring if he gets too close to Watsons 90? I bet thats who suggested the 1st innings declaration.