• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Warm up Matches Discussion

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah, I only knew because they were talking about the catch on the radio the other day. Seems much more side on and jerky than he was previously. Kinda like a right arm Shakib.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Definitely much more side on, The bowling arm itself still comes over nicely but he looks like he almost pulls down with the front elbow like a seamer would. Which is what I guess you mean by the jerkiness. It's nowhere near as languid as it used to be.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The thing is we don't know off one ball if that is now the norm or just him trying something out as it is a warm up game.

social

Definitely much more side on, The bowling arm itself still comes over nicely but he looks like he almost pulls down with the front elbow like a seamer would. Which is what I guess you mean by the jerkiness. It's nowhere near as languid as it used to be.
The major criticism of his bowling action has been that he didn't "complete it" i.e. no follow through

My guess is that they have asked him to pull though with the front arm > greater rotation

I have no time for offies but as far as they go, he is almost as good as it gets for someone that doesn't chuck it

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
The major criticism of his bowling action has been that he didn't "complete it" i.e. no follow through

My guess is that they have asked him to pull though with the front arm > greater rotation

I have no time for offies but as far as they go, he is almost as good as it gets for someone that doesn't chuck it
Swann??? they got Lyon spinning the ball harder after the first game in India I think, the match report said he was getting turn and bounce, so I imagine he is pivoting better and getting some extra energy and revs on the ball. The particular ball shown was probably a top spinner though, as it didn't turn as much, hence the greater rotation I suppose.

social

Swann??? they got Lyon spinning the ball harder after the first game in India I think, the match report said he was getting turn and bounce, so I imagine he is pivoting better and getting some extra energy and revs on the ball. The particular ball shown was probably a top spinner though, as it didn't turn as much, hence the greater rotation I suppose.
Swann is relatively ineffective against right handers because his arm goes past the perpendicular and, as such, he gets little drift

This " fault" is "corrected" when he bowls around the wicket to lefties as a result of the body position necessitated by his position on the crease

"Technically". Lyon is a much better bowler than Swann

Burgey

I suspect that like avatar bets checking in on cricinfo is "below" Burgey.
It is beneath me, primarily because the mobile site is utter **** and I couldn't be ****ed going through 15 sub-menus to find out.

Burgey

And Australia should have batted on here. Should be trying to win every single game as emphatically as possible. Lead by 100-150 and look to bowl them out.

social

That is a very bizarre declaration

Hughes "needed" a ton and the bowlers needed time with the bat in their hands

Should have scored 500+ and bowled after that

Justo

U19 Debutant
And Australia should have batted on here. Should be trying to win every single game as emphatically as possible. Lead by 100-150 and look to bowl them out.
Agreed. Not to mention a ton for Hughes would set him up nicely confidence wise.

I suspect they want to give Cowan and Khawaja another shot though. Someone will have to make way for Rogers and Smith (Faulkner being the other one) in the second warm up and it'll likely be one of those two.

Spark

Global Moderator
"Giving everyone a run" seems to the be the philosophy here.

social

And now they open the bowling with Siddle and Faulkner

Looks to me as if they are saying certain players have done enough and now over to you

Still would have let Hughes ton up

flibbertyjibber

I guess they decided that the bowlers need overs more than Hughes needs a ton. Proof will be in pudding after first couple of tests I guess.

John73

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Early indications are that Compton is back in (Boycott scoring) form - 0 from 12 and Sommerset in general is hoping everyone will fall asleep and forget a game of cricket is going on (13 off 5 overs including 4lb)

Aussies shouldn't place too much pressure on Compton, we could really use someone like him to hold up an innings if he stays in and therefore puts pressure on his partner to score the runs :)

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Oh, wow, Nick Boycott just hit three boundaries in one over. These Aussies must be pretty wayward bowlers to allow a guy like him to score so comfortably at four an over early in his innings.