Page 113 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,695 of 1810
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: *Official* Warm up Matches Discussion

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Where do you think Freddie would fit into the current England side mate?

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    3rd seamer and number 8 bat.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I'd have him batting 3, opening the bowling, bowling offspin and keeping wicket.

Failing that, having him in a seam attack with Jimmy and Broad solves one dilemma, then you bat him wherever he fits best. As flibberty said, probably 8 atm, and you'd be talking one strong lower order. But of course you're relying on him to be part of a four man attack, which goes back to the great Freddie dilemma...

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    I'd have him batting 3, opening the bowling, bowling offspin and keeping wicket.

Failing that, having him in a seam attack with Jimmy and Broad solves one dilemma, then you bat him wherever he fits best. As flibberty said, probably 8 atm, and you'd be talking one strong lower order. But of course you're relying on him to be part of a four man attack, which goes back to the great Freddie dilemma...
    I feel like you could manage it a lot better now though. As he showed at Trent Bridge, Jimmy can bowl and bowl, while having Swann instead of Giles means that you're guaranteed a good option from the other end.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Definitely true, and there's no bigger advocate of Freddie than me. However, the big objection was always that if he got injured we would be down to a two man seam attack. I agree with those, such as Goughy, who feel that is no basis upon which to select a team but I don't think the selectors would ever take such a risk with someone like dear Freddie

Took Freddie's lot until January of course. Mind you your lot took about that long if you exclude the CT didn't they, this time out?
    Our warm-ups were pretty good IIRC, though I don't know if we had time to actually win any of them.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

International Regular
    Yeah I would see Fred as No.8 and the 3rd seamer, with his workload managed correctly and less pressure (virtually none) on his batting he would have much better statistics with the ball IMO (although not with the bat obviously).

Quote Originally Posted by 91Jmay View Post
    Yeah I would see Fred as No.8 and the 3rd seamer, with his workload managed correctly and less pressure (virtually none) on his batting he would have much better statistics with the ball IMO (although not with the bat obviously).
    Would depend how he batted at 8, though. Could wind up with a lot more not outs.

International Regular
    Yeah, very little chance he ever scores a ton from there though. His average may have been around the same mark.

Quote Originally Posted by 91Jmay View Post
    Yeah, very little chance he ever scores a ton from there though. His average may have been around the same mark.
    Pfft, Broad did it from 9...

That would be some ****ing tail aye

Funnily though I think England are much, much better set up to have Flintoff play as part of a five man attack than they were when he actually did it. Prior is an infinitely better batsman than Jones to the point where Flintoff would bat seven rather than six, and Broad+Swann provide much better lower order help than.. Giles+Hoggard.

And despite that I'd probably still bat him at eight. Shows what I thought of the selection back then, really.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Definitely true, and there's no bigger advocate of Freddie than me. However, the big objection was always that if he got injured we would be down to a two man seam attack. I agree with those, such as Goughy, who feel that is no basis upon which to select a team but I don't think the selectors would ever take such a risk with someone like dear Freddie
    Which was a bollocks argument as Flintoff would have found a way to bowl even if all his limbs fell off halfway into the game.

Consistency of selection was the issue with Flintoff given his injury record post 05. His ability to bowl his fair share, regardless of the state of his body was never in question. He took 5 wickets on the last day at Lord's bowling relentless 90mph stuff on one leg ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Which was a bollocks argument as Flintoff would have found a way to bowl even if all his limbs fell off halfway into the game.

Consistency of selection was the issue with Flintoff given his injury record post 05. His ability to bowl his fair share, regardless of the state of his body was never in question. He took 5 wickets on the last day at Lord's bowling relentless 90mph stuff on one leg ffs.
    And that was pretty much it for him as a bowler. He had nothing left. So while I agree the break down argument was redundant, he couldn't maintain playing with such a workload every game.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    looking forward to Jonathan Trott being exposed by the left arm pace of Michael Beer in the coming days
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    Jeez it's adding insult to injury when you get belted at the Gabba like that and then need to go to ****ing Alice Springs.
    The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Thread Information