Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Australia's leadership heading toward two big Ashes series

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    The thing is that absolutely nothing of this kind of internal politics ever got out until we started losing as a matter of routine.

If we start winning, we'll start cohesing, simple as. Warne and Waugh never got on after Tugga got the captaincy but you didn't read about it until they'd both retired.

And let's face it, if Watson had won a Test in India with a run-a-ball 150, we'd all be glossing over the fact he's a whiny ****.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Sure, but managing the various personalities within a team is part of what makes you win consistently to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I think the answer to your question, Adders. is that they would. Border, for example, was so (rightly) monumentally revered that no one would question his authority.

Taylor came to lead a side with a number of senior blokes who would have stamped out a lot of this **** from the young blokes.

S Waugh - see Border and Taylor combined.

Ponting - probably, because he was a hard little bugger.
    I reckon my thoughts on this wont be very popular here but my theory (and it is only a theory) is the rot started under Pontings reign. He seemed to me to want to be a "mate" to the team, he led by example in terms of work ethic and performance and just expected everyone to follow suit. I can't imagine him ever ripping strips off anyone in the way I could Border or Waugh. I think after the greats retired Ponting got lost and the leadership of the team was lost too. It was in poor shape when Clarke took over but at least at the time he had Ponting and Hussey there as the elder statesmen to turn too and to show the young punks this is the way we do it. Now there is only Clarke, who they still call "Pup"......I mean what's the go with that for a start?? He copped that nickname as a kid starting out, how can a 20 year old noob be calling his captain Pup FFS??

But I agree with you that as much as Clarke impresses on the field, he hasn't got this side to gel and clearly doesn't have the respect that he deserves, but what do you do about that?? England were in very poor shape when Strauss took over after the Moores/KP debacle, they gave him the captaincy when he was barely holding onto his spot in the side.......do you have a Strauss there capable of doing what he did??

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Sure, but managing the various personalities within a team is part of what makes you win consistently to begin with.
    Very true. A team that's just gotten off the high of winning is more likely to take advice and respond to their leader. Clarke's biggest problem is that he's being relentlessly portrayed - for easy copy by Murdoch and Fairfax, and tactically by Fleet Street - as a conniving dictator presiding over a team that needs a father figure or mentor. That, in itself, is making his job infinitely harder when Crash Craddock is openly trolling his team into making stupid tweets and making him upbraid them in public for reacting. That's going to breed resentment.

Since we'd beaten India in Australia, pushed the world champs to breaking point, beaten up the little Sri Lankans twice and then come apart at the seams, does that mean Clarke has suddenly forgotten how to manage his team? Either he had the skills to begin with or was skiing downhill on the influence of Ponting and Hussey and never bothered to learn. You can dodge an Argus report if you don't lose a series.

Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    But I agree with you that as much as Clarke impresses on the field, he hasn't got this side to gel and clearly doesn't have the respect that he deserves, but what do you do about that?? England were in very poor shape when Strauss took over after the Moores/KP debacle, they gave him the captaincy when he was barely holding onto his spot in the side.......do you have a Strauss there capable of doing what he did??
    Is it a coincidence that they'd just been spanked by South Africa in their own backyard and Vaughan quite fancied sniping easy targets from Twitter instead of giving KP a permanent kick up the arse and rebuilding his side?

Strauss had respect by default, fellow seniors to lean on and the handy asset in the team mutually despising Pietersen.

Then it took another KP blowup during a home series against the yarps and Strauss chucked it in too. It's like a spin-cycle really. One outclassing and it's out the door.

International Debutant
    The slide started after the oval test 2009. Eng won and got stronger. We basically kept the same side and it just got 2 years older and copped the flogging it deserved in 10/11. Once we had a plan. A succession of players coming in for those on the way out. Under Hilditch we kept Hussey as a non performer for almost 2 years. Kept Ponting when it was clear his reflexes were gone at around the time of 2009. We got an Indian summer out of Hussey and that is annoyingly flouted in your face as justification for the lack of foresight. Curiously young players were given the heave ho at the 1st sign of trouble... That isn't planning for the future but begging for trouble. Then we see the folly of planning around players in their late 30s when they up and retire on you. A management that's taken by surprise like that aren't much good.

So now we're in a situation where we have the team disintegrating and a captain who is partly to blame. If it comes down to a choice btwn Clarke and those who hate him then the latter have to go and not just for the obvious reason that Clarke is quality. He's smarter than those he's put offside. He's shown he can learn. Once a chicken against short pitched bowling he's mastered that weakness. When he sensed that gormless tit Lara Bingle was jeopardising his career he took out the (trailer) trash. I'd hope he'd learn from his mismanagement of players and trust he would. Whereas I think Watson will always be a droning little whiner. Warner high maintenance and Usman a cricketing hobo happy to piss his talent and opportunity up against the wall. If you don't have the talent to select then pick character. Start the purge now and just remember it should have begun in 2009.
    Last edited by the big bambino; 17-06-2013 at 03:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LongHopCassidy View Post
    Is it a coincidence that they'd just been spanked by South Africa in their own backyard and Vaughan quite fancied sniping easy targets from Twitter instead of giving KP a permanent kick up the arse and rebuilding his side?

Strauss had respect by default, fellow seniors to lean on and the handy asset in the team mutually despising Pietersen.

Then it took another KP blowup during a home series against the yarps and Strauss chucked it in too. It's like a spin-cycle really. One outclassing and it's out the door.
    LOL.....meow.

Not sure what all that was about but do you dispute the fact that Strauss took over a team in a shambles on and off the field. Bowled out for 51 against the Windies in his first test in charge and ranked 5th in the world, in 2 years he took them to No 1. All I asked was do you have a character in the wings that can unite this Aussie team and potentially take them to the top of the rankings??

i think we only started losing after justin langer left for wa spikey to confirm
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Cricket Australia hurting game by going soft on incidents such as David Warner punching Joe Root | thetelegraph.com.au

CA can be very secretive with penalties, as was the case when it fined a player a five-figure sum for an alleged dalliance with drugs after a Test against India last year, but decided to keep it secret rather than embarrass him (and isn't that partially what fines are for?)
    That's a big one to throw out there, Crash.
    Last edited by vic_orthdox; 17-06-2013 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post

ex. 1: the effects of shrooms
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    s
    ^real tearjerker from this cock

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    I see the CA lawyers got onto you quicksmart
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Quote Originally Posted by ajdude View Post

ex. 1: the effects of shrooms
    Be careful, you know what happened last time someone put a picture of Warner next to a Crash article.

come at me warner do you even lift bro

tbf the photo is actually from the article

U19 Vice-Captain
    CA really could've done with keeping an old crusty fella in the team no matter what their form was like as Clarke is too much of a baby faced looking whippersnapper to engender respect on his own. Someone who has a chin you can strike matches off no matter what time of day it is.

simon-katich_1499372c.jpg

I'm sure Clarke could've let bygones be bygones vis a vis the throat grabbing incident.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Well, if the allegations about Clarke throwing out Katich because of the fact that they didn't get along are true, then it just makes some sense.. you dish out crap, you get that in return..
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information