• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Combined XI

Howe_zat

Audio File
Which Aussies would get into the England side, and vice versa? And after the series we can all examine how wrong we are.

Cook
Warner
Trott
Pietersen
Clarke
Root
Prior
Swann
Siddle
Pattinson
Anderson

I reckon 8 of that side are pretty much locked in. Don't really feel like backing Trott much right now but I can't think of a replacement, and he's better there than Bell. Root's questionable given he's there over a couple more established players, but idc, I'm too busy declaring him bigger than Jesus. Most debatable is probably Siddle v Broad, in a consistent v potential kind of way, but seeing as the latter's batting has gone to **** lately and they'll be bowling first change anyway I'm inclined to go for the ***y veggie.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agree completely with the side.

In b4 Burgey comes in and replaces Swann with Lyon and some other **** just posts either a full English or Aus side.

flibbertyjibber

I'd have Broad over Siddle from that side but there isn't much in it. Warner very lucky to get in but no opener other than Cook is very good.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Well I'd still back Bell to comfortably do better that Root however well Root has done recently and how average Bell is. I'd probably have Watson in there instead of Root if (and obviously only if) he is fit for bowling.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I agree with the OP XI unless you take out Warner, open with Trott and play Bell or someone in the middle order. However, a little bit more luck/guess work, rhe XI who I think will perform the best in the Ashes:

1. A Cook
2. E Cowan
3. C Rogers
4. K Pietersen (if not fit, I Bell).
5. M Clarke
6. J Root
7. B Haddin
8. P Siddle
9. J Pattinson
10. G Swann
11. J Anderson

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'd pick Watson ahead of Warner. Even his habit of getting out when reasonably set is more useful than what Warner looks like contributing right now.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah, pretty much agree with the OP. The only debate is Root v someone else and Broad v Siddle. I'd be inclined to go with Broad actually. Broad can do a decent job at first change as well.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Those whom I think will do well...

A Cook
C Rogers
J Trott
K Pietersen
M Clarke
D Warner
M Prior
C Broad
J Pattinson
G Swann
J Anderson

J Bird

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hahah, no David Boon though?

Can't really disagree with the side in the OP but I Warner could very easily have a really awful series. Broad v Siddle is very close, might go for Broad in England actually.

Would like to think that Root would be opening before long so you can have him at the top with Cook and then bring in Bell or whatever at 6.

adub

International Captain
Harris on one leg before Siddle, Broad or anyone else.

Haddin and Prior in the side with Dud out. (they can toss a coin for the gloves/no.6 job before each innings)

Rogers and Bird the smokeys who could demand a spot at the end of the series.

morgieb

Cook
Warner
Trott
Pietersen
Clarke
Root
Prior
Swann
Pattinson
Siddle
Anderson

I don't like putting Warner and Root here as I still feel they've got a lot to prove, but that's just the way it is.

greg

International Debutant
Harris on one leg before Siddle, Broad or anyone else.

Haddin and Prior in the side with Dud out. (they can toss a coin for the gloves/no.6 job before each innings)
Toss a coin for the gloves? Had Haddin's keeping suddenly improved significantly since the last time we saw him? The Australian selectors really must have been screwing up recently if they haven't been able to find a place for Haddin despite his batting being good enough for no6 and his keeping being as good as Prior's!

Riggins

International Captain
yea haddin's been pretty inconsistent with the gloves, but you're comparing him to matt prior. man. he's a good batsman but please.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Prior's outkept Haddin in each series where they've been in direct opposition.

Wade's bollock-fisted efforts might've given Bradley's glovework a rosy glow now, but let's not go down this route again.

&, I bow to no-one in my admiration for Rhino, but if he's in the shake up so is Tremlett.

Riggins

International Captain
yeah im not trying to say haddin's clearly better, i just think they are both distinctly average. wade obviously far below average.

greg

International Debutant
Prior is probably the best keeper (not keeper-bat) in International cricket at the moment. If that makes him 'average' (compared to what?) then so be it, but i think he is certainly significantly better than Haddin. As will be shown this summer i expect.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Haddin won't even play in all likelihood. Very strange how most Aus fans appear to have gotten over the atrocious last year he had in Tests, when many of them were hounding him out of the side.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
VC isn't he? Seems like them putting him in the squad is an admission that he'll be first choice wk for now, even if only as a stop-gap.