• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4teenth thread - will Ponting comeback rumours be the new Warne comeback story?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Saw it discussed elsewhere that a Ponting SOS was vaguely alluded to. Now every Ashes since Australia last won one (yes younger readers it did happen in the distant past) has been full of these rumours about Warne. Alas, Australia's weakness (aside from a lack of culture and contributions to the wider world and an unhealthy sourness in defeat) is undoubtedly batting. Despite Ponting being a bit meh for the final stages of his career, will the media be crying out for him and more importantly will he play on it like Warne did/does?

I'm not gonna lie, I'm gonna miss hating that chimp this summer.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Ponting's reason for retiring was he felt he didn't deserve his spot anymore. The irony of that statement will be lost on few here given Australia's current batting line up.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Made it clear on Sky that it will not be an issue.

Bring back Ramps though. Now that is something I can get behind.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Tbf I was right behind that campaign in 2009

Well, kinda. Anyone but Ravi at that point.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As was I. Refuse to ever give up hope that Ramps will make it as an international batsman.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't doubt there'll be a time in the series when we wish Ponting was there, but it ain't gonna happen

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Tbh if you took the time to read the article and/or watch the interview you'd realise what he basically said was in the event of injuries or a total loss of form from some of the players; more to the point I'm pretty sure Punter will be in the Caribbean t20 from the start of August whih rules him out of 3 of the tests anyway.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't doubt there'll be a time in the series when we wish Ponting was there, but it ain't gonna happen
I'll let the duck answer for me...

<quack>

I can see it now. Ponting answers the call of a shambolic Australia and he strides purposefully out to bat with Australia 3-0 down at Chester-le-Street, the scoreboard reading 9-2. The crowd get to their feet as one, roaring with delight as the old hero strides across the turf - no, not Ponting. Stuart Broad has just bowled 11 overs and taken 1-1, and having had a quick chat with the umpire, nipped off for a totally justified and perfectly legitimate back-rub and sauna. The replacement fielder, warming up by whirling a giant sausage around his head, is Cumberland's Greatest Living Englishman, Gary Pratt.

</quack>

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Ponting won't become the new Warne in terms of possible comebacks because he's not that good*

*in Ashes terms.