• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4teenth thread - will Ponting comeback rumours be the new Warne comeback story?

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Didn't he average 90-odd in the Sheffield Shield last winter?

Just sayin'...
once he gets out he'll have an even better average in country!

Ponting was in way better shape last summer than he was the summer before (after the NZ series) imo. it always annoyed me he retired instead of getting dropped but fighting back ala Haddin.

Ruckus

International Captain
The more I hear about Ponting's good form in domestic cricket, the more I think his problems were all mental. It's as though as soon as he is put back on center stage he just can't take it anymore. I know he's never been the greatest t20 player, but he was terrible in the IPL too, and now he is seemingly back on track in county.

Ruckus

International Captain
I actually think Ponting did become mentally 'soft' towards the latter years of his career, at least relative to what he was before anyway. His uncertainty at the crease was palpable, you could really see him thinking out there. As can often be the case, strengths can turn into weaknesses pretty quickly for aging players.

flibbertyjibber

Don't get carried away, he has got runs against the worst attack in Div 1. Wait and see what he does against others before saying he has still got it.

Ruckus

International Captain
It's never gonna happen obv, but I think it would be a baaad idea to bring him back. Honestly don't think he'd be more likely to get runs than any of the other top order. Hussey on the other hand...definitely could do with him. Was, and still is going off the ipl, at the peak of his game when he left. Damn shame.

morgieb

The difference between Ponting and Warne is that Ponting's still play domestic cricket. Warne wasn't.

With Hussey gone we could really use Ponting this time around, his domestic form is still excellent.

But he isn't coming back afaic.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year

Burgey

He really flip-flopped as to his allegiences, did Roebuck.

Then two weeks later he flip flopped on this very issue and said Ponting ad "won him back" and should stay on.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah Roebuck had to stay the course regarding Ponting the minute he went so big and called for him to be sacked. I don't mind a journalist changing their mind generally (so long as they acknowledge this) but when you call for the Australian cricket captain to be sacked you can't escape that a few weeks or months later.

uvelocity

International Coach
from the date of the article - 54 tests, 8 tons, 6546 runs at 40.5
before the article - 114 tests, 33 tons, 16236 runs at 58.35

id love to see a graph of punters career average actually. wish statsguru would let you do that

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
That red current career average line is bogus. Ponting didn't end up with an average just shy of 60.