• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

13th Thread - Who will be the Pantomime Villain?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As most of us know, the English are incapable of watching sport without reducing it to some camped up form of musical theatre, owing to their tiny brains, even smaller attention spans and to distract them from centuries of abject athletic failure.

This being so, the Toothless Terrors of the Terraces around the Soapfree Isles need to focus their tiny minds on at least one of the opposition to take out their frustration at living in a country with two weeks' sun per annum, an annual mean household income of AUD$4.80 and being so bereft of achievements they celebrated the existence of a public health system in an Olympic Opening Ceremony.

Which lithe, athletic and obviously superior specimen of Australian masculinity will be the subject of their opprobrium this time around? Those of us old enough can recall Merv Hughes being the subject of much derision in 1989 and again in 1993, when he was referred to as Sumo by the Pommie crowds ("I don't look like Peter Sumich" was Merv's artful riposte). By 1997 Shane Warne was copping all sorts of abuse about his weight and his predilections, though he generally had the last laugh because he was so damn good, and couldn't help but laugh at having his appearance mocked by a bunch of people who flopped into their seats each day like elephant seals falling off a rock, all the while wearing those stupid handkerchief hats on their balding pates (yeah, looking at you, Corrin) to shelter from the blazing 14 degree sunshine.

Owing to the fact the English don't know a true champion because they've never actually had one in anything (Scrabble does not count), by 2001 the great unwashed were not only abusing Warne, they'd begun to have a go at Glenn McGrath and Ricky Ponting too. After all, there ain't no boorishness like stupid boorishness. This continued in 2005, when England had a win for the first time in a century and a half, owing largely to the fact they discovered the effect of spitting the residue of confectionary onto the ball. Only the English, a nation so lacking in manners and decorum, would have spat on a cricket ball so much that they got to learn the various effects of different foodstuffs on the damn thing. Other countries might have tried spraying deodorant on the thing, but the Poms would never have done that, for obvious reasons.

By 2009 Mitchell Johnson was copping it from the filth, and in this instance they actually got it right. A broken clock is right twice a day, after all. Nevertheless, the Poms still demonstrated their lack of class in picking on the kid with issues.

So, who will it be this time? I think it will be out of Pattinson, Warner and Siddle. They might try Clarke, but it's his third tour and he's so used to it he'd probably just walk over and offer them a towel to wipe away the dribble. Siddle is no oil painting, but he strikes me as the sort of bloke who will just laugh it off. Pattinson is an Adonis and bowls outswing at 95 miles per hour. He's probably the last bloke you'd really want to piss off, so I think the idiotic Poms will probably try and do just that. He's my first pick to be targetted.

The other one would be Warner. He's not averse at having a chop back either, so there might be some good sport to be had by both sides. As long as the BO Brigade use small words, they might be able to get to him a bit.

Any others?

Daemon

Imagine the rage if you posted something similar during an Indian series.

Burgey

I don't think Indian fans ID a villain like the English fans, but then again most people in India probably know the results of the games before they take place :ph34r:

Burgey

Are you saying Australia was bribed into losing 4-0?
Nah, India was bribed into trying.

I also think there's a bit less angst in the India-Australia thing now because, firstly, Ponting has retired and everyone seemed to hate him over there, and secondly, both teams are so utterly **** in the other country.

Daemon

Definitely. The recent series was much less angsty compared to the one in Australia, and there was also a lot less gloating from the Indians.

Anything can happen though, one or two questionable tweets from Warner could easily make him our next most hated Australian.

Daemon

I'm sure you guys appreciate me turning this thread into something about India.

Sachin recently retired from the IPL ftr.

Burgey

Definitely. The recent series was much less angsty compared to the one in Australia, and there was also a lot less gloating from the Indians.

Anything can happen though, one or two questionable tweets from Warner could easily make him our next most hated Australian.
I don't think he'd do that though. He seems to really like India. Plus he gets paid a lot of dough to play there for a few weeks every year.

Burgey

I don't think he'd do that though. He seems to really like India. Plus he gets paid a lot of dough to play there for a few weeks every year.
Then again, he gets paid a **** load to play for Australia and he still tweeted that stuff the other day (which I'm glad he did tbh, Craddock and Conn are woeful).

Burgey

Patto seriously likely to jump the fence and belt someone if he's all fired up in the middle of a spell. Hope it's Corrin.

Burgey

Yeah that's not a bad shout, though he's also been over there before. It's a bit hard to portray him as a villain, because I always get the impression he's about to cry.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Similar to the portrayal of MJ perhaps - Pommie supporters going after the weak one in the line-up because they know the rest are hard ****s you can't get at?

Or, in the case of Warner, too bloody stupid to understand the insults being thrown at him.

Burgey

They're pretty easy to deal with actually. If you turned around and had a laugh with them, you'd win them over.

Ruckus

International Captain
In terms of our squad here's who I think would be likely to react to pommie taunts:

Warner - yes, could go either way. Could either force him into rash shots, or make him score a run-a-ball match winning century.
Cowan - no
Watson - yes, will likely negatively affect his performance.
Clarke - no
Rogers - no
Hughes - maybe, leaning towards thinking it would improve his performance, but old demons might resurface being back in England.
Khawaja - yes, thinking it would make him be more aggressive, but probably to his own downfall.
Wade - yes, think he would knuckle down though, and score some gritty runs.
Haddin - yes, would force him into rash shots, although this being his 'comeback' of sorts he might be more determined to focus on the game situation.
Siddle - yes, would bowl better and run in harder.
Pattinson - yes, would bowl better and run in angrier.
Starc - yes, would turn into a Johnson like mess.
Lyon - no, think he would just get on with business.
Bird - no real idea, but don't think he'd let it affect him.

So I think Watson, Khawaja, Starc and maybe Hughes/Warner should be the prime targets.

Of England, everyone would be negatively affected except Trott, but whose going to sledge Trott anyway. Waiting for a response would be more boring than watching him play.

Valer

First Class Debutant
In terms of our squad here's who I think would be likely to react to pommie taunts:

Warner - yes, could go either way. Could either force him into rash shots, or make him score a run-a-ball match winning century.
Cowan - no
Watson - yes, will likely negatively affect his performance.
Clarke - no
Rogers - no
Hughes - maybe, leaning towards thinking it would improve his performance, but old demons might resurface being back in England.
Khawaja - yes, thinking it would make him be more aggressive, but probably to his own downfall.
Wade - yes, think he would knuckle down though, and score some gritty runs.
Haddin - yes, would force him into rash shots, although this being his 'comeback' of sorts he might be more determined to focus on the game situation.
Siddle - yes, would bowl better and run in harder.
Pattinson - yes, would bowl better and run in angrier.
Starc - yes, would turn into a Johnson like mess.
Lyon - no, think he would just get on with business.
Bird - no real idea, but don't think he'd let it affect him.

So I think Watson, Khawaja, Starc and maybe Hughes/Warner should be the prime targets.

Of England, everyone would be negatively affected except Trott, but whose going to sledge Trott anyway. Waiting for a response would be more boring than watching him play.
Was this meant to be a Harris injury joke? :laugh: