• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

8th thread - who should make way for KP?

Who would you drop for KP?

• Leave him out

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Captain Cook

• Trott

• Root

• Swann

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Simple enough question really. With 3 rookies in the side you'd imagine one of them would make way but I'm sure some people would like to see Bell get the chop, or maybe even Trott?

The poll should account for all options, so I'm assuming you don't think he should keep or bowl seam-up.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hate to say it but it still has to be Bairstow. They have gone for Compton as opener and he should get the first two ashes tests at least.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Simple enough question really. With 3 rookies in the side you'd imagine one of them would make way but I'm sure some people would like to see Bell get the chop, or maybe even Trott?

The poll should account for all options, so I'm assuming you don't think he should keep or bowl seam-up.
Could drop Prior and make Bairstow keep tbf. And yes, I'll show myself out for the silly suggestion :unsure:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
:laugh: I didn't think of that

I personally think it would be ridiculous to drop either Trott or Bell at this point, experience is one of our advantage going into this Ashes and I wouldn't want to throw that away and play three unproven bats in the top six if we can help it. And it's not like there's that much distinction on Compton or Bairstow's form when compared with those two (obviously Compton has the recent tons under his belt)

I was leaning towards dropping Compton and getting Root to open, but Bairstow got out after a good start and his issues towards bounce worry me. I'm on the fence but I think it's Bairstow who makes way at this point.

Assuming we get one, our second innings may persuade me otherwise.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

I personally think it would be ridiculous to drop either Trott or Bell at this point, experience is one of our advantage going into this Ashes and I wouldn't want to throw that away and play three unproven bats in the top six if we can help it. And it's not like there's that much distinction on Compton or Bairstow's form when compared with those two (obviously Compton has the recent tons under his belt)

I was leaning towards dropping Compton and getting Root to open, but Bairstow got out after a good start and his issues towards bounce worry me. I'm on the fence but I think it's Bairstow who makes way at this point.

I thini experience is over-rated.

Plus Trott just really annoys me for some reason.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Could drop Prior and make Bairstow keep obvz.
EDIT: FU Cabinet. FU.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain

yes i can't imagine anyone is serious about dropping one of Trott or Bell before the ashes. Both have been average (even poor at times) for a while but both are significantly more accomplished allround players than anyone who will replace them.

The time will come after the ashes(either this summers or the winters) where if Trott or especially Bell failed England would have to move on from them. But as you say experience is one of the serious advantages we have for these two forthcoming series' and to get rid of either would be a horrible error gifting Australia a bigger chance than they currently have.

Can't help thinking that I would like Root to bat at 4 long term for England. Very decent against spin and always looking for runs. Probably a little too loose to be an opener (at present) but still accomplished against pace. Able to play aggresively or defensively dependent on situation and with a unruffled nature. He's got no.4 written all over it imo. Unfortunately England are gonna be an opener short when Compton goes sometime in the next few years and unless a Chopra steps up in the mean time Root may be the logical choice at the time.

To the original question of the thread. I would prey that Compton goes back to Somerset and scores runs. Root looks settled at 6 - I wouldn't want to throw him into an ashes test for the first time as an opener.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I voted for Bell to piss off Adders, but it'll be bairstow.
You don't piss me off Burgey, your unfounded, nonsensical ramblings amuse me.

I'm most interested to see when this series does go South for your Baggy Greens, if you have the ticker to hang around or will you disappear in customary Australian cricket fan fashion.

the big bambino

International Captain

I'm most interested to see when this series does go South for your Baggy Greens, if you have the ticker to hang around or will you disappear in customary Australian cricket fan fashion.
That's a laugh. I remember on another site we used to call a fair weather English fan Flintoff after that player's 2009 heroics. Mainly because he was front and centre when his team won but notably absent when they lost.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That's a laugh. I remember on another site we used to call a fair weather English fan Flintoff after that player's 2009 heroics. Mainly because he was front and centre when his team won but notably absent when they lost.
:laugh:!!

We have to think of an Indian equivalent to call Turbinator.

Burgey

I'll be here mate, no matter the result. My teenage years were the 80s. If I was going to give up on Australian cricket, it would have been then. I was here when Australia lost last time and I'll be here when we win 4-0 this time.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Evidence is there for all to see over the last 20 odd years. England fans have traveled in massive numbers supporting what was a **** team for the most part. Still payed their money and sung their songs right to end of every thrashing.

Sydney, 2007. At the end of that test England fans were the last to leave the SCG.....Thousands of them singing....

We're 5-0 down, but we're having a laugh.

Now lets compare that to the Aussie fans during 2010/11.........

I think you get what I'm saying:happy:

Burgey

Of course. England fans expect and are comfortable with abject mediocrity. It's one if the few charming things about them.

I recall the England fans singing "We've got the worst team, in the world" in either 93 or 01. Was pretty funny.

Last edited: