• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Eleventh thread - Shane Watson

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Would love to see what howardj says if that happens :laugh:
He'll still slate Cowan and ignore Watson, as he does when presented with evidence that Cowan's average of 32 is much superior to Watson's average in the same timeframe.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
If Watson can average a handy 25-30 with the ball and 50 with the bat (either opening or having massive partnerships with Clarke) it will go a long way towards us winning The Ashes.

Unfortunately I cannot see this happening.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Given recent form averaging 50 seems well beyond him. Even if he scores a few 50s he's unlikely to convert them anyway.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
**** him. He can count his dirty gazillions from the IPL in between Lee Furlong shaggings for all I care, as long as it's at the team hotel from 10am till 6pm.

Would really, truly, honestly rather see Hughes open over Watson, although he's still well behind Cowan and Rogers in my estimation.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd love to see Watson dropped at some point during the Ashes and never see him return, I'm sick of 2 years of mediocrity.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think he should play, based on recent form, unless he's bowling. He's a more than decent fifth bowling option. His batting has been terribad for a long time now though.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Shane Watson has only ever fulfilled his role in the Australian cricket team when he has opened the batting. I think as it stands right now, he shouldn't even be in the touring squad. There's no way he deserves a spot based on his batting form, and he hasn't bowled for ages. He's dead wood.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
That's good. I means he'll get injured, **** off from the team, making the team better.

I'm going to throw a theory out there, and when all these current Aust players have retired and written their books, I think I'll be proven correct:

"Shane Watson has been the destabilising force to morale and attitude in this test team, not Michael Clarke".

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I know he's had his best run with the bat when he opened, but it would be interesting to see how he went if he was bowling, batting six or seven and had a licence to just go out and smote it around, ODI style. Benaud did that with Simpson in the Melbourne Test of the 60-61 series - told him to go out on day four and just take Hall on, and if he got out then Benaud would wear the rap for it.

Then again, I really don't know if his mental approach would ever really let him do that. And I don't know whether, given their fractious relationship, whether Clarke would do it.

Last edited: