Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Second thread - Crowds for the Ashes in Australia

Second thread - Crowds for the Ashes in Australia

Having a debate with a friend right now and looking to see what you guys think.

If (and before Burgey attacks me with a crowbar, this is purely a hypothetical) Australia get absolutely hammered in the Ashes in England (say 4-0 or 5-0), will crowds in Australia for the series be affected at all? Or is the Ashes brand and contest strong enough that it won't have an impact?

There is a lot of doom about the future of cricket against other sports in Australia right now. Not just results of the national team, but also just the general interest of people. TV ratings, crowd attendances and money in the game are all being claimed to be down.

Curious to see what you guys think. Do you think if Australia cop a hiding in England that some Australian grounds (Gabba hasn't been great for tests lately) may have a reduced attendance for these Ashes tests than they'd usually have?

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    What you're really asking is whether people will make their way down to the ground on their way home from the beach or the shops

Melbourne and Sydney will sell out I think, regardless of the result in England. The difficulty for cricket is there's so much more to do here in summer, as opposed to what passes for summer in England. The Sky equivalent to Lawry's famous maxim is "If you're on your way home after visiting the stones on the sea side via the respiratory ward after catching pneumonia from the arctic water, pop into the tiny ground and try and get a seat".
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    What you're really asking is whether people will make their way down to the ground on their way home from the beach or the shops

Will never get old.

It won't be as good as 2006/07, but I would expect good crowds.

Brisbane is ****,I don't know why they bother keeping test cricket up there, no one ever turns up (partly because it's not the hols in November).

Adelaide is usually excellent, most days will have at least half full crowds (it will hold 50,000 odd by then).

Perth will be full most days, but the WACA only holds like 20,000 or something so that won't be a surprise.

Melbourne will get at least 80,000 on day 1 you'd think, day 2/3 will probably push 45,000 and then it peters off a lot.

Sydney will be capacity day one, before the numbers fall each day, but there is still interest in Sydney.
    There are two colours in my head

Crowds will turn up no matter what the result in England........and then if the Aussies aren't going so well they'll head back home quick smart just like they did in 2010/11.

December 26th 2010 - 90+K in the MCG for the start of play, about 15K left at tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    It won't be as good as 2006/07, but I would expect good crowds.

Brisbane is ****,I don't know why they bother keeping test cricket up there, no one ever turns up (partly because it's not the hols in November).

Adelaide is usually excellent, most days will have at least half full crowds (it will hold 50,000 odd by then).

Perth will be full most days, but the WACA only holds like 20,000 or something so that won't be a surprise.

Melbourne will get at least 80,000 on day 1 you'd think, day 2/3 will probably push 45,000 and then it peters off a lot.

Sydney will be capacity day one, before the numbers fall each day, but there is still interest in Sydney.
    Will this still occur if England win 4-0 or 5-0 though? Obviously the crowds will come out if its a normal Ashes series but I'm not sure if you'll necessarily get 80k in Melbourne if England won 4-0 and then are 2-0 up or something.

Then again maybe they will, not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Will this still occur if England win 4-0 or 5-0 though? Obviously the crowds will come out if its a normal Ashes series but I'm not sure if you'll necessarily get 80k in Melbourne if England won 4-0 and then are 2-0 up or something.

Then again maybe they will, not sure.
    Nah if England are dominating then people won't show as much, but the die-hards will come, there is always hope...

I was banking on a close series.

gabba is the worst ground. worst rules. worst transport. worst prices. worst timing. worst cover

bring it to metricon
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post

Melbourne and Sydney will sell out I think, regardless of the result in England. The difficulty for cricket is there's so much more to do here in summer, as opposed to what passes for summer in England. The Sky equivalent to Lawry's famous maxim is "If you're on your way home after visiting the stones on the sea side via the respiratory ward after catching pneumonia from the arctic water, pop into the tiny ground and try and get a seat".
    Most of the beaches round here and sandy you ****
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Bish, please. There's that gun beach in the north east that has a spectacular castle on it, can't remember it's name. But it's that cold you'd never swim there. You know it.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Why would you want to swim in the sea, just go to a swimming pool

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Swimming pools are so bad. What the hell do you do in them?
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Why swim in a pool when you can swim in the East River?

Quote Originally Posted by GotSpin View Post
    Swimming pools are so bad. What the hell do you do in them?
    throw a mars bar in and watch

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Why would you want to swim in the sea, just go to a swimming pool
    Next thing you'll be suggesting the English bathe. Lets not get silly here.

Love an Ashes year. Really, the other series are just there to fill in time, aren't they?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information