• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Second thread - Crowds for the Ashes in Australia

Backlash

School Boy/Girl Captain
I am not up in arms about the back-to-back Ashes
You should be if you're an Australia fan. They have set the national team up to potentially fail massively for money. They have allowed the system to become broke and flawed. Which means we can't produce enough players of high quality to put together a quality team, and since Cricket Australia agreed to the back to back Ashes they have put us into a position were we could not just lose one but two Ashes series within 6 months. They do not have the best interest of our national team at heart.

Add to that what was moved because it was meant to be an disadvantage for England having to play an Ashes series and World Cup back to back in 2014/15 has now turned into the same disadvantage for Australia in 2019. Cricket Australia let that happen so they could make a quick buck. I mean how am I meant to stay a passionate supporter when the people who are meant to govern my team and have the team's best interest don't care?

I emailed Cricket Australia about my concerns but of course they couldn't be bothered to reply. I am treated with discontent but they no doubt expect me to show up this summer and pay the ridiculous ticket prices they will no doubt charge to watch the inferior product they have put on the field. It's no wonder people are being put off the game.

Stick around Backlash.
I'd love to stick around but I'm just not sure anymore. I'm falling more and more out of love with the game sadly. The game is just a mess right now. It's at an all time low in my county. There are too many forms of the game. Pretty much all the boards around the world main focus is 20/20. Some of the poaching that is also happening is putting me off the sport too. Cricket was my number one passion as a kid but it's a real struggle to keep going these days. :(

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I thought the whole move of the Ashes was a push from England, who were always stuffed having been on tour in Australia for the Ashes, having basically no time off and then going straight into a World Cup. End up spending the best part of six months away, and doesn't give them the best preparation possible for a WC.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I thought the whole move of the Ashes was a push from England, who were always stuffed having been on tour in Australia for the Ashes, having basically no time off and then going straight into a World Cup. End up spending the best part of six months away, and doesn't give them the best preparation possible for a WC.
Indeed.

Having a few of our players (James Anderson in particular) physically and/or mentally shot did us no favours in the World Cup.

Backlash

School Boy/Girl Captain
Which is all well and good but why was Australia then put into a situation where they will have to back up a World Cup with an Ashes series. Playing a two month World Cup is hardly the best preparation for an Ashes series either. It's amazing how this has barely been brought up anywhere. The only time I have seen it brought up is by Scyld Berry once.

With administering like this it's hardly a shock that people are being put off the sport in this country.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Which is all well and good but why was Australia then put into a situation where they will have to back up a World Cup with an Ashes series. Playing a two month World Cup is hardly the best preparation for an Ashes series either. It's amazing how this has barely been brought up anywhere. The only time I have seen it brought up is by Scyld Berry once.

With administering like this it's hardly a shock that people are being put off the sport in this country.
2019 is literally the only time it will happen in a generation.

Every other World Cup will get held around about February-April time.

Backlash

School Boy/Girl Captain
2019 is literally the only time it will happen in a generation.

Every other World Cup will get held around about February-April time.
It doesn't matter if it's only happening once, it's still happening and it didn't need too. The Cricket Australia administrators put money before the national team. They care more about money and the Big Bash League than the best interests of the national team. They care more about 20/20 & the BBL than they do about first class cricket & the Sheffield Shield.

This is why Cricket is dying here. Because when you have administrators like this why should you care anymore?

Backlash

School Boy/Girl Captain
England and Wales to host 2019 Cricket World Cup - Telegraph

Well then, it's official now. The 2019 ICC World Cup will be taking place in the UK. Surely they'll be moving the 2019 Ashes now to de-link these two events? I mean if they didn't want it to happen in 2014/2015 then how could you have the same thing happen in 2019? 8-)

Here's hoping the crowds & TV ratings go down the hole this summer. Anyway to get these asshole administrators out.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year

Well then, it's official now. The 2019 ICC World Cup will be taking place in the UK. Surely they'll be moving the 2019 Ashes now to de-link these two events? I mean if they didn't want it to happen in 2014/2015 then how could you have the same thing happen in 2019? 8-)

Here's hoping the crowds & TV ratings go down the hole this summer. Anyway to get these asshole administrators out.
Test cricket will be out before the administrators are.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

2019 is the only time it'll happen for a generation. Get over it.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Test cricket will be out before the administrators are.
No it won't. ODIs are far more likely to go before Tests, and I don't think they will go either - there's too much money in them.

Test cricket is like rugby league. You couldn't kill it with a thermonuclear weapon. People have been predicting its demise since the 1950s at least, and it's still here.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
No it won't. ODIs are far more likely to go before Tests, and I don't think they will go either - there's too much money in them.

Test cricket is like rugby league. You couldn't kill it with a thermonuclear weapon. People have been predicting its demise since the 1950s at least, and it's still here.
To be honest I said that more as a way of expressing to backlash that preserving test cricket is more important than kicking out the administrators. Test cricket will be around for ages yet I reckon.

Backlash

School Boy/Girl Captain
To be honest I said that more as a way of expressing to backlash that preserving test cricket is more important than kicking out the administrators. Test cricket will be around for ages yet I reckon.
There's no point in preserving it while it's still around if our future (Australia's) in it is pretty much dead which is what it is with these currant administrators. We have no future in Test Cricket with the way Cricket Australia is run right now always. Might as well hope for some short term pain for a chance of long term gain instead of just standing still and watching this corpse we've got now.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
There's no point in preserving it while it's still around if our future (Australia's) in it is pretty much dead which is what it is with these currant administrators. We have no future in Test Cricket with the way Cricket Australia is run right now always. Might as well hope for some short term pain for a chance of long term gain instead of just standing still and watching this corpse we've got now.
OK, I must admit I don't agree with that - what can the administrators do when the game is stuck between the fans who want to preserve the game and the big money that wants to commercialize it?

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Test cricket will survive as long as there's an Ashes.

Whether it survives in any sort of meaningful form outwith the Ashes is another question entirely.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Test cricket will survive as long as there's an Ashes.

Whether it survives in any sort of meaningful form outwith the Ashes is another question entirely.
The Ashes is far less vulnerable than Test cricket, because - and I know this sounds terrible - but it could just as easily be contested over a series of five T20 Internationals if that was the order of the day.

I'm definitely not in the "sky is falling" camp as far as Test cricket goes by any stretch of the imagination, but if it's only holding on because people don't want to let go of the Ashes despite converting to T20 cricket as the premier format of cricket then it won't hold on; the Ashes will just adapt to the needs of the day.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The Ashes is far less vulnerable than Test cricket, because - and I know this sounds terrible - but it could just as easily be contested over a series of five T20 Internationals if that was the order of the day.

I'm definitely not in the "sky is falling" camp as far as Test cricket goes by any stretch of the imagination, but if it's only holding on because people don't want to let go of the Ashes despite converting to T20 cricket as the premier format of cricket then it won't hold on; the Ashes will just adapt to the needs of the day.
Nah, I disagree. The Ashes is special enough to not change, regardless of what happens with the rest of cricket. It's Test cricket's premier series, and it's the only series which has survived the move away from 5 Test series. Even if T20 became the premier, and virtually only form of the game, I still think the Ashes would survive in the same way that the British Lions tours survive in Rugby Union.

Regardless of what's going on with cricket in 20, 30, 40 years time, young batsmen will want to emulate Don Bradman and bowlers will fancy a crack at Shane Warne's records. You don't do that by playing 5 T20 games.