Cricket Player Manager
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Second thread - Crowds for the Ashes in Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Backlash View Post
    This would actually make sense if it wasn't for the fact that as of right now the 2019 World Cup will take place in England just before the Ashes that year. Yeah, they're doing it to stop clashing the Ashes with the World Cup.
    Haha we're not even guaranteed that the ODI game will exist in 2019. Steady on.

Fair comment and what you say is very true.

But they are still expecting Eng and Aus supporters to dig into their pockets and fork out for the 2 most expensive tours in the cricket calendar within weeks of each other.

School Boy/Girl Captain Backlash's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    well CA are what we are stuck with, and to be honest I love cricket way too much to be taking that kind of action against the board.
    And that's why we're stuck with them, because too many people are not willing to do something about them. Cricket Australia is a poison to Cricket and they have to be stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Haha we're not even guaranteed that the ODI game will exist in 2019. Steady on.
    Steady on? Are you serious? They've both been scheduled in. Did the boards just throw them in together and figured they'd sort it out when the time came? The 2019 World Cup will take place, which makes a mockery of moving the 2014/15 Ashes a year early, and if ODI is dead by 2019 then Test Cricket won't be far after that.
    Last edited by Backlash; 14-05-2013 at 08:07 AM.

I'm struggling to see how the 2019 World Cup makes a mockery of anything but ok then
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

forever 63*

Cricket Australia is a poison to Cricket and they have to be stopped.
    Haha that is such a great sentence. Kudos.

Steady on? Are you serious? They've both been scheduled in. Did the boards just throw them in together and figured they'd sort it out when the time came? The 2019 World Cup will take place, which makes a mockery of moving the 2014/15 Ashes a year early, and if ODI is dead by 2019 then Test Cricket won't be far after that.
    Haven't we had series/events been scheduled in and then change closer to the date many times? Sure not a World Cup (but Champions Trophy and bilaterals have been changed so many times), but I think the state of ODI cricket right now means that there is no guarantee of anything.

I mean wasn't it not long ago that England and South Africa agreed to always play a 5 test series? And then like less than 2 years later that was thrown in the bid?

Pretty sure entire series have been flat-out cancelled recently.

Mind you, ODIs will stick around longer than people expect, until it stops being cricket's (read: the BCCI's) major revenue stream.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    I'm struggling to see how the 2019 World Cup makes a mockery of anything but ok then
    They moved the 2014/15 Ashes a year early because they said they wanted to de-link the Ashes with the World Cup. They then moved the 2017 Ashes to 2015 and said they wanted to start the 4 year cycle from that point. Which means in the 2019 English summer Australia will play the World Cup in June & July and then play a Ashes series in August and September.

I mean they must think we're pretty dumb. With the next English Ashes home series being moved to 2015 there will be 15 Tests between the two sides over the next two year. It's nothing more than a cash grab. Commercial greed at its finest.

Haven't we had series/events been scheduled in and then change closer to the date many times? Sure not a World Cup (but Champions Trophy and bilaterals have been changed so many times), but I think the state of ODI cricket right now means that there is no guarantee of anything.

I mean wasn't it not long ago that England and South Africa agreed to always play a 5 test series? And then like less than 2 years later that was thrown in the bid?
    An England vs South Africa series is no Ashes if we're being honest. As you can see above they have thrown everything around the room, they surely won't do it again. The World Cup and the Ashes is not something that you can keep moving around like it's the Champions Trophy.

The 2019 World Cup will take place as ODI still makes enough money. What will the boards do if ODI cricket is still around by 2019?

I am not up in arms about the back-to-back Ashes, but you make some good points.

Stick around Backlash. I like you. Just watch out for this **** named Spikey.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Pretty sure entire series have been flat-out cancelled recently.

Mind you, ODIs will stick around longer than people expect, until it stops being cricket's (read: the BCCI's) major revenue stream.
    I'd be amazed if the 2019 World Cup doesn't take place. ODI's will die when the public stop caring, not when a few journalist's stop.

I am not up in arms about the back-to-back Ashes
    You should be if you're an Australia fan. They have set the national team up to potentially fail massively for money. They have allowed the system to become broke and flawed. Which means we can't produce enough players of high quality to put together a quality team, and since Cricket Australia agreed to the back to back Ashes they have put us into a position were we could not just lose one but two Ashes series within 6 months. They do not have the best interest of our national team at heart.

Add to that what was moved because it was meant to be an disadvantage for England having to play an Ashes series and World Cup back to back in 2014/15 has now turned into the same disadvantage for Australia in 2019. Cricket Australia let that happen so they could make a quick buck. I mean how am I meant to stay a passionate supporter when the people who are meant to govern my team and have the team's best interest don't care?

I emailed Cricket Australia about my concerns but of course they couldn't be bothered to reply. I am treated with discontent but they no doubt expect me to show up this summer and pay the ridiculous ticket prices they will no doubt charge to watch the inferior product they have put on the field. It's no wonder people are being put off the game.

Stick around Backlash.
    I'd love to stick around but I'm just not sure anymore. I'm falling more and more out of love with the game sadly. The game is just a mess right now. It's at an all time low in my county. There are too many forms of the game. Pretty much all the boards around the world main focus is 20/20. Some of the poaching that is also happening is putting me off the sport too. Cricket was my number one passion as a kid but it's a real struggle to keep going these days.

ca is a joke, but cricketlove is not a choice
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    It makes complete business sense to separate the Ashes from the ODI World Cup if they are going to take place in the same country mere months apart.
    It makes sporting sense as well.
    ​63*

I thought the whole move of the Ashes was a push from England, who were always stuffed having been on tour in Australia for the Ashes, having basically no time off and then going straight into a World Cup. End up spending the best part of six months away, and doesn't give them the best preparation possible for a WC.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    I thought the whole move of the Ashes was a push from England, who were always stuffed having been on tour in Australia for the Ashes, having basically no time off and then going straight into a World Cup. End up spending the best part of six months away, and doesn't give them the best preparation possible for a WC.
    Indeed.

Having a few of our players (James Anderson in particular) physically and/or mentally shot did us no favours in the World Cup.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information