• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Second thread - Crowds for the Ashes in Australia

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Whatever way you look at it, as much as I love cricket and the Ashes is my highlight......this back to back series bollocks is a crap idea of massive proportions. The boards look at it as a cash cow and think the fans have bottomless pockets.
No they're not, they're moving the series to stop them clashing with World Cups.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
No they're not, they're moving the series to stop them clashing with World Cups.
I know they moved the Aus series forward a year to avoid clashing with the world cup........something that has never been a problem in the past btw.

But if this was a real concern why not move the series back a year instead?? Would avoid over-saturation of this premier event.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I guess the people in charge felt that "seeing Australia take out revenge on England" or "see the triumphant Ashes winners now at home" was an easier sell compared to another series against a Pakistan or West Indies or whoever else.

I'm genuinely excited about seeing some of the batsman vs bowler duels that will emerge across the 10 Tests.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Didn't Richie Benaud crack the ****s about the back-to-back Ashes? Or am I imagining that?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I know they moved the Aus series forward a year to avoid clashing with the world cup........something that has never been a problem in the past btw.
What do you mean? As in it wasn't a problem when Australia last hosted the World Cup?

Backlash

School Boy/Girl Captain
This would actually make sense if it wasn't for the fact that as of right now the 2019 World Cup will take place in England just before the Ashes that year. Yeah, they're doing it to stop clashing the Ashes with the World Cup. 8-)

The back to back Ashes is nothing more than a cash grab while the Ashes/Test Cricket still has value. ECB need the money for their struggling County Cricket and to keep the sport relevant, Cricket Australia never turn down money. As if having two Ashes series within 6 months isn’t bad enough but to then have the next series as soon as 2015 is beyond a joke.

As for this thread, I for one won't be going to any matches this summer no matter what happens in England, and I'll be telling others to do the same. Cricket Australia are a disgrace and don’t deserve my money anymore. They don’t have the best interests of the national team at heart. Crowds will drop in the future as people are being put off the game by Cricket Australia.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
well CA are what we are stuck with, and to be honest I love cricket way too much to be taking that kind of action against the board.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
What do you mean? As in it wasn't a problem when Australia last hosted the World Cup?
No, just as in having the Ashes in the same year as the world cup.

The ODI World Cup has followed the Australian Ashes series for the last 6 tournaments. I can't see what the issue is in the fact that the next WC happens to be in Aus.

Anyway, all the whinging in the world isn't going to change anything, it's happening so lets hope it works out and the series are competitive and well followed.

Still think that the casual watchers (of which there are plenty) will lose interest over 10 tests especially if the series are one sided.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The ODI World Cup has followed the Australian Ashes series for the last 6 tournaments. I can't see what the issue is in the fact that the next WC happens to be in Aus.
That's naive to say the least.

The fact is not everyone is a cricket fanatic. People have a set amount of cricket they will attend in a summer. People are far far far less likely to attend the ODI World Cup matches if they have loaded up on the Ashes only a few months earlier.

It makes complete business sense to separate the Ashes from the ODI World Cup if they are going to take place in the same country mere months apart.

Your point that they should have pushed it back rather than brought it forward may be fair enough, but the argument against moving it at all completely ignores the marketing reality of the world.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
This would actually make sense if it wasn't for the fact that as of right now the 2019 World Cup will take place in England just before the Ashes that year. Yeah, they're doing it to stop clashing the Ashes with the World Cup. 8-)
Haha we're not even guaranteed that the ODI game will exist in 2019. Steady on.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Fair comment and what you say is very true.

But they are still expecting Eng and Aus supporters to dig into their pockets and fork out for the 2 most expensive tours in the cricket calendar within weeks of each other.

Backlash

School Boy/Girl Captain
well CA are what we are stuck with, and to be honest I love cricket way too much to be taking that kind of action against the board.
And that's why we're stuck with them, because too many people are not willing to do something about them. Cricket Australia is a poison to Cricket and they have to be stopped.

Haha we're not even guaranteed that the ODI game will exist in 2019. Steady on.
Steady on? Are you serious? They've both been scheduled in. Did the boards just throw them in together and figured they'd sort it out when the time came? The 2019 World Cup will take place, which makes a mockery of moving the 2014/15 Ashes a year early, and if ODI is dead by 2019 then Test Cricket won't be far after that.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Steady on? Are you serious? They've both been scheduled in. Did the boards just throw them in together and figured they'd sort it out when the time came? The 2019 World Cup will take place, which makes a mockery of moving the 2014/15 Ashes a year early, and if ODI is dead by 2019 then Test Cricket won't be far after that.
Haven't we had series/events been scheduled in and then change closer to the date many times? Sure not a World Cup (but Champions Trophy and bilaterals have been changed so many times), but I think the state of ODI cricket right now means that there is no guarantee of anything.

I mean wasn't it not long ago that England and South Africa agreed to always play a 5 test series? And then like less than 2 years later that was thrown in the bid?

Spark

Global Moderator
Pretty sure entire series have been flat-out cancelled recently.

Mind you, ODIs will stick around longer than people expect, until it stops being cricket's (read: the BCCI's) major revenue stream.

Backlash

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'm struggling to see how the 2019 World Cup makes a mockery of anything but ok then
They moved the 2014/15 Ashes a year early because they said they wanted to de-link the Ashes with the World Cup. They then moved the 2017 Ashes to 2015 and said they wanted to start the 4 year cycle from that point. Which means in the 2019 English summer Australia will play the World Cup in June & July and then play a Ashes series in August and September.

I mean they must think we're pretty dumb. With the next English Ashes home series being moved to 2015 there will be 15 Tests between the two sides over the next two year. It's nothing more than a cash grab. Commercial greed at its finest.

Haven't we had series/events been scheduled in and then change closer to the date many times? Sure not a World Cup (but Champions Trophy and bilaterals have been changed so many times), but I think the state of ODI cricket right now means that there is no guarantee of anything.

I mean wasn't it not long ago that England and South Africa agreed to always play a 5 test series? And then like less than 2 years later that was thrown in the bid?
An England vs South Africa series is no Ashes if we're being honest. As you can see above they have thrown everything around the room, they surely won't do it again. The World Cup and the Ashes is not something that you can keep moving around like it's the Champions Trophy.

The 2019 World Cup will take place as ODI still makes enough money. What will the boards do if ODI cricket is still around by 2019? 8-)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I am not up in arms about the back-to-back Ashes, but you make some good points.

Stick around Backlash. I like you. Just watch out for this **** named Spikey.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Pretty sure entire series have been flat-out cancelled recently.

Mind you, ODIs will stick around longer than people expect, until it stops being cricket's (read: the BCCI's) major revenue stream.
I'd be amazed if the 2019 World Cup doesn't take place. ODI's will die when the public stop caring, not when a few journalist's stop.