Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Second thread - Crowds for the Ashes in Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    Crowds will turn up no matter what the result in England........and then if the Aussies aren't going so well they'll head back home quick smart just like they did in 2010/11.

December 26th 2010 - 90+K in the MCG for the start of play, about 15K left at tea.
    Natural attrition at Boxing Day anyway; usually only about 25,000 left in the stands for the last session, everyone's in the bars.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Natural attrition at Boxing Day anyway; usually only about 25,000 left in the stands for the last session, everyone's in the bars.
    They weren't in the bars after tea in 2010 mate I can assure you, fastest I've ever managed to get a beer at the G.

International 12th Man
    England being favourites should increase the attractiveness of the early tests to the travelling support...

Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    England being favourites should increase the attractiveness of the early tests to the travelling support...
    I think having the homes Ashes just before though might mean No's of travelling England fans will be down. Costs a fortune to watch cricket in England, how many will be able to afford to do that and travel to Oz??? These people aren't made of money.

Just depends, most of the seasoned travellers will probably miss the home series so they can come down under, but I'm sure there will be plenty who may have normally travelled that will just watch the home series instead.

Whatever way you look at it, as much as I love cricket and the Ashes is my highlight......this back to back series bollocks is a crap idea of massive proportions. The boards look at it as a cash cow and think the fans have bottomless pockets.

Only the die hards like us will still be interested at the end of 10 tests, the casual watchers will be well sick of it by then.
    Last edited by Adders; 12-05-2013 at 02:42 AM.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    I think having the homes Ashes just before though might mean No's of travelling England fans will be down. Costs a fortune to watch cricket in England, how many will be able to afford to do that and travel to Oz??? These people aren't made of money.

Just depends, most of the seasoned travellers will probably miss the home series so they can come down under, but I'm sure there will be plenty who may have normally travelled that will just watch the home series instead.

Whatever way you look at it, as much as I love cricket and the Ashes is my highlight......this back to back series bollocks is a crap idea of massive proportions. The boards look at it as a cash cow and think the fans have bottomless pockets.

Only the die hards like us will still be interested at the end of 10 tests, the casual watchers will be well sick of it by then.
    The Aussies will be sick of it by lunch on day one of the series over here tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    No they're not, they're moving the series to stop them clashing with World Cups.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    No they're not, they're moving the series to stop them clashing with World Cups.
    I know they moved the Aus series forward a year to avoid clashing with the world cup........something that has never been a problem in the past btw.

But if this was a real concern why not move the series back a year instead?? Would avoid over-saturation of this premier event.

I guess the people in charge felt that "seeing Australia take out revenge on England" or "see the triumphant Ashes winners now at home" was an easier sell compared to another series against a Pakistan or West Indies or whoever else.

I'm genuinely excited about seeing some of the batsman vs bowler duels that will emerge across the 10 Tests.
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

Didn't Richie Benaud crack the ****s about the back-to-back Ashes? Or am I imagining that?

I know they moved the Aus series forward a year to avoid clashing with the world cup........something that has never been a problem in the past btw.
    What do you mean? As in it wasn't a problem when Australia last hosted the World Cup?

School Boy/Girl Captain Backlash's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    This would actually make sense if it wasn't for the fact that as of right now the 2019 World Cup will take place in England just before the Ashes that year. Yeah, they're doing it to stop clashing the Ashes with the World Cup.

The back to back Ashes is nothing more than a cash grab while the Ashes/Test Cricket still has value. ECB need the money for their struggling County Cricket and to keep the sport relevant, Cricket Australia never turn down money. As if having two Ashes series within 6 months isnít bad enough but to then have the next series as soon as 2015 is beyond a joke.

As for this thread, I for one won't be going to any matches this summer no matter what happens in England, and I'll be telling others to do the same. Cricket Australia are a disgrace and donít deserve my money anymore. They donít have the best interests of the national team at heart. Crowds will drop in the future as people are being put off the game by Cricket Australia.

I guess one might say that Cricket Australia is facing a backlash from the fans.

well CA are what we are stuck with, and to be honest I love cricket way too much to be taking that kind of action against the board.
    There are two colours in my head

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    What do you mean? As in it wasn't a problem when Australia last hosted the World Cup?
    No, just as in having the Ashes in the same year as the world cup.

The ODI World Cup has followed the Australian Ashes series for the last 6 tournaments. I can't see what the issue is in the fact that the next WC happens to be in Aus.

Anyway, all the whinging in the world isn't going to change anything, it's happening so lets hope it works out and the series are competitive and well followed.

Still think that the casual watchers (of which there are plenty) will lose interest over 10 tests especially if the series are one sided.

The ODI World Cup has followed the Australian Ashes series for the last 6 tournaments. I can't see what the issue is in the fact that the next WC happens to be in Aus.
    That's naive to say the least.

The fact is not everyone is a cricket fanatic. People have a set amount of cricket they will attend in a summer. People are far far far less likely to attend the ODI World Cup matches if they have loaded up on the Ashes only a few months earlier.

It makes complete business sense to separate the Ashes from the ODI World Cup if they are going to take place in the same country mere months apart.

Your point that they should have pushed it back rather than brought it forward may be fair enough, but the argument against moving it at all completely ignores the marketing reality of the world.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information