• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Prediction- who will do what in the Ashes?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Bailey guns it and Alan J's other prediction comes off, Australia probably wins.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Tasmania have produced some absolute legends in Boon and Ponting let alone those who were kept out of the test side like Cox etc. Bailey may become a great but I'm reluctant as yet to think he may grow to that tag. That's interesting though, I certainly hope he does prove himself worthy

Furball

Evil Scotsman
People (including me) said the same about Broad 5/6 years ago.

Fact is, Finn does have the knack of taking wickets. Which is always handy for a bowler IMHO
He used to. He's lost that knack whilst retaining his knack of bowling absolute dross, which is never good.

Daemon

Starc is Johnson lite imo. Both left arm quicks and named Mitchell. He's inconsistent, not as bad as Johnson when they're both bad, but he's not as good as Johnson at his best either. Both are top one day bowlers too and more than handy batsmen.

Don't think they have similar actions though, not sure why people like to bring that up when comparing the two.

Spark

Global Moderator
He used to. He's lost that knack whilst retaining his knack of bowling absolute dross, which is never good.
Came mighty close to single-handedly losing you a Test, too, and a rather consequential one at that...

Still young, will probably improve, but England can do better right now.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Came mighty close to single-handedly losing you a Test, too, and a rather consequential one at that...

He showed that knack in the same Test though. Took a couple of key wickets.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain

Probably only marginally better. Tremlett won't give the runs away but is liable to break down and won't take many/any wickets. Rankin is much more hostile than Finn but doesn't take conventional bowlers wickets- He isn't going to take lots of bowled/lbw or caught behind. Also is injury prone.

I for one am still optimistic about Finn. He is 24, bowls decent pace from a decent height and has 90 wickets @ <30 bowling averagely in test cricket. That is pretty incredible given how average and even poor he has been. Stats by no mean tell the whole truth but he has a lot going for him.

In an ideal scenario (maybe if England had Australia's bowling depth) he would be left for while to work on his bowling action and how he wants to bowl rather than taken on this tour. But the truth is England have 2 good fast bowlers then the rest are average to untested so Finn had to go on the tour- and may even play the first test.

Woodster

International Captain
Steve Finn has a fantastic record when compared to how he has actually bowled for a decent percentage of the time. Even during the last Ashes series in Oz where he was dropped despite leading the wickets taken chart, he generally bowled far too many loose deliveries and was cut and pulled on a regular basis. As it was, England were not willing to allow him to act as a strike bowler and risk an expensive economy rate for the benefit of taking wickets. This didn't fit with the bowling unit plans and I'd imagine the thinking of containing and building pressure may well be at the forefront of their minds again which I would have thought puts Tremlett at the front of the queue. His awkwardness and control albeit at a lesser pace may be what they have in mind for Brisbane.

I think he has improved already since coming onto the Test scene, but there is still ample work to do. His fuller spells have to have more spite for the pace he bowls, and I'm sure his control will improve. It is very encouraging that he has taken 90 Test wickets at less than 30 and I'm sure he will play a part at some point during this series.

As Tremlett has been selected in the squad, England must be happy enough with his fitness, so I don't think they can leave him out in case he breaks down again. If these were genuine concerns he should never have toured in the first place, same with Rankin.

mintykip

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Tremlett looked quite tame when I went and watched him in Perth the other week, Finn and Rankin bowled poo that day too but they did look more threatening. But I guess I'm just reiterating what the previous two posts said.

Burgey

Steve Finn has a fantastic record when compared to how he has actually bowled for a decent percentage of the time. Even during the last Ashes series in Oz where he was dropped despite leading the wickets taken chart, he generally bowled far too many loose deliveries and was cut and pulled on a regular basis. As it was, England were not willing to allow him to act as a strike bowler and risk an expensive economy rate for the benefit of taking wickets. This didn't fit with the bowling unit plans and I'd imagine the thinking of containing and building pressure may well be at the forefront of their minds again which I would have thought puts Tremlett at the front of the queue. His awkwardness and control albeit at a lesser pace may be what they have in mind for Brisbane.

I think he has improved already since coming onto the Test scene, but there is still ample work to do. His fuller spells have to have more spite for the pace he bowls, and I'm sure his control will improve. It is very encouraging that he has taken 90 Test wickets at less than 30 and I'm sure he will play a part at some point during this series.

As Tremlett has been selected in the squad, England must be happy enough with his fitness, so I don't think they can leave him out in case he breaks down again. If these were genuine concerns he should never have toured in the first place, same with Rankin.
Finn sounds like early Johnson

Spikey

Ashes and a summer of cricket: experts agree a scorcher lies ahead

1. Who will win the Ashes and what will be the score?

Damien Fleming: I'm going to be optimistic and go for Australia. Hopefully with the extra bounce at the Gabba and the WACA we'll win those Tests. Ideally, it will be 2-1 going into the Boxing Day Test and that's where the Aussies will regain the Ashes for the first time in a long time.

Ian Healy: No idea, there will be no speculation from me. England will be very disappointed if they didn't win the Ashes and Australia are very capable of winning the Ashes.

Brendon Julian: I think we'll win this one, we're a bit more stabilised and settled than we were in England. It will be 2-1 Australia.
Advertisement

Stuart MacGill: I've always felt bowling wins Test matches and I'm concerned that, while Australia have tremendous depth which will come out this summer, we're in a bit of trouble. Kevin Pietersen is undoubtedly their best batsman, a superstar. Our bowlers are going to find it hard to defend small totals. Our top six is unsettled and could be susceptible to the swinging ball. A lot relies on Chris Rogers and Michael Clarke. I'm relieved Dave Warner is in such ridiculous form. We're a chance if we get a score on the board. I'd say 3-1 to England, being generous.
god this still makes me so angry

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
If anything it's the Australians who are putting him down. Some are even suggesting Hilfenhaus is a better bowler ffs.
It is rather interesting how far the Aussies are willing to underrate Johnson though. They're so mentally scarred by one bad series - well, really one absolutely dreadful test...even further one amazing batting partnership.

It's testament to the fact that they've been so good for so long.

In comparison, the English are prepared to completely overrate Stephen Finn, the WIndians Kemar Roach, NZers Doug Bracewell, the Indians Umesh Yadav...etc etc, despite the fact that Johnson has done far more in international cricket than any of these bowlers.
:cool:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah, unfortunately Johnson completely vindicated all the nice things I said about him before the series started.