• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Prediction- who will do what in the Ashes?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Such a meh player that he'd walk into your side and be your 2nd best bat and probably vice captain.
Yeah but I'm not blowing smoke up their arses like blokes are about Bell.

If it comes down to relying on Bell to win or save the series for England, I wouldn't back him with your dough mate.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Crikeys Burgey, 7 attempts and you still haven't managed a valid point.

A few facts about Ian Bell for ya.....

86 tests and an average of 46. That's a higher career average than Graham Gooch, David Gower, Mark Waugh and Justin Langer to name but a few. He's scored test tons against every test playing nation including a high score of 199 against a South African bowling attack of Steyn, Morkel and Nitini.

I point you to Newlands 2010 as an innings that shows he can deliver under pressure, I watched every ball of that knock and I can tell you that the 200 odd balls he faced was against some of the best bowling you'll see in this era............actually thinking of putting this one forward in the most underrated innings thread.

Oh and he just saved a series for England in the last test match he played.

The trouble with some of you Aussies is that when you think of Ian Bell you think of 2005 Ian Bell and the image has stuck............you've somehow managed to miss the following 8 years of his career.

He's no ATG by any means but he's a bloody decent batsmen and as said multiple times, head and shoulders above anything you've got to bring to the table right now bar Clarke.

Last edited:

Burgey

He's a dud. Wouldn't give you two bob for him.

If you have pics of Ian Bell on your wall (and you plainly do) then you worship mediocrity, which is why the English have 18 months of sporting success every 25 years and consider themselves a powerhouse.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Oh and he just saved a series for England in the last test match he played.
well, he came in once the ball had stopped swinging and was dropped twice as soon as the new ball was brought on.

He then fell with the job not done.

I would say that he helped, but Prior and Broad's innings were what really saved the test.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
He's a dud. Wouldn't give you two bob for him.

If you have pics of Ian Bell on your wall (and you plainly do) then you worship mediocrity, which is why the English have 18 months of sporting success every 25 years and consider themselves a powerhouse.
Any time you feel like posting something credible to back up your unfounded opinion do feel free.

So far all you've managed is "he's a dud" , "he's overrated", "not worth a squirt of piss"..........Just because you think he's **** does not make it so.

See Hendrix reply above, that's how you counter an argument you don't necessarily agree with...........insight, knowledge and facts. You haven't managed any of those in several attempts to get your (non) point across.

I'm new here but I think I've found my first muppet on CW.......happy days:laugh:

Burgey

When it's so self-evident that he crumbles like a Sao in a blender, I would have thought I ought not have to list the short comings.

I don't have to frame my posts on here to suit you. My views on Bell as a player are well known around these parts. If he plays some clutch digs with matches on the line then fine, and he will get my full credit for doing so, however begrudgingly. But my view is the chances of him doing so are poor. He is an elegant player but I think he's a bit of a downhill skier, to use a common phrase. i won't (and generally don't) pull out links to score cards or YouTube clips to demonstrate something like this, because it's not my way of doing things generally. I've watched him play for a number of years and I think he's gifted but fragile.

Last edited:

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
If Lyon grows the cojones to float it up I think he'll take 20-25 wickets.

Personally think Sherminator is also set up for a terrific series. Was well gypped in Australia when they kept batting him at 6.

Warner will get exposed badly by Anderson. Cowan will do very well if he's not dropped for Rogers. Clarke to lead the averages but Cowan to face the most deliveries. Can even envisage him carrying his bat if Australia get dismissed for 150-200.

Can see Monty coming into the series at some point, Swann will be severely underdone if he doesn't play between now and the first Test.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
:laugh:

Bell was perhaps the biggest beneficiary of McGrath and Warne retiring. Finally meant he could get a ton up against us.
:unsure:

Is there a batsmen playing the game that doesn't find the post McGrath/Warne Aussie attack an easier prospect?

Ruckus

International Captain
What's a downhill skier? The urbandictionary definition doesn't really seem to fit the context frankly