• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's line-up

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
As an Australian, I would much sooner see Tremlett or Finn in the starting XI than Onions.

Cunning bastard and swings it miles on his day. Decent at reverse too.

Spark

Global Moderator
Not really, I'm just amazed that no-one's noticed this.

It's not Anderson's MO to run through teams (unless he gets overhead conditions which allow him to bend the ball round corners), he's the closest thing England have got to a McGrath who bores batsmen out by bowling an immaculate line and length and moving the ball enough to worry the batsmen.
To an extent, but McGrath had serious weapons too - he was a step up in terms of accuracy, got serious bounce and seam movement and was an all-round "smarter" bowler at being able to work batsmen over. Anderson does his thing well but he's a spearhead, so he does have to be taking some poles.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well this thread can hardly compete with the 113 pages in the other thread where you Aussies are desperately trying to work out out who the **** you can try next.

Have you got the call from Invers yet Uvo????
Only 41 posts but boy when he posts he comes out swinging. uvelocity reeling on the ropes. Awesome stuff.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Anderson hasn't run through a side since Trent Bridge against Pakistan, nearly three years ago. He's still got a few decent hauls, but never ripped through a team in no time. Broad's much similar to the stereotype of old Anderson, in that he can be really average at times but he's awesome when he's in good rhythm and can rip through anyone.

I do see where theegyptian is coming from though. Anderson hasn't taken a five-fer for over a year, and his strike rate was 98.4 against South Africa last year, where he didn't appear to have the same zip he had against India the year before. That said, he was still able to ramp it up at Kolkata 2nd dig, so maybe he's just bowling within himself more often these days.
Every time I've seen Anderson in the past few years my impression has been "Wow, he's really got the ball on a string, but can he pitch it up just a touch?". He's turned himself into an unlucky bowler through his fear of being driven.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Only 41 posts but boy when he posts he comes out swinging. uvelocity reeling on the ropes. Awesome stuff.
Hahaha, don't worry about my 41 posts.......me and UvoSpud go way back.

He actually introduced me to this forum and I intend to see to it that he regrets doing so:laugh: Just wait till the first ball is bowled in anger.....it will be on like donkey kong!!

And I'm sure he wont be on the ropes for long......kids got some tasty moves of his own.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My "assuming form and fitness" XI:

Cook*
Compton
Trott
Pietersen
Bell
Root
Prior+
Broad
Swann
Tremlett
Anderson

If KP misses out I'd bring in Buttler. Yes, really. Been in the runs already and has both the game and the temperament for tests.

If Tremmers isn't fit, I'd bring back Bres (assuming his latest op has restored his powers to 10/11 levels).
That's a good side. If the Poms take the field with that XI I'd expect us to only win 4-0.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Every time I've seen Anderson in the past few years my impression has been "Wow, he's really got the ball on a string, but can he pitch it up just a touch?". He's turned himself into an unlucky bowler through his fear of being driven.
Yeah, I'm tempted to not mind that so much because, as I've said before in this thread, I think it's crucial no one is leaking runs in a 4 man attack. Conversely, he could probably pitch the ball a bit further up when it's swinging big. I mean, there's a reason Broad took so many more wickets than Anderson in this game, and it's not because Broad was bowling incredibly and Anderson was bowling poorly.