Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: England's line-up

yea addsy, he said it'd be a poor look for the series for an old overweight trundler to rip em a new one
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

My "assuming form and fitness" XI:

Cook*
    Compton
    Trott
    Pietersen
    Bell
    Root
    Prior+
    Broad
    Swann
    Tremlett
    Anderson

If KP misses out I'd bring in Buttler. Yes, really. Been in the runs already and has both the game and the temperament for tests.

If Tremmers isn't fit, I'd bring back Bres (assuming his latest op has restored his powers to 10/11 levels).
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Would be my side as well.

Root playing the innings he did yesterday is further encouragement that he is the real deal. Still have concerns over Compton I have to admit, but there is no way that dropping him would be at all justifiable at this stage.

Really need KP to be fit because Bairstow does not convince at all, if he does miss out then I would ideally like to see Stokes but he is just not making the runs. I am convinced (as I am every year) that this is going to be a breakthrough year for James Vince, am unashamedly biased but he could be a really special player, I would not go far enough to say he should actually be picked though. We need Pietersen to be fit basically.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theegyptian View Post
    Anderson bowls well but no longer takes lots of wickets. Maybe it's just sample size and he's been playing on slow wickets or maybe he's just lost a bit of his pace.
    Not really, I'm just amazed that no-one's noticed this.

It's not Anderson's MO to run through teams (unless he gets overhead conditions which allow him to bend the ball round corners), he's the closest thing England have got to a McGrath who bores batsmen out by bowling an immaculate line and length and moving the ball enough to worry the batsmen.
    ​63*

Anderson hasn't run through a side since Trent Bridge against Pakistan, nearly three years ago. He's still got a few decent hauls, but never ripped through a team in no time. Broad's much similar to the stereotype of old Anderson, in that he can be really average at times but he's awesome when he's in good rhythm and can rip through anyone.

I do see where theegyptian is coming from though. Anderson hasn't taken a five-fer for over a year, and his strike rate was 98.4 against South Africa last year, where he didn't appear to have the same zip he had against India the year before. That said, he was still able to ramp it up at Kolkata 2nd dig, so maybe he's just bowling within himself more often these days.

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    As an Australian, I would much sooner see Tremlett or Finn in the starting XI than Onions.

Cunning bastard and swings it miles on his day. Decent at reverse too.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

nah, the most dangerous bopara and meaker by miles

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Not really, I'm just amazed that no-one's noticed this.

It's not Anderson's MO to run through teams (unless he gets overhead conditions which allow him to bend the ball round corners), he's the closest thing England have got to a McGrath who bores batsmen out by bowling an immaculate line and length and moving the ball enough to worry the batsmen.
    To an extent, but McGrath had serious weapons too - he was a step up in terms of accuracy, got serious bounce and seam movement and was an all-round "smarter" bowler at being able to work batsmen over. Anderson does his thing well but he's a spearhead, so he does have to be taking some poles.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

forever 63*

Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    nah, the most dangerous bopara and meaker by miles
    Crafty.
    "Your averages, captain, coaches and players can probably survive incompetence over a relatively short series, so if youíre going to be rubbish, make sure itís against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand or someone."

Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    Well this thread can hardly compete with the 113 pages in the other thread where you Aussies are desperately trying to work out out who the **** you can try next.

Have you got the call from Invers yet Uvo????
    Only 41 posts but boy when he posts he comes out swinging. uvelocity reeling on the ropes. Awesome stuff.

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    Anderson hasn't run through a side since Trent Bridge against Pakistan, nearly three years ago. He's still got a few decent hauls, but never ripped through a team in no time. Broad's much similar to the stereotype of old Anderson, in that he can be really average at times but he's awesome when he's in good rhythm and can rip through anyone.

I do see where theegyptian is coming from though. Anderson hasn't taken a five-fer for over a year, and his strike rate was 98.4 against South Africa last year, where he didn't appear to have the same zip he had against India the year before. That said, he was still able to ramp it up at Kolkata 2nd dig, so maybe he's just bowling within himself more often these days.
    Every time I've seen Anderson in the past few years my impression has been "Wow, he's really got the ball on a string, but can he pitch it up just a touch?". He's turned himself into an unlucky bowler through his fear of being driven.
    Exit pursuing a beer

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Only 41 posts but boy when he posts he comes out swinging. uvelocity reeling on the ropes. Awesome stuff.
    Hahaha, don't worry about my 41 posts.......me and UvoSpud go way back.

He actually introduced me to this forum and I intend to see to it that he regrets doing so Just wait till the first ball is bowled in anger.....it will be on like donkey kong!!

And I'm sure he wont be on the ropes for long......kids got some tasty moves of his own.

UvoSpud

Gold.

get a room flogs

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    My "assuming form and fitness" XI:

Cook*
    Compton
    Trott
    Pietersen
    Bell
    Root
    Prior+
    Broad
    Swann
    Tremlett
    Anderson

If KP misses out I'd bring in Buttler. Yes, really. Been in the runs already and has both the game and the temperament for tests.

If Tremmers isn't fit, I'd bring back Bres (assuming his latest op has restored his powers to 10/11 levels).
    That's a good side. If the Poms take the field with that XI I'd expect us to only win 4-0.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information