• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time Ashes XIs

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
There has to be one better than the one Cricinfo put out surely.

Anyway whats everyone's all time Ashes XIs judging on records in Ashes series.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Lets pick Ramprakash just because it's basically the only complementary nomination for an eleven like this he'll ever get even though he realistically shouldn't be within four elevens of this one either.

Ramps, WAG. Pretty sure he averaged low 40s against Australia. What an enigma.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Jack Hobbs
Matthew Hayden (lul)
Don Bradman
Ponting
S.Waugh
Beefy
Warne
Gilchrist
McGrath
Lillee
Trueman

Sincerely hoping that wasn't the suggested batting order too quite frankly after Beefy.

But Hayden, really its not like where short of quality openers to pick from and as good as Punter is/was his Ashes record isn't as flash as I thought.

pskov

International 12th Man
These sides are picked not only on the criteria that each player had to have an excellent record in Ashes contests, but just as importantly that their Ashes only record had to be superior to their overall career record. So these are basically the guys that stepped it up for the urn.

Suttcliffe*
Edrich
Trott
Barrington
Pietersen
Rhodes
Parks+
Laker
Headley
Snow
Voce

Interestingly, Botham's Ashes record is much of a muchness compared to his career record (his bowling is marginally better, his batting marginally worse). Dean Headley took 35 wickets in 6 Ashes tests for less than 25 runs apiece, it's a shame that back injuries did him in so early.

And the Australian equivalent

Barnes
Stackpole
Waugh, M
Border*
Waugh, S
Hussey
Haddin+
Warne
Lillee
Hogg
McGrath

Gilchrist's Ashes record is below his career average, whereas Haddin actually averages more (nearly 50) against England than Gilly did. The otherwise unassuming Rodney Hogg took 56 wickets at 17 playing in eleven Ashes tests in the late 70s and early 80s.

I guess a combined team would be the Australian XI, with Suttcliffe, Barrington and Laker coming in for Stackpole, Mark Waugh and Hogg/Lillee (depending on how much you want to base it solely on Ashes performance stats).

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
In fairness a lot of 1930s era guys would have inferior career records against England just because of how dire their other opposition was.

1. Jack Hobbs
2. Len Hutton
3. Donald Bradman *
4. Charlie Macartney
5. Walter Hammond
6. Adam Gilchrist +
7. Keith Miller
8. Hedley Verity
9. Harold Larwood
10. Shane Warne
11. Dennis Lillee
(12th Ian Botham)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England

Hobbs
Hutton
Hammond
Compton, D
Gower
Botham
Knott
Larwood
Bedser
Verity/ Underwood
Trueman

More an XI I'd probably like to watch than necessarily the absolute best they could muster (arguments over Bedser and Gower in particular I think)

Australia

Trumper/ Simpson
Taylor/ Lawry
Bradman
G Chappell
Border
Miller
Gilchrist
Davo
Warne
Lillee
McGrath

I actually defy any XI from another nation to bother taking the field against that side.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
England

Hobbs
Hutton
Hammond
Compton, D
Gower
Botham
Knott
Larwood
Bedser
Verity/ Underwood
Trueman

More an XI I'd probably like to watch than necessarily the absolute best they could muster (arguments over Bedser and Gower in particular I think)

Australia

Trumper/ Simpson
Taylor/ Lawry
Bradman
G Chappell
Border
Miller
Gilchrist
Davo
Warne
Lillee
McGrath

I actually defy any XI from another nation to bother taking the field against that side.

Yes, the Aus side isn't bad, is it. I suspect that WI could come up with worthy opponents, even if my money would be on your boys. I didn't expect to see Taylor though.

As for England, pleased to see that someone's heard of Gower. Was Compton's record against Aus all that? I'll take your word for it, but I'd be tempted to pick May at number 4. Snow might be unlucky to miss out, even if it's due to FST. Bedser's presence perhaps depends on whether they're playing on uncovered wickets.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Against as strong an Australian side as that I think Jardine would be essential, and probably Sutcliffe as well

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, for sure. I'd guess without checking DRJ's Ashes batting average is probably lower than his overall figure of 48, but he'd be my England captain every single time.

Rather sad that from Burgey's Blighty XI only 3.5 are still with us. :(

Actually Heaven vs Earth XIs might be quite fun to see.

burr

State Vice-Captain
England

Australia

Trumper/ Simpson
Taylor/ Lawry
Bradman
G Chappell
Border
Miller
Gilchrist
Davo
Warne
Lillee
McGrath

wow.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Jack Hobbs
Matthew Hayden (lul)
Don Bradman
Ponting
S.Waugh
Beefy
Warne
Gilchrist
McGrath
Lillee
Trueman

Sincerely hoping that wasn't the suggested batting order too quite frankly after Beefy.

But Hayden, really its not like where short of quality openers to pick from and as good as Punter is/was his Ashes record isn't as flash as I thought.
ha. warney above gilchrist. he'd love that.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Australia

Trumper/ Simpson
Taylor/ Lawry
Bradman
G Chappell
Border
Miller
Gilchrist
Davo
Warne
Lillee
McGrath

What was their record like in India?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Top 6 runscorers, most dismissals and top 4 wicket takers leaves the sides looking as follows:

England:

1. JB Hobbs (3,636 runs @ 54.26, 12 100s, 15 50s)
2. DI Gower (3,037 runs @ 46.01, 9 100s, 11 50s)
3. WR Hammond (2,852 runs @ 51.85, 9 100s, 7 50s)
4. H Sutcliffe (2,741 runs @ 66.85, 8 100s, 16 50s)
5. JH Edrich (2,644 runs @ 48.96, 7 100s, 13 50s)
6. G Boycott (2,579 runs @ 46.05, 6 100s, 12 50s)
7. APE Knott (93 catches, 8 stumpings)
8. IT Botham (128 wickets @ 28.04, 7 5w, 1 10w)
9. RGD Willis (123 wickets @ 24.37, 7 5w)
10. W Rhodes (109 wickets @ 24.00, 6 5w, 1 10w)
11. SF Barnes (106 wickets @ 21.58, 12 5w, 1 10w)

Australia:

1. DG Bradman (5,028 runs @ 89.78, 19 100s, 12 50s)
2. AR Border (3,222 runs @ 55.55, 7 100s, 19 50s)
3. SR Waugh (3,173 runs @ 58.75, 10 100s, 14 50s)
4. C Hill (2,660 runs @ 35.46, 4 100s, 16 50s)
5. MA Taylor (2,496 runs @ 42.30, 6 100s, 15 50s)
6. RT Ponting (2,476 runs @ 44.21, 8 100s, 9 50s)
7. IA Healy (123 catches, 12 stumpings)
8. SK Warne (195 wickets @ 23.25, 11 5w, 4 10w)
9. GD McGrath (157 wickets @ 20.92, 10 5w)
10. H Trumble (141 wickets @ 20.88, 9 5w, 3 10w)
11. DK Lillee (128 wickets @ 22.32, 7 5w, 2 10w)

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'm actually at a loss as to how Burgey's picked an Australian Ashes XI without Steve Waugh.