• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First thread - Who will be the top run scorer and wicket taker?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
lyon n warner
Which way round...?

Pretty sold on Clarke for reasons mentioned earlier. Worried about Jimmy lasting the series having seen him distinctly sub-par in Kiwiland, Broad and Finn won't hold it together over five tests, and Swann has question marks over fitness too. Saying that, it's not like an Aussie will play all five, so Swanny's my shout.

Valer

First Class Debutant
Ryan Harris. I could totally see him playing 5 tests in a row...

Trott for the runs.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Ryan Harris.
In fairness, he was bowling fine before the freak stress fracture in Melbourne 2010-11 - and had taken a 6-fer in the previous innings in Perth, no less - it's fair to say that if he's worked on his durability enough to hold up for a whole Shield season in all formats, then he could play through five admittedly more intense Tests after an extended rest.

At this stage (were I the Illuminati cricketing selector) it would be Siddle, Harris, Pattinson and Lyon. Bird first cab off the rank, Hilf second. SOK the logical but unlikely backup tweaker.

After this diatribe, a quick question - is Cummins fully fit? Any chance of him getting a gig in the preceding ODIs or Twenty20s? Would be nice to gauge his progress if nothing else.

Valer

First Class Debutant
In fairness, he was bowling fine before the freak stress fracture in Melbourne 2010-11 - and had taken a 6-fer in the previous innings in Perth, no less - it's fair to say that if he's worked on his durability enough to hold up for a whole Shield season in all formats, then he could play through five admittedly more intense Tests after an extended rest.

At this stage (were I the Illuminati cricketing selector) it would be Siddle, Harris, Pattinson and Lyon. Bird first cab off the rank, Hilf second. SOK the logical but unlikely backup tweaker.

After this diatribe, a quick question - is Cummins fully fit? Any chance of him getting a gig in the preceding ODIs or Twenty20s? Would be nice to gauge his progress if nothing else.
To be honest unless he stay fit I'm very pessimistic about the ashes. I think / hope he'll play most /all of it.

I'd consider bird for Siddle order swap ( I really don't rate siddle still) but that really wouldn't mesh with current policy & be somewhat injury prone. Pretty much agree otherwise...

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Anderson if only because he's likelier than the Aus boys to play in all 5 tests. Swann's main problem is that I don't see him bowling on many Day 4 or 5 pitches in this series.

As for the batting, it's hard to look beyond Clarke. Cook would be a better bet in the return series. Maybe KP as England's top scorer.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Matt Prior to score the most runs and Swanny to take the wickets - provided his elbow causes him no grief in the lead-up or the series itself.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Clarke will score the most runs, and Anderson will take the most wickets, since we'll have about 8 bowlers throughout the series.