View Poll Results: Who will you be supporting this Ashes?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • England

14 26.92%
  • Australia

29 55.77%
  • Neutral/indifferent

9 17.31%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Who will you support in the upcoming Ashes and why?

International Vice-Captain Contra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Interesting definition of quality there.

If the pitches are turners then I don't see that it'll be any easier, in fact it may even be trickier. If they're not turners (which is likely) then they'll suddenly have to face quality seam bowlers on helpful pitches.
    Well, the point was more that they did end up getting practice out of the 4 tests (even if they ended up losing all 4) so you would think they would do better in England, regardless of whether the pitches are helpful for spinners or not. And I was referring specifically about spinners, I have no doubt the English seam bowlers will be a handful in their own conditions.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I've voted already; pussied out.
    I feel cheated - I wanted a paragraph long explanation of your split loyalties along with a maudlin description of your attachment to England!

Get on that.

(just pulling your leg)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    I love how since PEWS got all paranoid Hurricane was stalking him Hurricane refers to him anyway and leaves little disclaimers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I feel cheated - I wanted a paragraph long explanation of your split loyalties along with a maudlin description of your attachment to England!

Get on that.
    Well! Ever since I wa...

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    (just pulling your leg)
    Oh.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPrez View Post
    Probably the poms because I'm a Saffa so by default am bred to hate the Aussies (we're bred to hate the poms too but not as much).

Then again the aussies beating the poms would probably do SA a favour in terms of holding their position atop the Test rankings. Still.
    Remember living in SA during the 05 Ashes and when people in the street, shop etc spoke in Afrikaans and I had to reply in English they always shook my hand, wished me luck (as if I was playing) and were so excited for a potential England victory. The support wasn't just from the soutpiels but the Dutchmen as well and the entire country seemed to be behind England.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

I generally support Australia in these types of things.

I had a period when I was supporting England because it was great to see how professional their bowling attack was. They seem to have regressed from there where it's no longer enjoyable; I used to be able to watch them meticulously bowl to a plan, whether with swing, reverse or just plain line and length and watch as Australia's batsmen eventually and inevitably succumbed.

That won't be so much fun when Aus's batsmen are no longer as powerful. Moreover, it will be quite interesting to see how the young Aussie quicks go.

So yeah, Australia.

But I don't really care.

Quote Originally Posted by Гурин View Post

(To all the English fans, it's not about you. It's about your media. Stop buying that dung for the love of God! Do it as a favour to us all. After all, we [Romans] civilized you. Yes yes, you gave us all these nice sports since, which is good. But now complete the opera and burn down all the suns and daily things. You have no idea how grateful all of us will be)
    Ever considered not reading the **** and just ignoring it like every other person of sound mind does and that goes for Englishman as well.

Been quite an interesting read for me this thread, being new here and seeing what the populous thinks and how the neutrals feel about this series. I discuss cricket on 2 other forums, the Barmy Army forum and another which has a heavy Aussie bias (no, not the fanatics)......so this thread is the first time I've seen for want of a better word a more objective view on the two sides.

Just surprises me that some people are barracking against England for the sole reason of our press being dogs

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Well! Ever since I wa...

Oh.
    Haha

Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Remember living in SA during the 05 Ashes and when people in the street, shop etc spoke in Afrikaans and I had to reply in English they always shook my hand, wished me luck (as if I was playing) and were so excited for a potential England victory. The support wasn't just from the soutpiels but the Dutchmen as well and the entire country seemed to be behind England.
    Yeah, that'd mostly be the extreme hatrid of Aussies tbh. If England were playing New Zealand, for instance, I reckon New Zealand would get heaps more support.

South Africans have a rivalry with England; South Africans hate Australians.

I find it quite funny though given that so many end up emigrating there anyway. I wouldn't, I'd emigrate to New Zealand, but plenty would and do choose Australia.

Anyway, am I the only one who doesn't feel quite the excitement for the ashes as compared to usual? It just feels like ever since the Aussies became weak, the series doesn't hold the same sort of esteem to me than it used to.
    @CowsCorner - 202 followers and counting!

Disclaimer: I am a biased South African. Anything I say is likely to have something in it that ultimately favours the Proteas.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Yeah, that'd mostly be the extreme hatrid of Aussies tbh. If England were playing New Zealand, for instance, I reckon New Zealand would get heaps more support.

I find it quite funny though given that so many end up emigrating there anyway. I wouldn't, I'd emigrate to New Zealand, but plenty would and do choose Australia.

Anyway, am I the only one who doesn't feel quite the excitement for the ashes as compared to usual? It just feels like ever since the Aussies became weak, the series doesn't hold the same sort of esteem to me than it used to.
    Hey you obviously missed the 90's then when Australia were strong and we were weak as piss. That was a complete mismatch in comparison to what we have this year even if Australia look poor.

jesus h
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Hey you obviously missed the 90's then when Australia were strong and we were weak as piss. That was a complete mismatch in comparison to what we have this year even if Australia look poor.
    Yeah I'm a 1995 child

I've just always grown up with a dominant Australia, and an England team that despite being inferior, always made you believe they could upset the big boy. Now it just seems like a frail old Australian grandmother waving her walking stick at a slightly pudgy 14 year old who has developed a lot of "stuff" recently but doesn't quite know how to control it all.

Yeah I'm a 1995 child
    Holy **** you're a baby

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Holy **** you're a baby
    Please don't say that about 1995 children.

Care to elaborate? (face)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information