View Poll Results: Who will you be supporting this Ashes?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • England

14 26.92%
  • Australia

29 55.77%
  • Neutral/indifferent

9 17.31%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who will you support in the upcoming Ashes and why?

International Vice-Captain Contra's Avatar
    Most Indian supporters would probably say Australia, including me. Mostly because England beat us at home and we're even with the Aussies after the recent series win, so I'd rather watch the Aussies beat England. But part of me genuinely wants Australia to do well cuz I feel bad for Clarke and the kind of batsmen his team contains.

Definitely be supporting Australia, but if Aust were to go up 2-0 or something I'd be cheering on England for a good series. But overall, yeah Australia.

Most of all I want Ed Cowan to dominate though. I will be barracking him on so so much.

If there is any Australian player I want to do well it is Cowan. Like Lyon as well but can't be having him doing better than Swann.

International Vice-Captain Contra's Avatar
    It'll actually be interesting to see the Aussies vs Spin in England, you would think they would do a lot better after basically getting 4 test matches worth of practice against quality spinners on helpful pitches that Swann and Panesar would by default seem a lot easier to face.

Then again you never know with the Aussie bats because they looked horrible in the recent series.

Well we will not be seeing Panesar unless Swann is is injured. Think Swann will play his part.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Change my answer to Australia. Absolutely Australia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Australia.

1.Being underdogs
    2.Being a team that might threaten India's rankings lesser than England
    3.My favourite team apart from India since childhood
    and few other small reasons like the above..

Would have been a fence-sitter "just hope the players I like do well and it's a close series" three weeks ago, but having to put up with the English media for three weeks trumpeting their side's supposed superiority over us, I'm definitely going for Australia now.

Though Aggers is a lovely bloke...

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Contra View Post
    It'll actually be interesting to see the Aussies vs Spin in England, you would think they would do a lot better after basically getting 4 test matches worth of practice against quality spinners on helpful pitches that Swann and Panesar would by default seem a lot easier to face.
    Interesting definition of quality there.

If the pitches are turners then I don't see that it'll be any easier, in fact it may even be trickier. If they're not turners (which is likely) then they'll suddenly have to face quality seam bowlers on helpful pitches.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Waiting for PEWS to weigh in.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Waiting for PEWS to weigh in.
    I've voted already; pussied out.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Flametree View Post
    Would have been a fence-sitter "just hope the players I like do well and it's a close series" three weeks ago, but having to put up with the English media for three weeks trumpeting their side's supposed superiority over us, I'm definitely going for Australia now.

Though Aggers is a lovely bloke...
    Wait wait, you only discovered the English media three weeks ago? Didn't notice them in the last, oh, century or something?

I only need to think about how patronizing with the rest of the world they are every time they win a bloody game/series in any sport (despite being historically ordinary everywhere) to remember where my allegiance should be in every contest they are competing in (apart against Australia in the noughties, but nobody could root for Australia back then.).

Do I need to remind you of Rugby WC '03? Ashes 2005? The weeks before every major football competition? Michael Vaughan? Daley's repeated jump in the Olympics? He's got one wrong, so they allowed him to reload like in a bloody videogame, and the next day all the tabloids were drooling over his bronze.

The sporting world expects that every man will do his duty: root for an English loss.

Do your part.

(To all the English fans, it's not about you. It's about your media. Stop buying that dung for the love of God! Do it as a favour to us all. After all, we [Romans] civilized you. Yes yes, you gave us all these nice sports since, which is good. But now complete the opera and burn down all the suns and daily things. You have no idea how grateful all of us will be)

[Disclaimer: the bitterness in this post is mainly the result of yesterday's game and yet another wasted night. My actual opinions might be milder]
    It's the pitch, stupid.

Cricket Spectator
    Put me down as a Scot backing England.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Really tough, both sides have players I like (Siddle, Starc, Clarke, Pietersen, Prior, Anderson) and both sides have players I loathe (Watson, Warner, Hughes, Broad, Finn). Australia go in as big underdogs, so I'll probably cheer for them. You all know how much I love a lost cause.
    Last edited by Bahnz; 26-03-2013 at 04:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Australia. I really like the team. And I love the Australian sporting culture (don't dare say the word 'australianism' though ). I think it's a fantastic thing they have going - plus there are so many players who I think are easy to like.

Mainly because they work extremely hard and don't take themselves too seriously once the game is over - obviously lots of exceptions all around (especially recently..) but I do like the general attitude of taking responsibilities (whatever you say about Ponting, the man always took full blame after every loss - no blaming x or y). I like their professionalism, plus guys like Border who I think is just a fantastic role model for other athletes. I hate saying that an all time great player had less 'natural skill' than another (especially someone who scored 11000 runs..) - because concentration is a skill too but I can't get it out of my head that if Allan Border had the skill of Brian Lara, he'd challenge Donald Bradman in average. Yet he still manages to average about the same as Lara and the others, through, what appeared to me, sheer determination and bloody mindedness.

I marvel at guys like Sachin or Lara, but I admire guys like Allan Border. So yea, long story short, as much as I sometimes like to hate on a lot of Australian teams, it's hard not to root for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information