• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yesterday, I made my first bet on this series with an unconfirmed source.

I did a little searching, and the Road to 2009 Ashes thread was started in February 2008 which means this is an appropriate timeframe to start the thread. :whistling

There are some series I'm looking forwards to coming up (the rest of our current series, Saffa at home, India away) but with Australia potentially on the rise again, I now have a keen eye on the summer of 2013 because it could be a slobberknocker.

Key questions for me at this point are:

1. Are Australia 'back' or has this India series masked over cracks in their line-up?
2. Can England sustain the form of the last three years into the next year and a half, including the current series which is on a knife-edge?
3. Which players from either side are likely to miss the cut for this one? And who are candidates to force themselves into contention?

I'm sure this won't be hugely active immediately, but if I know CW it's a thread which will pop up now and again through this year and then start to get really busy. And if the usual 'Road to...' threads are anything to go by, then it's a good place to find Greigys after the fact.

Final thought: 5-0 to England.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I was thinking that, but as the next series afterwards is Australia away it's a bit awkward.

I've no doubt he would like to stay in the job long enough to lead us to another Ashes win, but firstly even if we keep winning, this form can't be tolerated forever.

So two things really.

1 - He needs to start scoring runs again at some point
2 - If he wants to lead us in the 2013 Ashes, he needs to lead us in the 2013-14 Ashes down there too. Can't be debuting a new skipper away to Australia.

Howe_zat

Audio File
What's more worrying is that he genuinely doesn't need to improve to keep his place. That position may be entirely justified - there's a lot to captaincy that we don't see - but I doubt it.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
What's more worrying is that he genuinely doesn't need to improve to keep his place. That position may be entirely justified - there's a lot to captaincy that we don't see - but I doubt it.
Swann has been full of praise for Strauss' leadership, for what it's worth.

As it is I don't think Strauss is in dreadful form - he hasn't scored a century against a team who wasn't Australia for 3 years now, but the Sri Lanka series aside, I don't think he's had a run of form that's been utterly shocking. His big problem at the moment is not converting starts - he's still averaging around 30, which while it isn't great, has tended to be because he's scored plenty of scores that are neither here nor there, as opposed to someone like Morgan who's scored 2 tons, a couple of 50s and a load of single digit useless stuff for his average of 33. And given the massive upturn in England's fortunes that coincide with his leadership, combined with the regard he's held in by his team-mates, I think Strauss' form would have to get a ****load worse before I started calling for his head.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Thread should really be called "Road to 2013/14 Mega Ashes tbh.

I think the series will come down to the batting. I'm still not convinced by Australia's batting - their top 3 this series has been pretty poor, opening stand at Perth aside. Full credit to Ponting and Clarke for getting Australia out of some pretty tricky situations, but I can't help feeling a more relentless attack, like England last winter, wouldn't have let Australia off the hook after picking up 3 early, cheap wickets.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Thread should really be called "Road to 2013/14 Mega Ashes tbh.

I think the series will come down to the batting. I'm still not convinced by Australia's batting - their top 3 this series has been pretty poor, opening stand at Perth aside. Full credit to Ponting and Clarke for getting Australia out of some pretty tricky situations, but I can't help feeling a more relentless attack, like England last winter, wouldn't have let Australia off the hook after picking up 3 early, cheap wickets.
Considered it tbh.

Assuming we get the usual Ashes subforum, hoping they decide to just do one subforum for the both series, epic

Eds

International Debutant
Swann has been full of praise for Strauss' leadership, for what it's worth.

As it is I don't think Strauss is in dreadful form - he hasn't scored a century against a team who wasn't Australia for 3 years now, but the Sri Lanka series aside, I don't think he's had a run of form that's been utterly shocking. His big problem at the moment is not converting starts - he's still averaging around 30, which while it isn't great, has tended to be because he's scored plenty of scores that are neither here nor there, as opposed to someone like Morgan who's scored 2 tons, a couple of 50s and a load of single digit useless stuff for his average of 33. And given the massive upturn in England's fortunes that coincide with his leadership, combined with the regard he's held in by his team-mates, I think Strauss' form would have to get a ****load worse before I started calling for his head.
Agree with all of this.

Swann's praise is huge as well - reading his book, he's generally really critical of most captains (Hussain, Pietersen, Collingwood, etc.). But he heaps the praise onto Strauss. And from some of the stuff he says, the majority of Strauss' work is off the field anyway.

Eds

International Debutant
What did he say about Colly?
No-where near in the same league as the stuff he says about KP, Hussain or Fletcher, but mainly about him not being a "leader of men", which isn't an incredibly harsh insult considering the only real "leaders of men" he's had as captains are Stephen Fleming and Andrew Strauss.

Will have a quick flick through and find the page or so on it.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England will win in England comfortably and will win again in Australia. There, cards on the table now. Unless Australia find some bats from somewhere they will struggle.

Doctor

School Boy/Girl Captain
I envision an English series win, though Australia will put up a decent fight.
1-2 (all other games were drawn due to rain)

• Clarke will either be in terrible, terrible Marsh-esque form or will score 151 on difficult pitches.
  • Pattinson, Siddle, Hilf, Cummins, Starc, Hazlewood, will be rotated to ensure fitness.
  • S.Marsh to be replaced with M.Marsh.
  • Punter's last series, unless he has already retired.
  • Same with Hussey
  • Phil Hughes somehow back into the side, in the middle order, due to a mass of domestic runs
  • Cowan and Warner still opening though.
  • Wade and Neville rotated.
  • Cam Fergie?
  • Lyon will have learnt the doosra and teesra, and this will be his best series to date.

• Strauss to have been dropped. Captain Cook :ph34r:
  • KP comes into the series in horrible form, but scores a double.
  • Broad truly announces himself as a barbie bowler, not an allrounder.
  • Minimal South Africans in the side
  • That guy who hit that t20 style hundred in the England Lions/u19 game vs Bangladesh A/u19 yesterday. (can't remember anything).
  • Trott falls into a lean patch and has been dropped, to be replaced by a young lad with not much more talent.

lets see how thsi goes.

Last edited: