Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 180 1231151101 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: *Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

Yesterday, I made my first bet on this series with an unconfirmed source.

I did a little searching, and the Road to 2009 Ashes thread was started in February 2008 which means this is an appropriate timeframe to start the thread.

There are some series I'm looking forwards to coming up (the rest of our current series, Saffa at home, India away) but with Australia potentially on the rise again, I now have a keen eye on the summer of 2013 because it could be a slobberknocker.

Key questions for me at this point are:

1. Are Australia 'back' or has this India series masked over cracks in their line-up?
    2. Can England sustain the form of the last three years into the next year and a half, including the current series which is on a knife-edge?
    3. Which players from either side are likely to miss the cut for this one? And who are candidates to force themselves into contention?

I'm sure this won't be hugely active immediately, but if I know CW it's a thread which will pop up now and again through this year and then start to get really busy. And if the usual 'Road to...' threads are anything to go by, then it's a good place to find Greigys after the fact.

Final thought: 5-0 to England.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Eds
    Strauss' last series - leading the boys to a whitewash win.
    "If that Swann lad is the future of spin bowling in this country, then we're ****ed." - Nasser Hussain, 1997.

I was thinking that, but as the next series afterwards is Australia away it's a bit awkward.

I've no doubt he would like to stay in the job long enough to lead us to another Ashes win, but firstly even if we keep winning, this form can't be tolerated forever.

So two things really.

1 - He needs to start scoring runs again at some point
    2 - If he wants to lead us in the 2013 Ashes, he needs to lead us in the 2013-14 Ashes down there too. Can't be debuting a new skipper away to Australia.

What's more worrying is that he genuinely doesn't need to improve to keep his place. That position may be entirely justified - there's a lot to captaincy that we don't see - but I doubt it.
    "Your averages, captain, coaches and players can probably survive incompetence over a relatively short series, so if youíre going to be rubbish, make sure itís against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand or someone."

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    James Taylor to dominate.

Won't be picked.

Bairstow to dominate.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    James Taylor to dominate.
    Decent shout

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    What's more worrying is that he genuinely doesn't need to improve to keep his place. That position may be entirely justified - there's a lot to captaincy that we don't see - but I doubt it.
    Swann has been full of praise for Strauss' leadership, for what it's worth.

As it is I don't think Strauss is in dreadful form - he hasn't scored a century against a team who wasn't Australia for 3 years now, but the Sri Lanka series aside, I don't think he's had a run of form that's been utterly shocking. His big problem at the moment is not converting starts - he's still averaging around 30, which while it isn't great, has tended to be because he's scored plenty of scores that are neither here nor there, as opposed to someone like Morgan who's scored 2 tons, a couple of 50s and a load of single digit useless stuff for his average of 33. And given the massive upturn in England's fortunes that coincide with his leadership, combined with the regard he's held in by his team-mates, I think Strauss' form would have to get a ****load worse before I started calling for his head.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Thread should really be called "Road to 2013/14 Mega Ashes tbh.

I think the series will come down to the batting. I'm still not convinced by Australia's batting - their top 3 this series has been pretty poor, opening stand at Perth aside. Full credit to Ponting and Clarke for getting Australia out of some pretty tricky situations, but I can't help feeling a more relentless attack, like England last winter, wouldn't have let Australia off the hook after picking up 3 early, cheap wickets.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Thread should really be called "Road to 2013/14 Mega Ashes tbh.

I think the series will come down to the batting. I'm still not convinced by Australia's batting - their top 3 this series has been pretty poor, opening stand at Perth aside. Full credit to Ponting and Clarke for getting Australia out of some pretty tricky situations, but I can't help feeling a more relentless attack, like England last winter, wouldn't have let Australia off the hook after picking up 3 early, cheap wickets.
    Considered it tbh.

Assuming we get the usual Ashes subforum, hoping they decide to just do one subforum for the both series, epic

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Surprised these series are still on - aren't Australia in a lower tier to us now?

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Surprised these series are still on - aren't Australia in a lower tier to us now?
    Would explain why they've been playing India actually...

Eds
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Swann has been full of praise for Strauss' leadership, for what it's worth.

As it is I don't think Strauss is in dreadful form - he hasn't scored a century against a team who wasn't Australia for 3 years now, but the Sri Lanka series aside, I don't think he's had a run of form that's been utterly shocking. His big problem at the moment is not converting starts - he's still averaging around 30, which while it isn't great, has tended to be because he's scored plenty of scores that are neither here nor there, as opposed to someone like Morgan who's scored 2 tons, a couple of 50s and a load of single digit useless stuff for his average of 33. And given the massive upturn in England's fortunes that coincide with his leadership, combined with the regard he's held in by his team-mates, I think Strauss' form would have to get a ****load worse before I started calling for his head.
    Agree with all of this.

Swann's praise is huge as well - reading his book, he's generally really critical of most captains (Hussain, Pietersen, Collingwood, etc.). But he heaps the praise onto Strauss. And from some of the stuff he says, the majority of Strauss' work is off the field anyway.

What did he say about Colly?

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Won't be picked.

Bairstow to dominate.
    Wee Jimmy Taylor is better than Bairstow.

Page 1 of 180 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread Information