No Marsh is a good thing

Rest of the squad expected, I guess

Smith mightily unlucky

At least Rogers has form and conditions in his favour
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Quote Originally Posted by LongHopCassidy View Post
    Squad as tweeted by Cricinfo:

Clarke (c), Haddin (vc), Cowan, Hughes, Warner, Watson, Khawaja, Rogers, Wade, Faulkner, Harris, Siddle, Pattinson, Starc, Lyon, Bird.

Lyon the sole spinner, fascinating. Another kick in the guts for SOK. No Johnson, Hilf or Smith either; stiff on Smitteh.
    Just got in. Very pleasantly surprised. Not too far from what I was hoping for. No MJ = big tick, No Marsh = massive tick, Rogers = tick for rewarding runs over anything else. I would have kept Smith over Uzi, but not particularly fussed on either. Watson I'd have had in the squad if he was bowling so I'll assume he is, but his place is now be very much performance required or piss off. The quicks are exactly the 5 I'd have picked, and Faulks I'm very much ok with but doubt he'll get a test. Happy enough for Hadds to come in for Wade who would still be a strong shout as the No.6 given the alternatives.

SOK missing out is my only real beef, but he can simply forget it. He should look for a NZ grandparent or something, he'll never get picked for Australia.

Overall, we can do something with this lot.

I'm just happy that Doherty, Maxwell and Johnson didn't make the squad.

I'm a Faulkner fan so keeping my fingers quiet whenever I read anything negative towards him.

The A squad is interesting. Maddinson and Silk getting a spot ahead of Burns is slightly contentious, but all 3 look talented so what are you going to do?

I wonder if the players selected in Australia A will get a jump on the ODI players like Starc.
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

Over 0.2: Putland to Nevill, OUT, no run, full ball swings in late to crash into his pads. Nevill is almost falling over trying to get bat on it but can't. Huge shout for LBW and Umpire Martell eventually raises the finger! P.Nevill - lbw b:Putland 0 (1 ball, 1 minute).

Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    skidmark doesn't wear jeans, believes they are bogan attire ftr

I had him down as a tight jeans and turtleneck kind of guy.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by LongHopCassidy View Post
    Would you be so kind as to address my first statement?

Or is this because you've watched Rogers play and you've drawn your own conclusions?
    Rogers has a very limited game, he can be bogged down easily with disciplined bowling and lacks the game to be able to put the opposition on their heels by manipulating the field when they try and tie him down.

He is like Khawaja without the leg side play and added fire power. For the same reason I haven't wanted Khawaja in the middle order without first serious work on his game (as I have said on this forum on many occasions) I wouldn't want Rogers.

Khawaja has time on his side. Still young and can easily develop those skills. Rogers on the other hand is in the very twilight on his career and I think he lacks the time needed to be able to make this change.

Pity you can't pick that up by reading cricinfo hey Longers?
    Last edited by benchmark00; 23-04-2013 at 08:44 PM.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

I'd hope for:

Warner
    Cowan
    Rogers
    Hughes
    Clarke
    Watson (if bowling - if not then Wade/Khawaja)
    Haddin
    Pattinson
    Harris
    Lyon
    Bird

for the first test. Siddle will get the gig in front of Bird, but I'd go the other way. Sidds would still play a few tests no doubt as injuries/precautionary rests will occur. If we can keep the collapses to a manageable level we can win a test or two with that side.

I wouldn't pick Faulkner unless as a bowler, time to get back to the traditional setup and hopefully Watson pulls his finger out of his ass and bowls to ensure we don't need a bowling all rounder at 7. On the plus at least if the selectors do get the urge to go down that route they won't be picking a Johnson at 7 again.

International Debutant
    Yeah strange one abt Burns missing the a squad. I'd have liked all 3 in but thought he'd be ahead of Maddinson and Silk.

Still: No Marsh.

FBU
    8 left-handed batsmen in the squad. Swann will be very happy.

Australia A squad: Brad Haddin (c), Steve Smith (vc), Jordan Silk, Nick Maddinson, Alex Doolan, Usman Khawaja, Moises Henriques, Ryan Harris, Peter Siddle, Ashton Agar, James Pattinson, Nathan Lyon, Jackson Bird, Chad Sayers.

Read more: Live coverage: 2013 Ashes squad announcement
    Assuming that Burns hasn't been selected because he has a county gig, which I think is the right decision. Apart from the seemingly mandatory kick in the guts for SOK it's a good squad and much better than the last A team joke we sent over last year. Only surprise is that Cowan isn't there seeing as every other non-ODI player seems to be. Bit worried we might be pushing too hard too soon on Agar, but he does look a good package and with Lyon in the squad he's going as No.2 spinner so good experience.

Really did fear we were heading back to Hilditch like selection policies with all the Marsh talk, but both squads selected get it pretty right.

I wonder if the selectors will decide that Rogers is the new Hussey and play him at 6. I could easily see this being the team:

Cowan
    Warner
    Hughes
    Watson
    Clarke
    Rogers
    Haddin
    Siddle
    Harris
    Pattinson
    Lyon

Which is probably close to the best side that we can pick at the moment (provided that Watson bowls).

Oh yeah that's why Burns was overlooked. The same reason Rogers and Cowan aren't in the A team.

There might be 8 lefties in the squad, our top 7 will have just the 4 though in all likelihood so it's not all that bad. The top order lefties will probably be out before Swann comes on lol.

Burns was probably left out since he'll be playing county cricket anyway.

Overall I'm happy with the squad. Wouldn't have minded Smith getting a spot to at least give another right handed option but he'll be in England anyway for the A tour so not too bad.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FBU View Post
    8 left-handed batsmen in the squad. Swann will be very happy.
    i think i once made a joke about swann being over the moon Wade had over-taken Haddin. sorry swanneh
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    I find it slightly weird that Haddin will not be going to the Champions Trophy. I mean, Wade's ODI performances...

Thread Information