• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Looking at those averages makes me slightly concerned that we will think about playing both Wade and Haddin in our XI.

Cowan offers time at the crease which is definitely beneficial for us. If you aren't a fan of his, I just think it would be ridiculous to then not name Rogers as opener.

Valer

First Class Debutant
Looking at those averages makes me slightly concerned that we will think about playing both Wade and Haddin in our XI.

Cowan offers time at the crease which is definitely beneficial for us. If you aren't a fan of his, I just think it would be ridiculous to then not name Rogers as opener.
Wade as an allrounder. Haddin to keep. :ph34r:.

Not to put words in his mouth but my problem with Rogers opening is wanting Twatto there. You either remove our second best batsman from his position and get 2 fresh openers OR you don't get one of Rogers / Watson there.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member

Yes. One would think either Cowan or Rogers will open, with both potentially being in the team.

Could make the case for Watson not playing all together if has has a couple of poor tests initially and the bowlers remain potent.

Sylvester

State Captain
Wade as an allrounder. Haddin to keep. :ph34r:.

Not to put words in his mouth but my problem with Rogers opening is wanting Twatto there. You either remove our second best batsman from his position and get 2 fresh openers OR you don't get one of Rogers / Watson there.
If Watson still chooses not to bowl that could be an option. The selectors picked Quiney partly for his so called bowling despite the fact he only had 3 wickets.

the big bambino

International Captain
We have a bad batting side and in that context I have nothing against Cowan. Except I think he's the worst of a bad bunch. Occupancy without runs isn't much of a recommendation and there's no guarantee he can occupy anyway.

Watson is a better player. He offers more than Cowan. So I'm willing to give him a go to prove if he can get his mojo back. So where to play him? I don't think he can bat at six. All the other spots are taken. His best spot is opener. Who goes; Waner or Cowan?

See ya later Ed.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Bambi, what makes you think all the other positions are taken? Who has the number 4 spot sewn up (Watson's position in the last series).

If you drop Cowan which would seem drastic now, you'd have to be an Australian selector to play Watson opening ahead of Rogers, given the nature of the squad we have picked.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I'd be going in with something resembling this top 7:

1. Ed Cowan
  2. David Warner
  3. Phil Hughes
  4. Chris Rogers
  5. Michael Clarke
  6. Shane Watson (if he bowls)
  7. Brad Haddin

Watson isn't worth his place if he isn't bowling. He's been **** for far too long, and in this form he has no place dealing with a new ball. His front pad is way too big to deal with Broad if he gets it right, and I see Jimmeh finding his edge on a regular basis.

At 6 he'll struggle running between the wickets with the tail, but given they can all bat it shouldn't be that much of an issue. Only concern is him starting against Swanneh. Is Swann better against left handers though? I can't recall.

Cowan occupies the crease, which is what we need. Rogers does the same and is in form - even if he isn't the great white hope the media makes him out to be, odds are he does a better job than Ussie at 4. Hughes gets 3 to start him against pace in the event of an early wicket - and for continuity. Really irrelevant if Warner/Cowan put together some decent partnerships though.

If we get stuck in a situation where Rogers really can't deal with not opening, we shove him up with Warner and chuck Cowan at 3. Did it at NSW a bit, from vague memories. Screws up the continuity but there isn't much else that can be done.

Number 6 if Watson doesn't bowl, though, could go to either Khawaja or Wade. I don't really care, tbh.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What RVD has chosen is what I think you will go with. On paper looks as weak a batting line up as I can ever remember from Australia, good job the game is played on grass.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't see why that'd be so horrible.

Wade's Harold Lloyd tribute act behind the stumps has obscured the fact that he also does a passable impersonation of a test class batsman.

If the #6 spot is between Khawaja and Twatto, then Wade's hat should be in the ring too.

In fact I'd back him to score more runs there than either too; especially when the pressure of being shyte with the gauntlets (and he must be aware of what literally everyone says about his keeping) is removed. Top 7 could be something like:

Rogers
Cowan
Warner
Hughes
Clarke*
Wade
Haddin+

With Twatto as first reserve for a top 4 slot if/when someone pulls up lame/short of the requisite right stuff.

the big bambino

International Captain
Bambi, what makes you think all the other positions are taken? Who has the number 4 spot sewn up (Watson's position in the last series).

If you drop Cowan which would seem drastic now, you'd have to be an Australian selector to play Watson opening ahead of Rogers, given the nature of the squad we have picked.
Hey I'm not that mad. Clarke has 5. Hughes either has 3 or 4. Warner is one opener. Leaves 3 spots. I want to play Watson. His best spot is opener; big pads yadda yadda and all. That suits. The bloke who has to give way is Cowan. No biggy. He's done as well as can be expected. Which is a poor man's Katich. Thanks very much but he's not winning us the series so he makes way.

He can't bat in the middle order so out of the XI he goes. Rogers and Usman get the remainders. If Watson screws up Ed comes back in.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Really not keen on Warner batting three. I'm actually quite open to the idea of him sliding down to five or six but he should either bat lower middle order or open IMO; I don't think three would really suit him at all at this stage of his career.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So many options and so many differing opinions. Brumby, I'm not surprised that you would pick Wade as you feel Khawaja's technique is shoddy, while I really rate the guy. The thing going for Wade is that he has experience batting at 6 where as all the other squad members who are picked for their batting are best suited to a position in the top 4 with the exception of Clarke who is a 5 or 4 obvs, so I guess the question has to be asked to Clarke "Who do you want to be batting with when attempting to rescue our innings"?

Last edited:

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
If Clarke is saving an innings you want someone who can bat time. If no 6 stays with Clarke runs will happen. My money wouldn't be on Watson to be that guy. I would go with Usman or Rogers. I would want Rogers opening instead of Ed if he plays though. Wades batting doesn't matter if he's not keeping. It's not good enough to get him a spot in my team.

The other important thing for Clarke is which Haddin will be walking out to bat? The one who is a solid FC bat or the more recent one who throws his wicket away.

1. Rogers
2. Warner
3. Hughes
4. Usman
5. Clarke
6. Watson

This is how I would go. Assume Clarke doesn't have to save every innings and will be there to tell Watson and Haddin to put away the silly shots and contribute. I could swap Usman to 6 but Watson at 4 has been really poor. Bat 6 and bowl or gtfo.

adub

International Captain
Wade (minus the gloves) could be a long term solution at 6. Probably the best credentialled candidate for the job we have available. If Watson isn't bowling I'd be very tempted to go with him there.