Page 87 of 180 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 2691
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: *Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    wtf, did you miss the part where Watson has averaged 50 in FC cricket?

No one can respect an opinion about a cricketer if that opinion is based upon looking at a scorecard and nothing else.
    His recent test and shield form has been disgusting, posters before me have stated that he has done poorly in the FC games he has played last season. Career averages are fine, but I'm talking about current form, Watson's is crap, Rogers' is quite prolific by SS standards.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Ffs, Watson hasn't done poorly in FC games recently. Like talking to a wall here.

Going to stop replying to you now. In future, when you argue for a cricketer, make sure you have watched him play. I don't mind people disagreeing with me about a player if they can base it on watching them play, but I will not bother with people who base it on a scorecard and a scorecard only.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Ffs, Watson hasn't done poorly in FC games recently. Like talking to a wall here.

Going to stop replying to you now. In future, when you argue for a cricketer, make sure you have watched him play. I don't mind people disagreeing with me about a player if they can base it on watching them play, but I will not bother with people who base it on a scorecard and a scorecard only.
    Oh OK, lecture me then, you're fighting a lone battle here though, 'can't judge till you watch a player', no, that's not true, scorecards are a perfectly good indicator of form, I don't care what you say. As for Watson's FC form, he has barely played SS recently and most of his FC games are tour matches, which count for little. Fact is, Watson looks good, but his returns have been crap lately, Rogers mightn't look as good, but cricket is about runs on the board, not aesthetics.

I'd like to see how many others agree with you, and don't bother replying, if you think your're talking to a wall...

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Judging a player purely on looks is flawed, as it judging a player purely on stats.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Watson has been tried in tests and failed for an extended period (averaged 25 in tests for the last 2 years IIRC)

As such, what he may or may not average in fc is totally irrelevant when it comes to discussing his position in the test team

Watson captained last Test, he is playing next Test barring injury/scared of ghost/failing to do homework.
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Watson has been tried in tests and failed for an extended period (averaged 25 in tests for the last 2 years IIRC)

As such, what he may or may not average in fc is totally irrelevant when it comes to discussing his position in the test team
    I agree, however the problem is that certain people here seem to think that FC and test cricket are entirely different ball-games where you are likely to be prolific in one yet fail at the other. I think he should be under pressure from the top performing FC players for his spot - eg. Rogers.

FC and Test are different though.

There is a reason why Rogers Dussey Butterworth OKeefe don't all feature in our Test team.

Just to make it more clear, I don't necessarily think all four should never be in the Test team but there is some method to the selectors madness most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Watson captained last Test, he is playing next Test barring injury/scared of ghost/failing to do homework.

are we talking swayze here or poltergeist?
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    Judging a player purely on looks is flawed, as it judging a player purely on stats.
    You clearly are having problems distinguishing between looks in terms of aesthetics and looks in terms of seeing a player and determining whether his weaknesses will be too big to be overcome.

International Debutant
    Not picking Dussey I uunderstand. Never seen Butterworth but O'Keefe should atleast make the squad ahead of Doherty. Rogers missed out bcos his prime coincided with an era where there were many better players. They've all retired and I think they'd pick Rogers if he was 5 years younger. I think its his age thats keeping him out of contention now.

Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post

are we talking swayze here or poltergeist?
    Perhaps Swayze now but I meant poltergeist since he's going back to England.

Google 'Watson scared of ghosts'.

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    FC and Test are different though.

There is a reason why Rogers Dussey Butterworth OKeefe don't all feature in our Test team.

Just to make it more clear, I don't necessarily think all four should never be in the Test team but there is some method to the selectors madness most of the time.
    Tbf

Rogers is in one category - not liked

O'Keefe in a second - not liked and may not be any better than a Doherty anyway

Hussey and Butterworth are in a third - uncertainty whether their games will stand up to test cricket

Rogers is obviously the hardest done by as he is, was and forever will be a better batsman than Cowan

The question for the selectors is whether at his age the difference in quality is still as massive as it used to be

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    You clearly are having problems distinguishing between looks in terms of aesthetics and looks in terms of seeing a player and determining whether his weaknesses will be too big to be overcome.
    Never claimed Rogers didn't have weaknesses or a limited game. Just don't believe they are too big to overcome at Test level to contribute to the current Test side.

I don't believe Rogers will average 50 at Test level. But he is capable of averaging in the high 30s, low 40s, if given a chance. Whereas the likes Cowan, Smith and Khawaja would be mid 30s at best, unless there is some major adjustments to their game.

Hughes and Warner will always be able to score match winning/series changing 100s.

Watson you would have to persist with unless the likes of the other three or others average 50 in FC cricket like Rogers for prolonged period.
    Last edited by chaminda_00; 17-04-2013 at 07:03 AM.

Like I said there is a reason why they aren't in the team. Illustrating that you can't solely look at stats which is what Maximas was happy enough to do.

Thread Information