Page 85 of 180 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 2691
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: *Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

  1. #1261
    International Coach uvelocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    seamy road
    Posts
    11,852
    rogers should be in and around the place as a backup, because he has experience. but we shouldnt be dropping anyone for a four eyed colourblind ranga
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

  2. #1262
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dunno. I say Marco you say Polo.
    Posts
    2,112
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    The crux of the matter here.

    I ask e people who are advocating Rogers' selection, how much have you watched of him?
    Not enough because the selectors refuse to pick him.

  3. #1263
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    Not enough because the selectors refuse to pick him.
    Presumably because the selectors do watch him.

    Nah look, I'm not saying Rogers is ****house. He's not, he has a FC record worth respecting.

    My issue is that we have all these people coming out saying its a disgrace he hasn't been picked. It really really isn't.

    Rogers is a quality domestic pro. Unfortunately some people are destined to be that because they have a game that can hold up to state/county cricket but not higher levels. That's fine. What isn't fine is people coming out and saying he would improve the Australian team so much, when he actually wouldn't.

    If you whack Watson, Warner and Hughes in the shield over an extended time they would beat the door down, they would consistently average 50+. Just because they go through form fluctuations at test level it doesn't mean they're no good, it's just that Rogers' form fluctuations don't get noticed.

    Cowan is a little different because he performed solidly over the course of a couple of seasons in the toughest conditions in first class cricket. If he had spent the last couple of seasons in shield he would have clocked up impressive numbers too in all likelihood.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

    Thanks.

  4. #1264
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dunno. I say Marco you say Polo.
    Posts
    2,112
    Well those selectors have included the likes of Hilditch and Invers

    I'm not getting the impression people think he'll turn things around for us. Just that he deserves the chance. Also if Hughes and Watson scored as decently as Rogers at fc level they would deserve a chance: Which they have been given.

    Rogers form at fc level has been better than Cowan's recent solid few years as well. There maybe an element of time has past him by that explains Cowan getting a run while Rogers didn't. I did see him play his test along with a rep game where he made some runs against India I think. And yes he did look limited. So does Hughes. Warner has technical issues. Same with Usman. Smith shapes up funny too. Everything that is said about Rogers can be said about those ahead of him. He just has a weight of runs plus experience in England. Yep he could fail. I just think he deserves the chance against the backdrop of our test team.


  5. #1265
    Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Murali CG
    Posts
    16,305
    I would be very surprised if Cowan scored as many runs as Rogers in FC cricket over the last couple season, if he was given the same chances. He never was anywhere near as prolific as Rogers.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

    Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

    RIP WCC and CW Cricket

    Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

  6. #1266
    International Debutant adub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,938
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Has his own individual style, but it's a bit Chanderpaul-ish in that while he starts off looking weird, he ends up in the right spots to hit the ball. Splays his feet at the crease, back foot points towards third man, front foot towards straight cover.

    If we had some issues with our openers then I can see the reason for his inclusion; if he got picked he'd probably give us Cowan-esque results; probably more likely to turn his half centuries into hundreds though.

    Really, it's just that Rogers has been doing over his whole career what you now only need to do for a season and a half to get picked for Australia. That's why the clamour has come.
    I think he'd go better than Cowan, but I also advocate for him to come in at 3 with Hughes dropping down one. But yeah agree with the rest. 5 years ago leaving him out was a far enough call. But if some mong like Bailey or Voges gets a call up before Rogers well I'll just not bother watching the Ashes because I'll know we're not fair dinkum. It's not a beauty contest, it's a run making contest, and Rogers despite not looking much chop makes runs. That's all that matters in the end.

  7. #1267
    U19 Captain Valer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    -
    Posts
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    I would be very surprised if Cowan scored as many runs as Rogers in FC cricket over the last couple season, if he was given the same chances. He never was anywhere near as prolific as Rogers.
    Tasmania...

  8. #1268
    International Debutant adub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,938
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    If you whack Watson, Warner and Hughes in the shield over an extended time they would beat the door down, they would consistently average 50+. Just because they go through form fluctuations at test level it doesn't mean they're no good, it's just that Rogers' form fluctuations don't get noticed.
    Hughes and Warner yes, Watson no chance. He has never averaged anything like 50. 42 - 43 ain't shabby, by any means, but it ain't 50. Obviously he hasn't had many opportunities to play Shield the last few years, but it's no surprise to me that in the few games he has played for NSW he's been as **** if not ****ter than he has been for Australia. His last Shield 50 was in March 2009 FFS. The seaming conditions that have been carving up top orders would find him out just as fast. LB's and nicks galore.

    What he really needs is a good spell in the Shield to test your theory seeing as he can't make runs in tests either. There is no way on God's green earth that he's a better red ball bat than Rogers no matter how much more attractive he looks making his 20 or 30 before getting out.

  9. #1269
    Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Murali CG
    Posts
    16,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Valer View Post
    Tasmania...
    Mid 40s, not 50s like Rogers. A class below.

    Cowan is just a poor mans Chris Rogers.

  10. #1270
    International 12th Man Tangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Polar Vortex
    Posts
    1,650
    I'd love to know if Invers was told to value ODI and T20 form when selecting the Test team when he was hired or if that his own deal. All that shoul be considered is red ball form/ability.

    I think time has passed Rogers by. He wasn't good enough to get into the test team in his prime. He just gets mentioned now because we have issues they think he can paper over for a season or two.

  11. #1271
    International Debutant adub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,938
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post
    I'd love to know if Invers was told to value ODI and T20 form when selecting the Test team when he was hired or if that his own deal. All that shoul be considered is red ball form/ability.

    I think time has passed Rogers by. He wasn't good enough to get into the test team in his prime. He just gets mentioned now because we have issues they think he can paper over for a season or two.
    I mention him, because he can offer 2 or 3 years of solid performances to take some pressure off the likes of Hughes and Warner in the side, give young guys like Burns, Doolan, Maddinson and Silk a couple of seasons to hone their game and really prove themselves without them being thrown into an underperforming team before they're ready. Those guys need to come through but they are all a long way short of good enough in 2013.

    The arguments against Rogers are he's old and looks ugly. They are weak as piss arguments. Of course if there was some 25y/o about that batted and scored like Greg Chappell we'd all be over that, but in the real world we don't have that luxury. A hard nosed pro like Rogers would be massive boost to the resillience of the side compared to what a show pony like Watson brings.

  12. #1272
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    Quote Originally Posted by adub View Post
    Hughes and Warner yes, Watson no chance. He has never averaged anything like 50. 42 - 43 ain't shabby, by any means, but it ain't 50. Obviously he hasn't had many opportunities to play Shield the last few years, but it's no surprise to me that in the few games he has played for NSW he's been as **** if not ****ter than he has been for Australia. His last Shield 50 was in March 2009 FFS. The seaming conditions that have been carving up top orders would find him out just as fast. LB's and nicks galore.

    What he really needs is a good spell in the Shield to test your theory seeing as he can't make runs in tests either. There is no way on God's green earth that he's a better red ball bat than Rogers no matter how much more attractive he looks making his 20 or 30 before getting out.
    Umm what? Unless I'm looking at different things to you, for first class cricket alone (without test matches) Shane Watson averages pretty much 50...

  13. #1273
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dunno. I say Marco you say Polo.
    Posts
    2,112
    I think adub has the issue on Roger's potential value. Hopefully he can give some value for a couple of seasons giving our younger players more time to develop. I agree his presence in the squad could concentrate the minds of Cowan, Warner and Watson more acutely. A point mentioned by LHC I think.

  14. #1274
    International 12th Man Tangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Polar Vortex
    Posts
    1,650
    While his FC record is good there is still a jump in level to Test cricket. I don't see the point unless we swap him for Cowan. If he comes in and doesn't perform immediately the heat will be on because then a short term fix has achieved nothing.

  15. #1275
    International Debutant adub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,938
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Umm what? Unless I'm looking at different things to you, for first class cricket alone (without test matches) Shane Watson averages pretty much 50...
    His Shield average is 41.8

    Averaged 42.9 or something for Tas
    43.2 or so for Qld
    and is in the 20s for NSW with a top score of 33.

    His last Shield 50 was in Mar 2009 although granted he went on to make a big one with 145.

    His non-test fc record is boosted by a good record in tour games for Australia and a short stint in England where he averaged 80, but you said he'd average 50 in the Shield, and his Shield record in no way indicates that to be right. Even at his best he never did, and the last two years against the red ball have been a long long way short of his best.
    Last edited by adub; 16-04-2013 at 08:38 PM.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Home Ashes to return to free-to-air TV
    By four_or_six in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 17-11-2009, 10:11 AM
  2. Ashes Coming Home
    By SurreyFan in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28-09-2009, 05:41 AM
  3. Herald Sun's Top 50 Ashes Legends
    By The Sean in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 17-07-2009, 01:53 PM
  4. The Google Ashes
    By superkingdave in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 30-06-2009, 01:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •