• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
MJ isn't even in the A squad (but he will probably be in the champions trophy team at the time) so I would say Chadd Sayers is ahead of him in the que

adub

International Captain
I hope benchy wasn't banned for anything to do with our head to head. Disagree with the ****, but all in good fun from my point of view.

And yes Harris, ice up son and stay fit, Starc recover from the surgery, Patto Sidds and Bird no running with scissors. We don't want any Johnson call ups thanks very much.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
MJ isn't even in the A squad (but he will probably be in the champions trophy team at the time) so I would say Chadd Sayers is ahead of him in the que
The fact that he's not in the A squad is really inconsequential because it's only for players not in the ODI team. Not saying Sayers isn't ahead of him but I don't think the A squad is really a pointer to that.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The fact that he's not in the A squad is really inconsequential because it's only for players not in the ODI team. Not saying Sayers isn't ahead of him but I don't think the A squad is really a pointer to that.
What is the state of play over Cummins?

Is he likely to be fit, would be a better selection than MJ if Harris is a non starter.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Talk about his management trying to get him some English league cricket in the second half of their summer.

Some poor sod could die on a wet one.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If that means batting Haddin @ 6 I strongly dislike that idea.
I've got more beef with the idea of Faulkner batting 7 itself than Haddin at 6.

If we want to play five bowlers for some reason (and I really don't think it'd be right tactic at many of the Ashes venues, especially given our relative strengths) then we should just man up and actually play five bowlers. I'd much rather see a 7-11 of something like Pattinson-Starc-Siddle-Harris-Lyon than having Faulkner there who is neither good enough to bat 7 or a Test standard bowler.

Picking six batsmen and bowling Watson a bit is of course my first preference though.

Spikey

like i said before, I don't get the point of Faulkner's selection. McDonald, Agar or Hilf would have made more sense. Faulkner batting @ 7 in an attack with 5 bowlers does not make sense

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I wasn't saying I think Faulkner would do well, I just hope if given the chance he would somehow prosper. He did average 20 with the ball and was more than handy with the bat though.

I don't see Faulkner coming into the team batting above number 8, but then he isn't really a frontline bowler either so I share the concerns we all have about him. Invers has labelled him the bowling all-rounder though, so maybe he is meant to be a number 8?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
like i said before, I don't get the point of Faulkner's selection. McDonald, Agar or Hilf would have made more sense. Faulkner batting @ 7 in an attack with 5 bowlers does not make sense
Pretty sure Hilf is injured.

Would've much preferred Henriques or Butterworth to Faulkner if they wanted someone in that role, although that will no doubt surprise absolutely no-one.

Spikey

probably be fit by the tour won't he? (and i mean why not give him the chance of being fit?)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Faulkner there as the 2nd left armer. You know you have to play a left armer for variety, when Strac gets injured. ;)

I think non selection of a 2nd spinner was good and bold move. Basically stating no one is good enough outside Ahmed. But they miss a trick when they selected a 2nd all rounder for the sake it. When none have been good enough with both bat and bowl. I say Faulkner not far off with the ball.

No doubt Faulkner talented but playing someone at 7 who does have FC century to his name would be a really poor call. The Ashes isn't a tour you blood someone just for experience.

They should have picked another batsmen or no one at all.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Faulkner there as the 2nd left armer. You know you have to play a left armer for variety, when Strac gets injured. ;)

I think non selection of a 2nd spinner was good and bold move. Basically stating no one is good enough outside Ahmed. But they miss a trick when they selected a 2nd all rounder for the sake it. When none have been good enough with both bat and bowl. I say Faulkner not far off with the ball..
I don't think Lyon is far ahead of anyone, although his international stats are decent and he plays well against non sub-continent teams he didn't make an impact at FC level last season at all. I think both Agar and O'Keeffe are really close to him, and Ahmed has the potential to be much more dangerous. Our spin bowling stocks aren't as bare as everyone says, our selectors simply got it horribly wrong in India and Agar/Ahmed are a little lacking in experience.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lots of discussion about Oz but not much about England yet

Anyway, some good and some bad for them

The good is that Tremlett and Bresnan are back playing

Whilst I dont really rate Bresnan, Tremlett is IMO the second best English pace bowler when fit so this will come as a huge boost

Bad is that KP is out of the CT and there must be question marks as to whether he will be ready for the first test

His absence/lack of match fitness could cause big problems as the potential replacements arent a patch on him at this stage

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
England have tried some different young batsmen with limited success, I've been disappointed with Bairstow but I though James Taylor looked OK against SA. Root is obviously the pick of them and Compton seems to be able to hold his own. Their bowling is very settled and very good, but they struggled in NZ at times, It's hard to predict much about England before the home series against NZ, so we'll soon see...

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't think Lyon is far ahead of anyone, although his international stats are decent and he plays well against non sub-continent teams he didn't make an impact at FC level last season at all. I think both Agar and O'Keeffe are really close to him, and Ahmed has the potential to be much more dangerous. Our spin bowling stocks aren't as bare as everyone says, our selectors simply got it horribly wrong in India and Agar/Ahmed are a little lacking in experience.
Surely the fact that we have to rush Ahmed's citizenship process speaks volumes about how bare our spin stocks really are.

And Agar should not play a Test yet. No way.

flibbertyjibber

Lots of discussion about Oz but not much about England yet

Anyway, some good and some bad for them

The good is that Tremlett and Bresnan are back playing

Whilst I dont really rate Bresnan, Tremlett is IMO the second best English pace bowler when fit so this will come as a huge boost

Bad is that KP is out of the CT and there must be question marks as to whether he will be ready for the first test

His absence/lack of match fitness could cause big problems as the potential replacements arent a patch on him at this stage
That discussion will come once the side is selected for the NZ series.

Good to see that Swann is bowling in the nets again and he looked to be bowling it rather than just putting it there like he had on a few occasions pre op. Obviously very difficult to tell off just a couple of pictures on news but certainly looked ok.

KP is the only worry really, you wonder if he should have had an op earlier as he obviously has a serious problem and the way they are trying to manage it isn't working. Time will tell if they have this one right though.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think Lyon that far ahead of rest, personally would have O'Keefe ahead of him. But the spinners are a long way behind the Aussie quicks. It really just a case of one spinner or none.

The same as it should be for the all rounders, Watson or an extra batsmen.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Surely the fact that we have to rush Ahmed's citizenship process speaks volumes about how bare our spin stocks really are.

And Agar should not play a Test yet. No way.
I think it actually speaks volumes of how good Ahmed is, and yes I agree that Agar shouldn't be playing tests, he needs 2 more domestic seasons I fancy.