• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
That's the point, Rogers isn't a better opener than (in no order) Cowan, Hughes, Warner or Watson. Meaning he should be (not that he will be) competing for a middle order spot, not an opening spot. Marsh is a better middle order batsman than Rogers.

Anyone who has been following my posting on this topic will tell you I've been consistent with this. But hey, bring up how many runs Rogers has made at FC level, that will get you everywhere.
To throw my 2c in here, I think Rogers should bat in the middle order. Our opening partnership is one of the only things working with our batting as of late, and I am really not a fan of adjusting the order to suit a new person coming in; if Rogers can't bat anywhere in the top 6 then he is obviously not a test standard batsman.

(I am delighted for Rogers btw, just making the point)

adub

International Captain
gunna be so lols if rogers doesn't even play a test
Not really. You could make a reasonable argument that the top 5 of Warner, Cowan, Hughes, Watson and Clarke is kinda settled and that Khawaja deserves the shot to come in at 6. It's not one I agree with, but it's not outrageous. If that line up performed in the early tests then no change would be made outside of injury.

Still I doubt it's much different to Haddin. They aren't selecting 35 year olds for a development experience.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Why you guys being such ****s to benchmark00?

Common sense should prevail in this discussion, surely. Rogers's been picked because he's a solid citizen, and that's what we need at the moment, for two reasons- First, our batting is falling apart regularly, and second, Clarke doesn't really need to be putting up with disciplinary **** (which Marsh has a record of). No drama with Rogers being picked, in actual fact I think he's probably the best opener in Australia right now.

However, Marsh is without doubt a big talent. When he's in the zone, he looks as good as anyone in the world (and I mean that). Makes batting looks ridiculously easy. SHOULD have played 30+ tests by now. Based on raw batting talent (not stats), he's probably better than everyone in Australia bar Clarke. But, yeh, one suspects he'll retire without a legacy. But anyone can see that he's a massive talent, who could easily dominate at test level.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So Benchmark, who do you think should be in the squad for Rogers? Just curious
A middle order batsman.

And if you're asking who that should be, in my opinion it is one of Doolan, Smith or Marsh. Whichever one it doesn't matter. Smith is probably least suited to the conditions, so that leaves Doolan or Marsh.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Common sense should prevail in this discussion, surely. Rogers's been picked because he's a solid citizen, and that's what we need at the moment, for two reasons- First, our batting is falling apart regularly, and second, Clarke doesn't really need to be putting up with disciplinary **** (which Marsh has a record of). No drama with Rogers being picked, in actual fact I think he's probably the best opener in Australia right now.
Well, there's a reason Rogers hasn't played more test cricket than he has, and it isn't down to ability.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'd be surprised, the hierarchy in England seem to be giving Finn every chance, and he'll be bowling in One Day stuff which he's suited to beforehand to keep the momentum.

I don't think that the lay down is there that Bressie will come back bowling just how he was pre-injury that quickly, either.
I'd wait and see. They showed a lot of faith in Bresnan pre-op, even though he was hampered and he adds the batting depth which Flower loves, which may be a factor when number 6 is still so open. Finn has only really came in to replace Bresnan so I wouldn't be shocked to see him below him in the pecking order if Bresnan returns and is more like his old self.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Thanks Benchmark, as much as I like Rogers' selection you have a very legitimate point about the team balance issues he creates.

Just had a look at the A team and I found that Joe Burns had missed out, very disappointing to see that when Madison got a place.

Also, wasn't the (national team) squad meant to be 17 players with two spinners? I can't help thinking that Fawad Ahmed is going to be added as soon as his passport is sorted, thoughts?

Edit: Shaun Marsh also missed out on both, so where did all those rumours come from about him making the national squad??

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I actually think Rogers is a better opener than Cowan. I don't think dropping the latter for the former is a particularly great idea at the moment though.
I dont think that there is any doubt about that

I also think that the Poms would love to see Hughes walk out as opener and Watto hardly has the opposition quaking in their boots atm

Anyway, there are couple of months before the first test and if Rogers scores more heavily than Cowan in CC during that time, then he should be in IMO

benchmark00

Thanks Benchmark, as much as I like Rogers' selection you have a very legitimate point about the team balance issues he creates.

Just had a look at the A team and I found that Joe Burns had missed out, very disappointing to see that when Madison got a place.

Also, wasn't the (national team) squad meant to be 17 players with two spinners? I can't help thinking that Fawad Ahmed is going to be added as soon as his passport is sorted, thoughts?

Edit: Shaun Marsh also missed out on both, so where did all those rumours come from about him making the national squad??
Australia only have one international standard spin bowler. No point picking a back up spinner if you're not going to play a back up spinner if the first goes down.

I think Australia will have the opportunity to go with an all pace attack at least once during the series.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I dont think that there is any doubt about that

I also think that the Poms would love to see Hughes walk out as opener and Watto hardly has the opposition quaking in their boots atm

Anyway, there are couple of months before the first test and if Rogers scores more heavily than Cowan in CC during that time, then he should be in IMO
That's pretty tough on Cowan considering how hard he fought in India, but I can understand the logic. As much as FC form is a good indicator, you can't really drop a guy who was among the only decent batsmen in the last international tour.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Really? Heard plenty of borderline character assassinations against him.
Fair enough, not denying that. I've never heard anything personally. I do have an a link to the Vic Sheffield Shield team (don't want to sound like a wanker there) and I've heard a few stories about a few players, but nothing about Rogers.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's pretty tough on Cowan considering how hard he fought in India, but I can understand the logic. As much as FC form is a good indicator, you can't really drop a guy who was among the only decent batsmen in the last international tour.
I regard the current top 5 as being

Warner
Cowan
Hughes
Watson
Cowan

Of the above, I would regard Warner (has the ability to turn a match in a couple of sessions) and Clarke as being locked in for the first test

Cowan has found his level, Hughes is a massive disapointment and Watson's batting form dictates that shouldnt be considered unless he is fit to bowl

Furthermore, when 4/5 cant average 40 in tests then we are truly ****ed the day that they are considered indispensible

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member

Burns is playing country cricket so they didn't call him up.

Marsh is likely to be in ODI squad, which runs at the same time to the A tour. Same reason why Voges and Bailey didn't get selected.

I reckon Rogers is meant to be a wake up call to like of Cowan and Watson that they need to score Test centuries in the first 2-3 tests or they are going to get dropped. Like Cribb I reckon Rogers is better opener then Cowan, but I doubt they pick in the first Test. He will get a couple Test to pull his finger out and score a century. Rogers should be in the squad as top order batsmen reserve.

Wade and Khawaja are the middle order batting reserves. I am not sure Khawaja is good option at 6, for the same reasons Rogers would struggle at 6. The idea of Warner at 6.

The number 6 spot is massive issue for Australia. But the batsmen not in squad don't provide any confidence either. I could see Rogers more likely to be in century partnership with Clarke, but them score about 20 and Clarke about 80. Rogers is more likely to bat for long period and support someone like Clarke when the top order collapses.

uvelocity

International Coach
yeah rogers is cowan/hughes insurance imo. and a good move too.

got to say i rate our bowling attack miles higher than englands, but their batting higher than ours.

Burgey

Lyon frothing at the prospect of a keeper catching a edge or taking a stumping. No wonder he's prematurely bald.